V-2 or ZDP-189?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: V-2 or ZDP-189?

Post by TomAiello »

supracor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm
Spyderco doesn't harden it how it should be hardened, because Zdp was created for reaching expressly 67/68 HRc.
Does anyone have HRC numbers for Spyderco ZDP?

I have several ZDP Spydies (three Dragonflies, and Endura and a Delica) and a ZDP Al Mar, and they all seem to behave about the same. I have by far the most time with the Dragonflies, though, so my comparison may not have a complete enough basis.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 am
I must have. :confused:

sal

lol!!

Thanks for doing that great Sprint run in *V-Toku2* Sal, although it would have been quite novel to have a blade made from recycled V-2 rockets ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 am
Hi Luke,

Where did you get a V-2 Delica?

sal
Ramzar listed it as released on July 31. So many releases, it’s hard to keep up.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 am
I must have. :confused:

sal
Don't you worry. I'll sell you mine for a great markup, I mean price. :D
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

supracor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Zdp is stainless in a commercial sense.
With the right ht not only all Chromium is bonded in carbides, but it contains also Cementite.
Spyderco doesn't harden it how it should be hardened, because Zdp was created for reaching expressly 67/68 HRc.
"Should be" is pretty specific; Spyderco has tried different tempers for ZDP blades, and they've worked with their HT guy in Seki to find a useful compromise. When they ran them harder for the mule team project, people had blades snapping. Maybe that was due to some other error on the part of the HT team, and maybe Spyderco could afford to run a little harder than they do in the clipits, but a lot of this is an experimental compromise without a specific desired outcome to target.

I couldn't sharpen my ZDP Caly3 to a 10DPS edge angle without pretty severe stability problems, so what does more hardness really get you?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I heard Hitahi insists on HT to be done by them on all ZDP, is that true?
Chris :spyder:
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I would say vtoku 2 is much tougher in the edge stability area, zdp189 is stainless but I have heard of it rusting on people and possibly even forming a patina, but should resist most rust and or patina and also have higher edge retention, also would be much harder to sharpen then vtoku2, but with vtoku2 being a laminated steel only the cutting edge area and spine could develop a patina or maybe rust, but with care it should be fine, ofc I'm not an expert also so don't quote me
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ZDP 189 is my preference, where else can you get such an exotic and high end steel on $500 kitchen knives in a $100 folder? :D

Cuts longer, takes a crisp edge, more edge aggression and less reactive the V2.

V2 wasn't my absolute favorite, with the HT Spyderco has it's very tough at the edge. Not very aggressive, not the longest edge holding, faster to sharpen and less picky about what stones are used.

I didn't notice the tungsten doing a whole lot in the V2.

I liked the aogami super blue much, much better, although not as tough as the V2.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives