Clipless

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Clipless

Post by MichaelScott »

Let’s see some of your clip-free Spydercos.

Some minority of us here like certain Spydercos sans clips. Here is one of mine:

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Re: Clipless

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’m sorry, but that’s not going to happen, sir.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sonoma

Post by sonoma »

I like your knife Michael Scott.I spent the last month in Pagosa Springs and Durango.You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful state.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sonoma wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 pm
I like your knife Michael Scott.I spent the last month in Pagosa Springs and Durango.You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful state.
Thank you, sir. Yes and it’s more varied than most people think. Durango and Pagosa Springs are beautiful places and not too far from where we live.

This is just west of our little town by a couple of miles:

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I will keep the clip on my Para Military 2. It’s out of the way and the knife is big enough to warrant one.

After removing them from the One-Eyed Jack and Lum Chinese folder it’s like having new knives. They feel so much better in hand. Their ergonomics can shine and perform as intended. They are small and light enough to carry easily in the pocket.

I don’t need them to be so quickly available that taking one out of a pocket is no big deal.

Other people’s requirements may differ but I suspect every pocket knife does not need a clip.

Team Innovation
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 pm

I don’t need them to be so quickly available that taking one out of a pocket is no big deal.

Other people’s requirements may differ but I suspect every pocket knife does not need a clip.
I don't need them out of pocket quickly and my Endura 1 has the plastic clip that can't be removed. I also like how it feels in the palm.

In addition, if my hands are covered in blood prefer slipping it into my pocket so the clip stops it so I don't have to put my filthy hand in again to get it out.

But I can see why some don't like clips.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Aside from their automatics, pretty much every Spyderco I carry either came without a clip or has had it removed. Of the later, these two were the most challenging because of the way the Kopa's clip was mounted.

Unscrewing the clip, easy. Getting rid of the divot it leaves behind, not so much...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:16 am
Aside from their automatics, pretty much every Spyderco I carry either came without a clip or has had it removed. Of the later, these two were the most challenging because of the way the Kopa's clip was mounted.

Unscrewing the clip, easy. Getting rid of the divot it leaves behind, not so much...

Hi Paul, may I ask, how DID you accomplish that? Thanks :rolleyes:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:07 am

Steve Rice (STR on the forums) silver soldered screws into the clip holes to fill them. He then ground down the bolster and screws to eliminate the divot and finished it to match the others. It's not a "perfect" solution, in that it leaves a noticeable concave spot in the bolster, but I knew that going in and, to me at least, it looks 1000% better than just removing the clip and it gave me two Kopas that I actually enjoy carrying. It also wasn't an easy job. After the first one, Steve was VERY reluctant to do the second, but I talked him into it. After that, he said "Never Again!, Don't even ask!".
Paul
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:07 am

Steve Rice (STR on the forums) silver soldered screws into the clip holes to fill them. He then ground down the bolster and screws to eliminate the divot and finished it to match the others. It's not a "perfect" solution, in that it leaves a noticeable concave spot in the bolster, but I knew that going in and, to me at least, it looks 1000% better than just removing the clip and it gave me two Kopas that I actually enjoy carrying. It also wasn't an easy job. After the first one, Steve was VERY reluctant to do the second, but I talked him into it. After that, he said "Never Again!, Don't even ask!".
I think it looks very nice! He did a great job.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I find the clip gives me a place to grip when one hand opening, especially the Dfly. Like night and day with and without the clip, so even if I drop it in my pocket, the clip stays there.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Some knives need one, but I agree with you. Some carry much better when the clip is removed.
I tend to find more grip when my knives have a clip, so I leave them on. However, I always send the clip to the tip up carry position if my knife arrives with the clip tip down.

FWIW I’ve been to Durango and even rode the train up there! I used to live in the springs, and my mom found that area fascinating enough to convince my dad into taking us down there for a weekend. It’s a beautiful place! I love the history around there.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:01 am
I think it looks very nice! He did a great job.

Steve did some great work back when he was modding Spydercos but, like a lot of others, he's moved on to other things. Here are a couple more examples of his work, neither of which has any provision for a clip.

The bottom Stretch in the photo below started off looking exactly like the top one, stainless steel handle with Kraton inlays. Back in '07 Steve took it apart, reused the blade and internals, and replaced the handle slabs with lignum vitae scales over titanium liners. Been my most carried large folder ever since.

He'd done a similar job on this one a year earlier. It started out as an Atlantic Salt with a one piece FRN handle. It wound up with a titanium backspacer and birdseye maple scales over ti liners. He also gave the blade a more wharnciiffe style tip. It's my favorite "rainy day carry".

Paul
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Some minority of us here like certain Spydercos sans clips. Here is one of mine:

Such a beautiful knife.
Its like the Nilakka; Im covered in regards to my cutting needs and that size knives but its so good looking and I want one bad.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can’t imagine a liner lock banging around in my pocket, at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 am
I find the clip gives me a place to grip when one hand opening, especially the Dfly. Like night and day with and without the clip, so even if I drop it in my pocket, the clip stays there.

This is especially important on some models for me, for example closing a Manix 2 is a lot easier if it has a clip for my fingers to grab onto.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

While back I used to carry a Native clipless in coin pocket. I recently took the clip off a Native after I rounded, or chamfered, both inside and outside edges of the handles. For when I just want to have a knife in my pocket.

Last edited by anycal on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

No pics but I took the clip of my delica and often drop that on my pocket. Sometimes I will throw my bradley air (its clipless) in there for a change.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderScout wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:45 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Such a beautiful knife.
Its like the Nilakka; Im covered in regards to my cutting needs and that size knives but its so good looking and I want one bad.
The longer I have it the more I like it. It doesn’t have grippy G10, it’s heavier than similar size knives and there is no choil or guard protecting your index finger, but it’s so balanced, old-school cool and the file work on the back spacer alone makes me smile.

Get one while you can. :D

Team Innovation