Lil’ Native & Chaparral LW: a user’s test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Lil’ Native & Chaparral LW: a user’s test

Post by MichaelScott »

I have a Lil’ Native compression lock knife and will soon have a Chaparral LW (FRN). These two are so different in design and specifications that comparisons along those parameters would be not meaningful. At least for me. I am interested in determining which will be the better daily user knife for my needs. There is much to like about both. I think that using them for a period to perform equal and equivalent tasks might highlight which one suits me better.

So, I intend to compare the two initially, then use them for a while and report back here. This will not be an objective test. It will be my purely subjective comments and opinion. Their specifications are readily available so I won’t bother you with another recitation of them.

Should be fun.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Re: Lil’ Native & Chaparral LW: a user’s test

Post by The Meat man »

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts Michael.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Of the pile of spydercos to come and go through my hands I don’t see me parting with either of them- they are only just different enough to justify keeping both but since the Chappy is so cheap it’s not worth selling and the native is so banged up I couldn’t sell it if I wanted too.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You know I think I will put the Rhino into the mix too. It is small and different enough that it would make a good “spoiler “.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Looking forward to reading your results.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:46 pm
You know I think I will put the Rhino into the mix too. It is small and different enough that it would make a good “spoiler “.

By the way, have you considered getting one of the recent Calypso Jr Super Blue sprints? It's about in the same size class and I find it to be a great user knife, well-designed for the hand. Nice thin slicey blade in a great steel. (If you don't mind non-stainless steels). I have a feeling you'd enjoy it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I considered it and watched the flurry of posts as people tried to find them. But, I’m not so taken with the design. I like the Chaparral better. Looks like a great small knife though.

Team Innovation
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

I've actually been carrying my Superblue Caly Jr. and I love it. I also carried my Lil' Native in dlc and serrations before that and loved it. I have the lightweight Chapparral coming tomorrow so I'll compare the 3 after the Chappy.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nice! Looking forward to your impressions.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

So far I’ve had to adjust the Chaparral out of the box. It is working fine now. That is not a ding on the knife, rather a QC issue by the maker I would think. Of the three, the ergonomics of the handle are best on the Rhino. I’d say, so far, those of the Lil’ Native and the Chaparral are a toss-up. Different, but I can’t say one is better for me than the other. Perhaps the Lil’ Native will prove the more comfortable, but I will need more time to determine that. Time and use may change that opinion.

I think the Lil’ Native slices fine but the Chaparral slices finer, obviously because of its thinner blade. But the difference isn’t enough to be a consideration for most people. The same for the thinness. So far it hasn’t made much of a difference in pocket carry. The Lil’ Native and the Rhino aren’t that much thicker than the Chaparral. And they are all light weights.

I’d say the Lil’ Native and Chaparral have blade shapes that are more simple and easier to use intuitively but the Rhino has more options in that regard. There is a learning curve, both in use and in sharpening required for the Rhino to be used to its full potential.

More after I get more road time on these.

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

How do you find the ergos on the clips on the three?
For me the lil native was a bit stabby
Chappy was great
Rhino I haven’t played with
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m away on a medical visit so I will comment tomorrow.

Team Innovation