Pacific Salt H1 Serrated Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Pacific Salt H1 Serrated Sharpening

Post by The Meat man »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm
To make sure you get both sides of each scallop. That’s the difference.
Exactly. The sharpening rod tends to "hop" over the edge of each serration as I drag it across.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Exactly. The sharpening rod tends to "hop" over the edge of each serration as I drag it across.

Nice way of putting it. I figured that out right away after I learned to properly sharpen SE. Even when you move slow, it makes sense.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I thought it sounded good in theory but when I tried it, things didn't look any different VS doing strokes all in one direction. Maybe I need to try again. I did the sharpie method and messed around with my pacific salt on the medium rods and got similar results either way.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You're probably hitting the whole scallop then, Vivi. Keep doing what works. I just do it because it does make sense in my head.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I used to do that but don’t anymore. I have found that if I go slow with light pressure then I hit the entire scallop with just downstrokes. The microbevel I can see after years of sharpening confirms this. Like Jazz said though, if you’re getting good results and it’s working for you then you’re doing it right. .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I must be doing something wrong with regular passes, I've done the sharpie thing and see missed spots along the edge. Alternating direction fixed that. I think it has something to do with how well worn the edge is, this seems like a bigger issue with new blades where the humps are more pronounced. At least that's where it's the biggest problem for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I agree, Dave. Especially on something like my Salt 1 with super pointy serrations. Definitely easy to hop over those. The shallow wharnie Delica serrations are the complete opposite. I’d still alternate on it though.
- best wishes, Jazz.