ATR ™ 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: ATR ™ 2

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm
Titanium is nice and all but I agree, for a knife that's supposed to be the epitome of tactical it makes more sense to have a grippy handle material. If it had to be titanium it needed some kind of machining for grip texture.

I can see that, but to me the integral compression lock was one of the defining features of the model. When it became clear that the ATR 2 dropped the integral lock and was going to be another $$$ Seki model in black g10 and s30v, I figured it was doomed.

Had they been able to simply do a ti/g10 sprint of the original model, I think people would have been tripping over themselves to buy it, like with the Lum Tanto sprint.
:spyder:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:18 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Sal, is there any chance of the all Ti handle ATR ever coming back?
Probably not.

sal
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

Pulled the trigger on KC. Temptation was to strong. Hard to resist @$140. May have a buyer remorse later, but at least I would have a great knife with stand out design.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:01 pm
Pulled the trigger on KC. Temptation was to strong. Hard to resist @$140. May have a buyer remorse later, but at least I would have a great knife with stand out design.
You won't regret it. I got mine from kc on Saturday. Been in my work pants since then. Mine was a little stiff out of the box, but some dry lube and daily use broke it in just fine. It's truly a perfect knife for me with the opening hood and paired with the compression lock makes it the best to manipulate in gloves.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
kirill.sergueev

I was deciding between PM2 and ATR-2. Went to my local brick and mortar store and talked to the owner. I had a big desire to help local economy and support his small business. But he told me that he would not have a discount on ATR-2 and it is going to stay where it is. The difference is so huge. So I decided to go ahead with online ordering. Feel guilty though since I got pretty good picture what ATR is on his store. On the bright side I have already bought 5 knifes from him this year.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Meh. Not your fault for maximizing your $. Not his fault B&M is circling the drain. Adapt or die.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Interesting history.
I never got a welcome off Sal, I feel all left out now 🤣
kirill.sergueev

Just got ATR-2. It looks and feels like a great knife. Very smooth. But I am just curious does it have Teflon washers? I did not disassemble it but it looks like washers are white and made of plastic. Very strange. I hope that I am mistaken.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:30 pm
Just got ATR-2. It looks and feels like a great knife. Very smooth. But I am just curious does it have Teflon washers? I did not disassemble it but it looks like washers are white and made of plastic. Very strange. I hope that I am mistaken.

You’re not mistaken.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
kirill.sergueev

Got it. It does have Teflon washers. Just wandering why $210+ Spyderco knife has washers as $10 gas station "Zomby apocalypses" masterpiece? Any engineering reason?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Have you ever had a teflon washer fail on you?
:unicorn
kirill.sergueev

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 pm
Yes, I had.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I forgot I still had a $50 gift certificate to KC from points earned there. Decided this was a good time to make sure I don't miss out on the ATR!

An ATR2 and G10 Stretch on the way! I will get to see why the ATR is held in such high regard by so many people.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Vivi wrote:

I have had them break during reassembly. Wouldn’t have happened with a pb washer.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
vivi

Post by vivi »

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 pm
Vivi wrote:
Yes, I had.
which knife?
:unicorn
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hinderer XM-18

@liquid_cobra
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Just got my ATR2.Great size, finish & style. Action very smooth and free. And the cobra hood is a plus. It is my new edc, for now.
Mike
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ugh not a bad price now. Too bad. Others I want more and I'm getting rid of redundancies of this style / pou in my collection. Traded my shaman even. The Manic 5 BL and BM Presidio 2 do it for me more than any other in this class.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
kirill.sergueev

On a positive side despite Teflon washers knife is fantastic. Just curious if Spyderco use a permanent thread-locker on it. Can I disassemble it for cleaning /lubrication without voiding the warranties? The instruction booklet does not provide straight answer on it.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I got my ATR 2 yesterday. Had I known it had teflon washers I might not have bought it. That said I am glad I got it. Some day I might get around to fitting some PB washers for it and my Dice.