Spyderco Knives in Aus Japanese Steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Knives in Aus Japanese Steel?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are there or have there ever been any Spyderco knives with blades made of AUS 8 series steel or other AUS series steel? And would you want them in this exquisitely strong, sharp, and satiny steel?

How about a Spyderco knife with a 3 mm thick blade made of this stainless steel and FRN handles?
The Meat man

Re: Spyderco Knives in Aus Japanese Steel?

Post by The Meat man »

I believe a lot of earlier Spyderco knives were in AUS-8. I don't think they use it anymore though.

There's nothing wrong with AUS-8 but with all the other steel options now available, I'd consider it a step backwards for Spyderco to start using it again.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am
Are there or have there ever been any Spyderco knives with blades made of AUS 8 series steel or other AUS series steel? And would you want them in this exquisitely strong, sharp, and satiny steel?

How about a Spyderco knife with a 3 mm thick blade made of this stainless steel and FRN handles?
A steel isn’t sharp. Some can take more acute edge angles than others or hold an edge longer. There are plenty of steels that are tough enough for most everything except batoning, it’s relative to what you’re using the knife for. My point is there are tons of great steels available and there isn’t a specific reason to go with Aus-8 anymore. I would argue there are better low and medium carbide steels. There’s nothing wrong with AUS-8, but I think the fact it doesn’t have any unique characteristics and it’s a common steel from years ago make it less attractive to customers.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Aus 8 is a bit... old fashioned...
Just look at things like the Ontario Rats and Esee zancudo-
Best thing they did was ditch the aus8 and move to D2-
Aus 8 isn’t a bad steel but compared to modern steels it’s mediocre.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Spyderco used Aus 6, 8 and 10.
And would you want them in this exquisitely strong, sharp, and satiny steel?
Huh?

:)

Joe
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
... Spyderco knives with blades made of AUS 8 series steel ... with a 3 mm thick blade made of this stainless steel and FRN handles?
Why don't you buy C26 Snap-It or C30 Remote Release or C33 Pro-Grip and get an own picture?
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm
Huh?

Joe
He’s on a roll today, just check Off Topic.
Nate

Post by Nate »

As noted, some early Spydercos were in AUS steels. Gin-1/G2 is also very similar iirc. Closest thing in current production would be 8Cr13MoV.
:spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think BD1 is a step up from AUS8 myself. Takes a better edge, holds it a little longer, while still being one of the easiest steels to sharpen.
:unicorn
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Bd1n
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
awa54

Post by awa54 »

One of my favorite Spyderco imported knives from the pre-clip days (pre- me using clipped knives, not pre Spyderco making clips) is the Moki 920, in AUS 8, it takes a great edge easily and holds it well enough to be acceptable as a light task EDC. But Moki's HT on AUS 8 steel is definitely a cut above much of what is/was out there.

My only experience with AUS 6 is Global kitchen knives, which are easy to sharpen and corrosion resistant, but it's unexceptional as far as edge retention.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Aus-8 is fine. I enjoy it in my little Ontario RAT-2. But I wouldn't be agitating for it in any new Spydercos. Go snag a RAT-2 if you are itching for some AUS-8 (but maybe they have moved on to D2? I think you can chose ....). What we itch and scratch for these days is Cruwear, or so it seems.
SpyderEdgeForever

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm
Huh?

Joe

It seems to be very durable and has a good satin finish to it when made right.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sjucaveman wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:21 pm
Bd1n
Actually, yes, I would like to see more Spyderco blades made from BD1N. I hope they get BD1N Byrds in.
SpyderEdgeForever

Cujobob wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

A steel isn’t sharp. Some can take more acute edge angles than others or hold an edge longer. There are plenty of steels that are tough enough for most everything except batoning, it’s relative to what you’re using the knife for. My point is there are tons of great steels available and there isn’t a specific reason to go with Aus-8 anymore. I would argue there are better low and medium carbide steels. There’s nothing wrong with AUS-8, but I think the fact it doesn’t have any unique characteristics and it’s a common steel from years ago make it less attractive to customers.
I must admit, this point is very good. Considering the fact that we now have such steel as Lc200N, why would I want AUS?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It seems to be very durable and has a good satin finish to it when made right.
I was just looking at a Hattori fixed blade in Aus 8 and it indeed was beautiful like you describe. To be honest though it is just the way they finished the knife and not really because the steel takes a superior finish. The higher the finish the more steps are involved which translates directly to cost. I like it but I'd rather put the extra money into a higher performing steel, heat treat,finish combination. Aus 8 performs very closely to the 8C knives IME. There are much higher performing Spyderco's already.

They put out an all steel Native model in Aus 10 some years back. There were only like 300 made and the plain edge version is very difficult to come by as Spydercos go. I used to have one and gifted it to a friend. It was a cool knife. :) That was back in the small blue box with foil days.

Joe
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

May original Endura Clip It is in Aus 8 with serrated blade, 30 years on it's still going strong.
Love it and purchased a couple more as "Bush knives" so I don't lose my original.

Yes, as others have said their are more modern steels but it does what it was designed to do.

Hvae progressed to buying an Pacific Salt in H1 for Salt / Fishing although my original Endura spent
6 years in and out of Salt water and has never rusted,
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.