D’fly lost pocket clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RocketJ

D’fly lost pocket clip

Post by RocketJ »

Somehow, the clip and barrel screw that holds it in place on my FRN Dragonfly have disappeared. You’d think I would have noticed it being loose for a time, but one day it just wasn’t there. If I contact Spyderco directly by phone, will they sell me the new clip and hardware? Not sure of the right way to go about it, but I’ll bet someone here does. Thanks very much in advance!

John
John
attila

Re: D’fly lost pocket clip

Post by attila »

Yes, they sell clips and would probably send a free barrel/screw too.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, they will accommodate you, but in my opinion the Dragonfly 2 FRN is better off without the clip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The DF is the only Spyderco I've had trouble with clip screws loosening. Lost 1, almost another. I loctite them.
Joey

Post by Joey »

My screw arrived stripped. I bought it “new” from someone who claimed he got it that way from another seller. I only paid $55 initially, and got $10 back, so I’m happy. However, I wouldn’t mind losing my clip since I can’t get it off as is :p I always wanted it off anyway. Clipping a knife that small isn’t important to me, but I could see it being an excellent back up, clipped IWB. Matter of fact I’ve never thought of that until now. I’ll have to try it.
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Thanks a bunch, folks. No problem for 2+ years, then it disappeared. I’ll get an order in tomorrow....while the clip is really unnecessary if the knife is carried in a deeper pocket, I like to clip mine in the little watch pocket thingy on jeans, etc. Just my preference. I’ll definitely do the Loctite when I get the new clip. Again, thank you kindly for the help and advice.
John
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like to clip mine in the watch pocket of my jeans during cooler months. A while back I borrowed the clip off my HAP40 DF to put on my Positron. Ever since then I've been dropping it in the pocket of my cargo shorts and I really like it without the clip. I'll try it in my watch pocket once the cooler weather sets in here.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Just got off the phone with a very helpful man at the Spyderco store.....new clip and hardware are on the way! Thanks to all who replied for your help.
John
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They sometimes ship screws with a little one time use tube of thread locker. I'd recommend using it. I love the wire clips and even the older barrel screw Salt style clips but their one major downside is there isn't any sort of redundancy, so if the one and only screw holding the clip on backs out you're kinda screwed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 am
....so if the one and only screw holding the clip on backs out you're kinda screwed.
Wouldn't that be...unscrewed? :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Along with the Loctite, I’ll pay more attention this time....like I should have the first time. I also really like the wire clips.
John
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have also had issues with the barrel screw coming loose on Dragonfly knives. If you don’t use thread locker and also check them periodically they may loosen and the clip may spring up on one side or come loose altogether. When I had a Dragonfly I would remove the clip, add a short fob and just carry it in a pocket.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation