BladeHQ video and Joyce

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: BladeHQ video and Joyce

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:09 pm
JDSpydo is going to freak out when he sees that SE Massad Ayoob :D

I know, right? I wonder where he is lately. Normally, he would have sniffed this out. Hope he’s okay.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I hope it's not frustration with how a topic went in off topic that pushed him away.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

I know, right? I wonder where he is lately. Normally, he would have sniffed this out. Hope he’s okay.
Hopefully he's just been busy. Been a little distracted by the outside world myself the last few weeks.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Finally got around to watching the video. Good stuff!

What's most interesting is the breakdown between collectors and non-collectors, and then the breakdown between customizers and non-customizers. Looks like the same kind of variety seen in the ELU market is also seen at Spyderco!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Fun video. I love the passion demonstrated by the Spydercrew.

On the top five of all time list, my guess is that the list is the result of a poll at Blade HQ, and not a ranking of sales figures.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey Spyder Crew, any chance you'd post some close ups of that 40th anniv. to this thread? I'd really like to see one with a little wear on it. Im too chicken to cut anything tougher than cardboard with mine.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Neat video.

That blue advocate looks nice. Wonder how much it'd add to the cost of the knife to do that in production?

I love seeing an old discontinued model getting some love. Instantly thought of JD like everyone else when I saw it. This makes me think just maybe he might get his dream of a sprint run, seeing it get appreciation from Spydercos crew like that. I like the wear visible on it too, used knives look so much better than new.

I can see why he loves it so much even though I've never held one, it looks like it would be a crazy good cutter with the angle of the blade and the large handle to get leverage on.

Girls pants definitely do have tiny pockets. I'd hate trying to EDC all the junk I carry in them!

I've never thought to do file work to a clip like that. That's a neat mod.

Gotta agree with the guy carrying the 40th Native. The best thing you can do with a knife that nice is use it.

The Southard is one of those Spydercos that I always liked, but never ended up buying.

I liked the comment about trying other brands. Spyderco makes my favorite folders, but I made the mistake of ignoring other brands for a few years. I was missing out on some useful designs.

Well, I'm off to write a review. Wouldn't mind busting up some firewood with that axe. Not as much fun as a car but it's something, haha.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It's so funny, I was playing this vid and listening while my back was turned making coffee, when I heard Ayoob, I immediately turned around and thought JD will love this.

Like Vivi said, that custom fileworked clip was a really nice mod.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:46 am
Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Hopefully he's just been busy. Been a little distracted by the outside world myself the last few weeks.
Rumors of my demise or imprisonment have been greatly exaggerated as my fellow Missourian "Mark Twain" used to say :D Yeah I've been as busy as a "beaver trying to clog up the Missouri River :eek: >> but I wouldn't have missed this thread even for the next KC Chiefs game coming up :rolleyes: >> and GOD Love Patrick Mahomes by the way :cool:

My fellow forumite, the well respected Doc Snubnose actually did a "meat test" with the Spyderedged version of the C-60 Massad Ayoob and the results were astounding. No it doesn't surprise me that Ms Joyce chooses the C-60 as her main EDC>> because I'm willing to bet that she isn't the only one at the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY to select that model.

Actually I remember her saying that on an old "C-60 Ayoob" thread that I did over at Bladeforums some time back>> so no this is no surprise to me at all. The Spyderedged and PE C-60 Massad Ayoob model is way overdue for another Sprint Run :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 am
It's so funny, I was playing this vid and listening while my back was turned making coffee, when I heard Ayoob, I immediately turned around and thought JD will love this.

Love it!!!?? I'll go one further than that>> Because the C-60 is one of the Spyderco models I live for :cool: It's high time the C-60 in Spyderedge or plain edge either one gets to be in the neon lights.

Now just think of what a C-60 Ayoob would be like in a newer/better blade steel ( especially in Spyderedge :cool: ). I would even love a new C-60 Ayoob in plain edge with one of the supersteels. It's so unfortunate that this most iconic model has got such little fanfare in the past year or so. It's time for that to change>> and I mean quickly :cool:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm
xceptnl wrote:

Love it!!!?? I'll go one further than that>> Because the C-60 is one of the Spyderco models I live for :cool: It's high time the C-60 in Spyderedge or plain edge either one gets to be in the neon lights.

Now just think of what a C-60 Ayoob would be like in a newer/better blade steel ( especially in Spyderedge :cool: ). I would even love a new C-60 Ayoob in plain edge with one of the supersteels. It's so unfortunate that this most iconic model has got such little fanfare in the past year or so. It's time for that to change>> and I mean quickly :cool:

The Ayoob is a model I would like to try out sometime, especially in SE. Unfortunately I came to the Spyderco party a bit late.

JD, what kind of upgraded steel would you want for a serrated Ayoob? H-1?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

The Ayoob is a model I would like to try out sometime, especially in SE. Unfortunately I came to the Spyderco party a bit late.

I'd be pleased to see it in H1, M390 or XHP
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SE H1 and Titanium sounds like a winner.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

I'd be pleased to see it in H1, M390 or XHP
OK Landon you want to see "PERFECT" here is the scenario for PERFECT. The return of the C-60 Ayoob in PE & SE both>> the PE C-60 Ayoob in M390 and the SE version of the Ayoob in XHP.. And my response would be "Life Doesn't Get Any Better Than That" :cool: