Heirloom Spyders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Heirloom Spyders?

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 pm
For me, heirloom means something I can give to my kids and they can use / appreciate them as much as I have. By that definition... all my Spydies fit the bill. I believe they are built for 2 lifetimes of use. That being said, I'll play.

Fluted Ti Millie
CF bolstered Caly 3
Any Kiwi or Kopa
CF ZDP Stretch
That's a great summation of what could be viewed as an heirloom. But taking into consideration of what "Bodog" just shared with us I would bet your kids would much more prefer the Spyder that you EDCed and used the most. Just my opinion :)

You are so right about many of these Spyderco models being capable of being used for 2 lifetimes>> because my Stainless RESCUE I believe could go for 3 lifetimes :cool: Because now I am really angry with myself for trading my very first Spyder which was a Stainless handled, GIN-1, full SE MARINER model. I wish now I would have kept it to give to one of my nephews.

This past summer I got a deep sea fishing reel stolen from me that was left to me by my favorite uncle who died and left me all his fishing tackle ( most of which I still have). But I don't even want to know who took it because of my close relationship I had with my uncle. Because it made me so angry that I might be tempted to do something really stupid. That's how much some heirlooms have meant to me.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Thinking of heirlooms, I'm not sure that these knives would mean the same thing to my heirs as they do to me, even though I have heirs that have interests in knives. Here is my list that means a lot to me.

2 screw Worker
All Q's
Original R
Kopa's
Kiwi's
40th Anniversary Native
World Trade Center Knife
Spyker
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

An old beat up first generation Police Model that was given to me by my cousin, and her boyfriend when I graduated the Police Academy. They even had my name engraved on the blade. It saw many tours, and now sits in my safe. My kid will get it one day.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What would be an heirloom? Pretty much for those left after I’m dead I suppose. I’d nominate my One-Eyed Jack, which os going to my brother from a different mother Howard. He will understand. As to the remainder of my Spydercos, who knows? My daughter really likes knives so she might go for the Lum Chinese folder exclusive. Son will probably like the Chaparral. The rest, who knows?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think that most if not all Spydercos are "heirloom quality." In fact, I think a minor reason that I collect them is I wonder when the peak of our civilization will be, and think that at any moment I might actually be holding the best handheld cutting technology humans are ever able to produce. This sounds weird but I do genuinely think it's possible, not hyperbole.

More to the question, which is which spyderco knives would I be most proud to pass on?

Kris
All of my Rs (as JD mentioned)
"Stealth" Chaparral
2018 Forum PM2 (I think this has to be here, since I'm buying it specifically for this purpose)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:38 am
I think that most if not all Spydercos are "heirloom quality."

More to the question, which is which spyderco knives would I be most proud to pass on?

Kris
All of my Rs (as JD mentioned)
"Stealth" Chaparral
2018 Forum PM2 (I think this has to be here, since I'm buying it specifically for this purpose)
I think most people would think of an "heirloom" as being an item made with "high quality" standards. Sentimentality is most likely the most prolific factor on what you might deem as being "heirloom" quality.

Like the old "KUTMASTER" pocket knife that my dad left me by today's standards really doesn't even rate on a quality basis when compared to most high end cutlery made from the mid 90s till now. But considering that it was in my dad's pocket for about 30 years puts a lot memory factor to it.

But I do agree that most if not all products with Spyderco's name on them are of an "Heirloom Quality">> that is if quality is a qualifier. It would be to me>> because I wouldn't give my nephews any dime store, rip-mart, landfill destined crap to keep to remember me by. No I would like them to think better of me. And for that reason I would go out of my way to pass on something that I deemed to be great quality>> at least during the time I was using it or collecting it.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

There are a few well worn spydies in my collection, that I'd consider heirlooms because of the time I spent with them.
Looking at 'special' features, I'd pick my santa fe stoneworks Kiwi that my wife gave me for our wedding, the WTC, the 25th anniversary Delica and the 40th anniversary Native.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram