Most underrated Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Re: Most underrated Spydercos?

Post by demoncase »

Salsa-
Deep but short blade in FFG- check
Cobra hood for added thumb ramp- check
Ergonomic handle and choil- check
Funky anodised alloy handle in range of colours to suit all tastes- check
Compression lock- check.
Light, slim and wire clip- check

I think re-released Salsa in S30v would clean up.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are two classic Spyderco models that I dearly adore that I feel are terribly underrated and completely un-appreciated>> those are the Dodo and Harpy models. What those two specialty blades are capable of for their size is nothing short of phenomenal.

In the fixed blade category one of the most awesome and versatile designs ever but was almost completely ignored is the original TEMPERANCE 1 model. To me it's about the best overall fixed blade Spyderco ever made and it's even getting tough to find anyone who is a fan of that model :confused:

And all of those models I mentioned are great in plain edge and Spyderedge both.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 am
Foundry
Nailed it!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would like to add the ATS-55 era Stainless RESCUE to that list of Under-Appreciated Spyders :cool: It is the Sherman Tank of folders. I do believe you could drop it out of an airplane and it would still be functional ;)

As far as the Spyder with the best overall ergonomics I'm staying with the C-60 Ayoob model >> in SE or PE>> they both are totally awesome in performance.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

timlara wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:10 pm
Also the UKPK. If I were a reasonable person, I could get by just fine with that as my only knife. Even though I have several fancier Spydies to choose from, it's the one I always grab first if I'm in a hurry.
Couldn't agree more on the UKPK. It's so slim & light that you forget it's there. Awesome value for the $$$.

I'd throw the Sliverax into the ring as well. Smooth flipper + compression lock + small footprint for its blade size = one happy owner here.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The Aqua Salt.
It's a fine fixed blade.
Stromboli

Post by Stromboli »

Endura. It's the one that makes me question whether I really need to buy all these others.

Otherwise, I need to try a Stretch 2.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Qcrazy wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 am
I tend to like smaller knives, so here's my list:

Meerkat
Lava
Balance
I was going to say Meerkat.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:55 pm
This is easy.

Manix XL... lighter, bigger, better than your Shaman (lol, please don't flame me)

Runner up- Stretch... Despite my name, the normal one is just perfect so need for a Pocket Sword version Spyderco :)
+10 to this I would add the Gayle Bradley(s); thinking outside of this forum...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:29 am
Qcrazy wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 am
I tend to like smaller knives, so here's my list:

Meerkat
Lava
Balance
I was going to say Meerkat.
The vote for the "MEERKAT" model is quite an interesting one to consider. Because it is one of the very few Spyders that was made in GOLDEN as well as Japan. And the GOLDEN made units are getting quite collectible and very difficult to find anymore.

There are about a half a dozen Spyderco models that I believe truly have had a "cult following" over the years and the MEERKAT is truly one of those top 6. Also my dearly beloved, hallowed C-60 Ayoob model also has an intense cult following that won't go away anytime soon IMO.

Even though I personally was never all that big on the MEERKAT I still would vote for it to be a SPRINT RUN candidate because of all my good Spyder Brothers and Spyder Sisters who I know do dearly love it. It is one of about 12 Spyderco models that I can truly say fits the definition of being "iconic". Yes it is a most under-rated model that I believe deserves another run.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

One of the underrated Spydies that comes to mind is the Chokwe. Compact, light, comfortable in the hand, easy on the pocket, ample blade, and a great slicer. These came and went pretty quickly, without much accolade.
garret

Post by garret »

think these three are much better than people say, Large cutting capacity in small size
cwp

Post by cwp »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:00 am
Even though I personally was never all that big on the MEERKAT I still would vote for it to be a SPRINT RUN candidate because of all my good Spyder Brothers and Spyder Sisters who I know do dearly love it. It is one of about 12 Spyderco models that I can truly say fits the definition of being "iconic". Yes it is a most under-rated model that I believe deserves another run.
Well, I have good newsfor you and other Meerkat fans ...
wheats

Post by wheats »

K390 Urban. So much focus on locking mechanisms, the slip joints often get overlooked. Same with the PITS.