Really bad cut.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Really bad cut.

Post by tps3443 »

I knew my knife was sharp. But, I did not think it was that sharp. Just wow.

Guys I cut half way through my finger today. Just wanted to share my story. The Tenacious with the factory edge on it sliced in to the top of my middle finger and filleted in to bone. After I realized what happen, I nearly fainted! My hands started to fill with blood like I was scooping water from a river with my hands.

I was cutting a strap on a bundle of wood 1x1 wood slats, when a very small piece of wood fell down and just barely tapped the back of my blade in to my finger.

Right when it happen, the first thoughts through my mind were, how did it do that, surgical sharp, precision cutting, scalpels, and nausea, and disgust, ^ those were the words running through my mind. It was a scary clean cut, I didn’t feel it at all, only I looked and saw the flat grind Tenacious blade half deep in to my finger at an angle.

I crazy glued it back together, I still have feeling in the tip. I was attempting to take a photo with this forum in my mind, of just how dumb this was. but I covered my phone in blood in the progress

Be careful everyone. A very scary slice indeed. It was a accident. I can hardly use my left hand. Hope it heals fast!
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Evil D

Re: Really bad cut.

Post by Evil D »

If you hit the bone you probably should get stitches. Gluing it shut isn't the best idea if it's really that deep.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Knives are cool tools, but definitely can be dangerous. Heal quick and be careful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Yikes! Get well soon.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

This all happen at Lowe’s home improvement store. The wood I needed was a shelf about level with my head. I cut a couple straps after confirming I could use this wood. I started to grab a few pieces of it. after I pulled a few boards down. I was closing my knife liner lock with my right thumb, and I was going to close the blade with the back of my left hand. And this little wood block that came out of no where, it only looked a few ounces in weight fell on my knife.

My finger was talking pretty bad.

I’m going to make sure I take extra care from now on. The level of sharpness is just scary.
“My daily razor blade”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah you def need stitches if it cut to the bone. Crazy glue MAY work, but it may not heal properly, and a deep cut is quite liable to reopen (maybe tomorrow) when the glue starts to dissolve.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ouch! :eek:

Hope you heal up soon!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

The cut is in between my nail and the main joint on top of my middle finger. Going down diagonal towards my hand. I glued it shut pretty well, it may be to late for stitches in the morning. I’ll try to keep it straight.
“My daily razor blade”
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ouch. I stepped on my para3... freak accident. Healed quickly, but don’t get complacent! They cut indiscriminately.
setldown

Post by setldown »

If you wait overnight they won't stitch it. Reason being the risk of infection is greater and they don't want to seal a high probability of infection in with sutures. Ask me how I know. :o
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

You have 24 hours from the time you make a new hole to get it stitched. If you haven't already, go in the morning. I got a BM 51 lodged in my wrist last March. Seven stitches later, my wife won't let me have balisongs anymore.
imagejpeg_0_26.jpg
Last edited by joeldworkin307 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blues

Post by blues »

Get the stitches to be certain you won't lose use, mobility or risk infection / nerve damage.

I've been stitched up from knife cuts a few times. Once self inflicted. (15 stitches in my right thumb.)

Once inflicted by someone else. (Left index fingertip grafted back together.)
- Retired from the chase -
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wow, that is really too bad. Get stitched up, that sounds way too serious to "ride it out" on your own. I ride out a lot of stuff, but what you describe is over the line. A good reminder to all of us.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I dropped a kizer off the side of my chair and as I was doing something with my other hand not thinking I reached down expecting to just feel around, grab the handle and be off but it had opened, I picked it up and that fall shut action Guillotined me over the first knuckles.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tps,

Sorry bout that. Hope you heal soon. I average about a cut a month.

sal
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Super glue is a knife nut's best friend. If it's just a small cut I always prefer super glue over a band aid. Just nicked my thumb yesterday with my Para 3 slicing a piece of tape. I agree though, get it checked out by a doctor!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Commercially available super glue isn't the safest thing for cuts. Especially deep gashes. I'm also in the get it checked by a doctor group.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Don't risk severe infection. Go to a doctor ASAP.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Heal well friend.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

IMO it’s more about the risk of infection than anything. Did you clean the wound before applying superglue? How clean do you think your hand was and the knife blade was when you were cut? When using superglue to seal a wound you run the risk of glueing in bacteria and that infects the wound.

We’re not trying to give you a hard time, we’re just genuinely worried and looking out for you. Please go see a doctor and take care!