My NEW Spyderco Tenacious!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: My NEW Spyderco Tenacious!

Post by tps3443 »

Here’s a picture of both sides of the blade. Looks normal to me. I’m kinda OCD about things.

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 am
My Tenacious does not have that issue, my resilience didn’t have it either. Very strange.
Those are photos of the Polestar, a knife that's very similar to the Tenacious but made at a different Chinese factory with a different steel and somewhat higher MSRP. The Polestar is like a cross between a Tenacious and a Byrd Raven 2. I posted those pics as an example of an issue that the Polestar has which the Tenacious does not, despite the higher price and theoretically superior F&F of the Polestar.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 am
Probably the most unusual issue with the Polestar/Alcyone (and you won't be able to unsee this) is that the Spyderco logo is wrong, on both the blade and the clip. As somebody who has been involved with the development of corporate identities for the past 20 years, I can say that this sort of thing is a serious problem. Large corporations usually have very strict guidelines about what color their logo can be printed in, what background colors it can be printed on and soforth. Printing an altered logo directly on a product would typically be a non-starter.

Maybe I'm missing something but it's logo on the blade of the Tenacious that appears to be a little different (really only in color) from the rest of their blades. What you're showing on the blade of the Polestar looks very similar to what's on all the other Spyderco knives I have. I'll also point out that the various factories that Spyderco uses to produce their knives use different techniques to engrave the logo on the blades. So there can be some slight variances to how they appear. The general shape should be pretty much the same though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:40 am
tps3443 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 am
My Tenacious does not have that issue, my resilience didn’t have it either. Very strange.
Those are photos of the Polestar, a knife that's very similar to the Tenacious but made at a different Chinese factory with a different steel and somewhat higher MSRP. The Polestar is like a cross between a Tenacious and a Byrd Raven 2. I posted those pics as an example of an issue that the Polestar has which the Tenacious does not, despite the higher price and theoretically superior F&F of the Polestar.

Oh ok. I was confused. After I saw the pictures, I started examining my blade for defects lol
“My daily razor blade”
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 pm
Maybe I'm missing something but it's logo on the blade of the Tenacious that appears to be a little different (really only in color) from the rest of their blades. What you're showing on the blade of the Polestar looks very similar to what's on all the other Spyderco knives I have. I'll also point out that the various factories that Spyderco uses to produce their knives use different techniques to engrave the logo on the blades. So there can be some slight variances to how they appear. The general shape should be pretty much the same though.
What I'm talking about is not a variation in the color or the engraving method. The head portion of the logo on the Polestar/Alcyone is the wrong shape. I looked at current production models from all of the other factories and they all have the correct basic outline, allowing for different engraving methods and rendering sizes. The correct head outline is made from two circles overlapping an equilateral triangle. The head outline on the Polestar/Alcyone logo is more like three convex peaks.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 am

That is weird. I see the differences in the eyes and no triangle either.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

So is one of those a fake? Or manufactured in different areas? I’m honestly upset about fake Spyderco’s existing, I know it’s inevitable. Anytime you read a bad review on any specific Spyderco knife, the person talks about how it fell apart, or blade cracked. Usually that reviewer unknowingly purchased a Chinese replica at a high price and they don’t even know it, so they write a review thinking it’s just a bad knife lol.
“My daily razor blade”
TCnML

Post by TCnML »

Very nice. The Tenacious is what started my addiction.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

All of the knives pictured in this thread are authentic. The Tenacious fakes are pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for. They have round heads on the standoff screws, the jimping is too shallow and more rounded, and the print on the blade is incorrectly aligned. I haven't seen any fake Polestars yet.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Understood. Yea I just read through a older thread in regards to a fake tenacious. The Spider has a filled in triangle on the logo, and a silver bushing on the knife swivel portion, and those rounded grip screw heads.
“My daily razor blade”
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Just got one of those recently. It's really solid and I like it. Sort of like a budget military :)

Re: fake spydercos, this never occurred to me. I can't believe folk would sell counterfeit knives as real. I know folk do that with watches, but usually they sell them AS FAKES and people know they are buying a knockoff. It's bad enuff inasmuch as it is ripping off the company, but at least it isn't conning the buyer. But to sell fake as real... That's low. Like lower than a tax-collector in a wagon rut low.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Yes the fake Spyderco craze worries me. I do not mind paying a high price, or full MSRP. Just to know I’m getting a real version of the knife I want.
“My daily razor blade”
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Forget the knife; tell us about the HK!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Kidding (well - half). Tenacious is a great knife and a great value.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

dreadpirate wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:51 pm
Forget the knife; tell us about the HK!
If I could only have 1 gun that’s it, it’s just one of those guns that will never fail no matter what environment it is exposed to. I’ve got the KAC Suppressor for it in jail, waiting on ATF approval to come back.
“My daily razor blade”
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The USP45 is a great sidearm. I've owned the regular model and the tactical for about 10 years now. After thousands of rounds of standard and +P ammo I don't think I've had a single malfunction. The HK45 is also really nice.

I used to want a Mk.23 but after actually handling one it just felt too big and clunky compared to the USP.