Has this ever happened to anyone else? Finger injury from spyder flipping...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Finger injury from spyder flipping...

Post by lonerider1013 »

So never really ever cut myself with a spyderco. But I did wear a hole nearly thru a fingernail...

So I've been using my middle finger to flick the blade open. Tried it this morning and "ouch" it hurt. Looked at my finger. Turns out there's a dent worn in the fingernail halfway up to where it meets the skin -- apparently corresponding tot he edge of the spyderhole.
Guess I'm fiddling with them too much while watching tv or reading or whatever.

Has this ever happened to you? How to prevent it? The whole thing is weird...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Sharp Guy

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone else? Finger injury from spyder flipping...

Post by Sharp Guy »

What model are you trying to flick open?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
lonerider1013

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone else? Finger injury from spyder flipping...

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well I been alternating between Delica, Endura and para3 this past week... lately the endura...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:19 pm
Well I been alternating between Delica, Endura and para3 this past week... lately the endura...
In general, back locks aren't very flicking friendly. It's doable but it takes a really strong flick. No wonder you wore out your finger.

I don't even bother with trying to flick open back locks. Even when I can flick 'em open I think it's hard on the lock and a good way to induce lock rock prematurely. It's not worth it to me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks! Glad to find this out now rather than later... fingernails grow back, lock mechanisms don't!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 pm
lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:19 pm
In general, back locks aren't very flicking friendly. It's doable but it takes a really strong flick. No wonder you wore out your finger.

I don't even bother with trying to flick open back locks. Even when I can flick 'em open I think it's hard on the lock and a good way to induce lock rock prematurely. It's not worth it to me.

+1 Dang, you have a strong middle finger! I don't really practice or fidget with flicking much, buy my Para 3s are the only ones I can flick with semi-regularity. I get scared im going to slip and slice myself so I rarely do it anyways. I can't even come close to budging any of my backlocks with my middle finger.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've accidentally flicked my Advocate clean out of my hand trying to do the middle finger open. Fortunately didn't harm anything. I have since stopped trying to middle finger flick open that knife. It has a flipper for a reason. :rolleyes:

I can flick open my Native 5 and my Pacific Salt, and of course my Military. But, I prefer to open them in a more controlled way. Having the knife slam open all the time probably doesn't do the locking mechanism any good.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well... back in spring I had some injury to my right side. I'm lefty but I've used a knife with my right hand for decades. I've been trying to reteach myself to be lefty with a knife.. and I gravitated towards Spydercos because they are so easy to open using those holes. I guess I regarded fiddling with it like physical therapy. Maybe I did it too much lol. But I'll be damned never thought it was bad for the lock... or would hurt my finger.
See the notch worn in fingernail. It hurts!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well then. I bet that does hurt! You could break the edge on the hole a little, maybe it would wear on you less. I flick my p3s and pm2s, but my Delicas get spydie dropped, except the salt 2 which is so light I’m afraid I’m going to launch the knife. DF2 is strictly slow thumb open.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:20 am
So I've been using my middle finger ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

never had that happen, but I usually stick with a regular thumb opening.
:unicorn
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Compression locks (and maybe cbbl’s) are the easiest to middle finger flick; I’ve never been able to do it on a back lock like a Delica or endura. However, I did see a vid on YouTube where a guy managed to flick every spyderco he owns, it was several types of lock.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Spyderco delica and enduras can at times have a really sharp edge around the spydie hole, my vtoku will eat through my finger nail if I flipped it alot
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
vgex

Post by vgex »

I usually prefer the "thumb flick" the spyderhole as it is more translatable to more knife platforms, particularly thumb studs.
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Lately I noticed the Delica and Endura holes are sharp. That may be part the problem. I Take a round file to them. Makes my fingers happy.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Do this 3 or 4 times a day and you will be ok.

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Has this ever happened to you? How to prevent it?
Seriously? Come on! :)

The hole you have will grow back and even toughen up if you continue. Being as that isn't a natural movement I'd expect ligament issues and even arthritis in the joints if you do it enough.

Thumb opening is more natural and for me as fast but I wouldn't even do that obsessively. Regular daily use is enough to develop muscle memory over time to where it becomes faster and more effortless. I can open my Spydercos faster than my autos without trying from just carrying them daily for a long time. I have arthritis in my hands too. Stick with more natural movements in the long run.

Joe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Crux wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 pm
... you will be ok.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ouch, I’ve done that... stupid curbs...
pagant

Post by pagant »

I am in my seventies and have what my old dad used to call "The rhumaticks" , my Spydie thumb got them long before the rest of me and so i took up with some old Case knives i still had. Recently i found a ZDP Manbug that i still had tucked away and what do you know it seems that if i dont go mad with it i can still flick open a Spydie, so far i have bought a Dragonfly 2 FRN VG-10 , Alcyone and inbound a Chaparral FRN.
So it seems like the thumb injury has moved to my brain and as long as it dont hurt i care not, although my brain may be affected because after watching a chap on Youtube strip and clean his Alcyone i thought i would have a go with mine, but i seem to have cocked it up for after re assembling it now has some up and down blade play, hopefully the Chaparral will take my mind off it.