Stainless Kopa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kiteman72

Re: Stainless Kopa

Post by Kiteman72 »

holeshot wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:49 pm
camvdcs wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 am
Looks like DLT has them.
DLT has one less now. :)
Well, I saw that DLT was sold out so i checked KW and snagged (I think) the last one. I know a many retailers probably haven't got theirs yet, but I'm happy to have snagged one. Wish it hadn't dropped so close to the forum knife tho, my wallet is aching.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ordered one from KW last Thursday, it arrived yesterday. Still intend to get my pre-order from KC when it arrives. Time for me to start thinking about how I want one engraved, in terms of style and coverage, and who I want to do it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:17 am
Ordered one from KW last Thursday, it arrived yesterday. Still intend to get my pre-order from KC when it arrives. Time for me to start thinking about how I want one engraved, in terms of style and coverage, and who I want to do it.
Paul, I’ve seen some pictures of your engraved knives and they do look very nice to say the least. Out of curiosity could I please ask, what does engraving cost as a ball park figure? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 am
Paul, I’ve seen some pictures of your engraved knives and they do look very nice to say the least. Out of curiosity could I please ask, what does engraving cost as a ball park figure? :)

Thanks, Bloke. Good hand engraving is not cheap. The style of engraving and the engraver's credentials are going to influence the cost, as would the price of any precious metals used for inlays. It's been a while since I had any done, so my estimates may be low, but for the type of scroll engraving on most of my engraved knives I'd figure between $50 and $100 per square inch of coverage, depending on who does the work.
Paul
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 am
Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks, Bloke. Good hand engraving is not cheap. The style of engraving and the engraver's credentials are going to influence the cost, as would the price of any precious metals used for inlays. It's been a while since I had any done, so my estimates may be low, but for the type of scroll engraving on most of my engraved knives I'd figure between $50 and $100 per square inch of coverage, depending on who does the work.
Thanks Paul. I can see the variables now and I’d assume their may not be too many craftsmen offerings their services so even $100 per square inch seems quite reasonable for fine and intricate detail.

From pictures, the Kiwi in your avatar is certainly a very tasteful work of art. I’d imagine it’s even better in real life and I don’t mind admitting I’m a little envious of it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 am
Thanks Paul. I can see the variables now and I’d assume their may not be too many craftsmen offerings their services so even $100 per square inch seems quite reasonable for fine and intricate detail.

From pictures, the Kiwi in your avatar is certainly a very tasteful work of art. I’d imagine it’s even better in real life and I don’t mind admitting I’m a little envious of it. :)

Surprisingly, in this age of automated everything, there are more than you might imagine. The Firearms Engravers Guild of America lists 46 "master engravers" and 63 other member engravers (including David Clevinger, who did the engraving on the Kiwi in my avatar. Not surprisingly, given its name, almost all its members are locatated in the USA, so I'm sure there are considerably more excellent engravers worldwide. It's also no surprise, at least to me, that many here (and probably abroad) work mostly on firearms as they've provided a canvas for engraving for centuries.

And yes, that Kiwi looks even better in my hand. :) It's one of my favorites and gets carried quite a bit.
Paul
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Man, if I end up picking up one of these, I'd definitely get it engraved.

How well does the engraving hold up to pocket wear? coins/keys etc?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 am
Man, if I end up picking up one of these, I'd definitely get it engraved.

How well does the engraving hold up to pocket wear? coins/keys etc?

The Kiwi in my avatar was engraved 10 years ago this past July and, while I'd say it's been carried for at least 500 days during that time. Aside from some fading of whatever was used to blacken the background, I'd say it looks as good as new. However, regardless of which Kiwi I'm carrying, I carry it in the coin pocket of my jeans and never shares that pocket with keys, coins, or anything else. I've also carried the two Kopas I had modded there, so that's one option if you wear jeans with a large enough coin pocket. That said, a minor scratch that would stand out like a sore thumb on a smooth surface tend to be far less noticeable on one that's engraved.
Paul
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Something to consider, thank you!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!