Can't open my St Nicks Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xander3Zero

Re: Can't open my St Nicks Para 3

Post by Xander3Zero »

Sorry guys I am pretty new here and must be misinformed. I was under the impression that disassembling your knife voided the factory warranty? How would removing the pivot screw not be considered disassembly?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Xander3Zero wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:39 am
Sorry guys I am pretty new here and must be misinformed. I was under the impression that disassembling your knife voided the factory warranty? How would removing the pivot screw not be considered disassembly?
No problem Xander. We are all here to help each other. This was a real hot topic maybe 2 years ago. Maybe even a little less. That used to be the policy and spyderco listened and made a change. This also tied in with the red locktite discussion, which they also changed. You can search for “taking knives apart” and get a bit of the discussion. Sal basically says they get back hundreds of knives a week from people who took them apart and mucked them up.
Be careful. Get good hardened tools if you are going to disassemble. Wiha is frequently recommended. Use heat to ease up the thread locker. Stripping screw heads is a lot easier than any of us would like.
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 pm
Xander3Zero wrote:
No problem Xander. We are all here to help each other. This was a real hot topic maybe 2 years ago. Maybe even a little less. That used to be the policy and spyderco listened and made a change. This also tied in with the red locktite discussion, which they also changed. You can search for “taking knives apart” and get a bit of the discussion. Sal basically says they get back hundreds of knives a week from people who took them apart and mucked them up.
Be careful. Get good hardened tools if you are going to disassemble. Wiha is frequently recommended. Use heat to ease up the thread locker. Stripping screw heads is a lot easier than any of us would like.
Yeah I have seen that thread and looked through it a bit. So is the conclusion that Spyderco will still honor the warranty unless its clearly apparent that the end user has abused the knife or caused some damage during disassembly/assembly?

I have proper tools and have no problems disassembling/maintaining knives. These are pocket knives, not rocket ships lol. I am also typically one to own up to my mistakes, so if I were to damage something there is no way I'd even attempt to send it in for warranty work.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Slumblor wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:35 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:16 am
Sjucaveman wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
They might just on international orders.
This.

I would call them and ask. They may even go so far as to thread lock the pivot themselves, but like I said I'd like to at least know this ahead of time. It's really hard for me to believe Spyderco did this, this is the first I've ever seen of a pivot so tight that the blade wouldn't open.
I asked st nicks and they confirmed they did this to help with customs
Would have been nice if they told us or left a note about it in the box. I still don't understand why it would help with customs though.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Rutger wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 pm
Slumblor wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sjucaveman wrote:
This.

I would call them and ask. They may even go so far as to thread lock the pivot themselves, but like I said I'd like to at least know this ahead of time. It's really hard for me to believe Spyderco did this, this is the first I've ever seen of a pivot so tight that the blade wouldn't open.
Would have been nice if they told us or left a note about it in the box. I still don't understand why it would help with customs though.

There's an issue with importation to Canada right now, where knives that can be flicked open *may* be confiscated by Canadian customs.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Well i am not from in Canada. But this one definitely didn't flick open. Would be better if they only did it on request of Canadians.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Xander3Zero wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:07 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 pm
Xander3Zero wrote:
Yeah I have seen that thread and looked through it a bit. So is the conclusion that Spyderco will still honor the warranty unless its clearly apparent that the end user has abused the knife or caused some damage during disassembly/assembly?

I have proper tools and have no problems disassembling/maintaining knives. These are pocket knives, not rocket ships lol. I am also typically one to own up to my mistakes, so if I were to damage something there is no way I'd even attempt to send it in for warranty work.
Good man Xander. I think you will fit in nicely.yes, take responsibility for your actions and you should be fine. Sadly, it seems that spyderco has to deal with every knucklehead and yahoo who ever owned a knife and thinks spyderco will fix every screw up for no charge. I’m sure they get a few fakes. Imagine that conversation. “Your buddy sold you a fake and we are not responsible for it’s poor performance”.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Slumblor wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sjucaveman wrote:
This.

Did they actually take the screws out and apply threadlock, or just tighten them down? If they just tightened them then I don't see the big deal. Grab a Torx bit and loosen them. Problem solved.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 pm
Did they actually take the screws out and apply threadlock, or just tighten them down? If they just tightened them then I don't see the big deal. Grab a Torx bit and loosen them. Problem solved.
I assumed they just tightened it down without removing it. That is exactly what I did, loosened it off and adjusted to where it had good action, I normally adjust it anyway. I had no concerns about warranty.