Need Your Input - Which to Buy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Need Your Input - Which to Buy?

Post by p_atrick »

I noticed that all the knives you mentioned are on the smaller side. Are there legal restrictions where you live, or do you just prefer a smaller blade? If you are open to a larger blade, I'd recommend the Endura 4 Hap40 exclusive from Cutlery Shoppe. It's just over a hundred bucks, so I think this offers a great value for what you get. As mentioned above, check out their S90V Native 5 if you want a smaller blade.
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

Lil Native Compression Lock! Perfect smaller EDC... :)
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sage 5 with compression lock a super slicer and will not scare people. I gave up caring and carry my Militaries. :) of course most of the people in my office conceal carry anyway.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Native 5 G10 S110V

or

Calypso Jr SB
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

The native 5 is a great knife I don’t have any experience with the lightweight version but I really like mine full weight version. Someone else also suggested the lil native with the comp lock, I don’t have experience with it but I love the comp lock and I have heard nothing but good things about the little native so maybe give that a try. Another great option under 100$ would be the chaparral LW it’s a great slicer and it disappears in the pocket. Can’t wait to hear what you end up picking.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
lsulaw12

Post by lsulaw12 »

No size restrictions at all where I live. And I do own several larger knives including a PM2 and a Domino. I think I’ve just come to prefer the FRN spydies as they represent (for me) that sweet spot of still being a “nice” knife, but also a knife that I’m not worried about using or abusing.

Seems most have recommended the Native 5, and that’s what I’m leaning towards. Plus I already have a Delica in V-Toku2, so I’m covered there, right?

So I think it will be the S110V or Maxamet. But then again, there is the Native Salt in LC200N coming soon... :)
ZDP-189 Delica 4, Chaparral FRN, Super Blue Calypso, Jr., HAP40 Dragonfly 2
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Of the ones you mention - Caly Jr in Superblue.
Reason being, if you don't like it you can resell a sprint run easier.

Have you looked at the Chaparral FRN or Rhino? Both fall under $150. I work in a hospital and both those models are on my radar.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

lsulaw12 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:38 am
I do own two compression locks (PM2 and Para3), as well as three Axis locks (Griptillian, Nakamura, and 940). I suppose I'm identifying these three knives because I am a fan of Spyderco's FRN durability, thin profiles, ergos, and just everyday usability.

Perhaps I should have narrowed my question to the particular steels at issue: Hap40, S110V, Maxamet, or Super Blue. Any clear winners?

lol, they're all clear winners, just depends on what you want from a steel...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Super Blue will be the easiest to touch up, and takes a crazy sharp edge. It is also the least corrosion resistant, and will patina almost instantly on contact with acidic food.

HAP40 will be a bit better at resisting corrosion than Super Blue, but still, it's not stainless. It'll also hold an edge longer than SB while still being pretty easy to touch up and maintain.

Maxamet is the king of edge retention. I also find it quite reasonably tough as well. (The other day I used my N5 Maxamet to cut a length of extension power cord into tiny pieces. No chipping or loss of sharpness whatsoever.) It appears to do exceptionally well on fibrous materials like rope. It's not stainless, although I'd say better than CPM M4. It will take more time to touch up and sharpen than the previous steels mentioned, but it's not impossible and doesn't require special equipment.

CPM S110V is the king of stainless edge retention. It's up there with Maxamet. I've found it to be a bit less forgiving than Maxamet in toughness, and maybe a bit more difficult to sharpen. It's edge holding, though is phenomenal - especially when cutting abrasive media like cardboard. It'll lose its hair-popping edge fairly quickly, but settle into a sharp, paper-slicing working edge for practically forever.
It's also about the very best in corrosion resistance outside of LC200N and H-1.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"