I've decided, (bleep) it, I'm, gonna carry my "nice" knife, replacement be damned...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

I've decided, (bleep) it, I'm, gonna carry my "nice" knife, replacement be damned...

Post by lonerider1013 »

So ever since I got the para3 I have been babying it. My logic was I can't afford to replace it, so I'd wait to make it a regular user in the sense of my delica or ambitious until I can get a second as a spare.
The problem is, the knife has grown on me. I really like it, how it handles, how it works, the smoothness of the action, the feel in the hand, the shape of the blade, etc.
So I decided, f it. (excuse my french ladies and gentlemen). I'm gonna carry it regular if I want, even though it'll be a few weeks before I've saved up for the backup. It might be like doing a grocery run in a ferrari, or using a hi end road bike to commute, but the truth is its just a knife and its a nice one and I wanna carry it, even though I haven't got a spare lined up yet.
Is this sacrelidge? Is this weird?
Am I the only one who has gone thru this? Or is this normal -- for knife folk?
(edit...f bomb removed from title)
Lonerider
Last edited by lonerider1013 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
blues

Re: I've decided, f*ck it, I'm, gonna carry my "nice" knife, replacement be damned...

Post by blues »

Here's a clue...

- Retired from the chase -
Daveho

Re: I've decided, f*ck it, I'm, gonna carry my "nice" knife, replacement be damned...

Post by Daveho »

Unless “use it” is a code for throw it in a volcano I think it will be fine.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You do realize this is supposed to be a family friendly forum right? Might want to edit the F-bomb out of the title.

Glad you like the Para 3!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Best decision you ever made. Enjoy it by having it with you and using it. Whats the point of having it sit in it's box. It's like buying a car and not driving it. A knife is a tool that should be used in my opinion. I am not going to keep my knives nice for others when i am gone. I buy knife to keep and use, so no worries to keep the trade value up. And a good knife will last you a long if not a life time. I don't think you should buy backups. It sucks if you break or lose it but you can always buy something new.
Everyone goes through it i guess. Same with having a new watch or some other item and getting the first scratches on them.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If you own knives to collect them, then put 'em in a case and take them out occasionally to fondle or post pics to a forum, if OTOH you like knives for their utility, use them! That's why they exist and IMO "safe queens" are a terrible waste.

Spyderco knives are built for real world conditions, as long as you aren't abusing them you can have a clear conscience! Plus use marks give a knife character...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm
You do realize this is supposed to be a family friendly forum right? Might want to edit the F-bomb out of the title.

Exactly.
- best wishes, Jazz.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm
Sorry! edited.
Lonerider
The Meat man

Re: I've decided, (bleep) it, I'm, gonna carry my "nice" knife, replacement be damned...

Post by The Meat man »

You are most certainly not alone. :)

I've enjoyed carrying my Spyderco Advocate (a VERY pricey knife for me) and using it hard at my job. It may be - nay, it is - a fine piece of art, but it is also a tough, sturdy knife fully capable of taking anything I throw at it.
For me, if I'm not going to use a knife, I may as well not buy it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PayneTrain

Re: I've decided, (bleep) it, I'm, gonna carry my "nice" knife, replacement be damned...

Post by PayneTrain »

To use thy knife is to love thy knife. Just keep it clean and keep it sharp!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lonerider,

We build them all to use. That's why we put in good materials and close tolerances. Th real "spriit" of the knife is not truly appreciated unless used. The ergos, edges, grinds, heat treats, etc are all created for the cut. If you use it, you'll appreciate them more.

sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks, Sal.
Uh...if u are the Sal... For what it's worth, I never got to say thanks to the guy who built my bike, or my car, or anything else, so while you're here: Thanks for producing such kicking gear, and for listening to us customers. Rock on, and many thanks.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

as for the bike reference, I'm a low level fitness rider and ride a $3500 bike, I certainly don't *need* a bike like that, but it's nicer to ride a light, stiff, well sorted design like my Cannondale Slate than a $750 "basic". I keep it well maintained and my rides are more enjoyable, but I'll ride it on rough roads, in the rain or on dirt, that's what it was made for. I'm sure your cutting tasks will benefit the same way!

It's all in what you value, as to what you'll spend a bit extra on to get better performance.
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lonerider,

Thanx for buying them. My staff and I appreciate the support.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:12 pm
So ever since I got the para3 I have been babying it. My logic was I can't afford to replace it, so I'd wait to make it a regular user in the sense of my delica or ambitious until I can get a second as a spare.
The problem is, the knife has grown on me. I really like it, how it handles, how it works, the smoothness of the action, the feel in the hand, the shape of the blade, etc.
So I decided, f it. (excuse my french ladies and gentlemen). I'm gonna carry it regular if I want, even though it'll be a few weeks before I've saved up for the backup. It might be like doing a grocery run in a ferrari, or using a hi end road bike to commute, but the truth is its just a knife and its a nice one and I wanna carry it, even though I haven't got a spare lined up yet.
(edit...f bomb removed from title)
Lonerider
I don't know why you'd buy a tool you wouldn't use to begin with. You think a carpenter would buy a pretty hammer just to ogle?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vivi

Post by vivi »

lonerider1013 wrote:
It might be like doing a grocery run in a ferrari, or using a hi end road bike to commute.....

I laughed when I read this. I ride to work on an Emonda SL6. Though I think my commute distance justifies it.

Anyways, use the Para. Sitting on a knife, not using it, that's the equivelant of buying a movie and keeping it in the package, looking at the cover over and over admiring it. You're only experiencing a small fraction of what it offers. How it handles while cutting, how the grip remains secure working in the rain, how the steel sharpens, how well the blade shape works for you etc.

I'm a back-up kind of guy too, but there's only been one time in the last decade I've had to rely on one. You'll be fine.
:unicorn
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Good on ya! I've had the same debate but I've found that I actually take way more joy in the "use" of something than the "having" of something. I've started selling knives I don't use now to buy new ones to experience them and hopefully find ones I like using even more. No backups. I will admit I'd be crushed if I lost some of the ones I can't really replace though.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

lonerider1013 wrote:

So I decided, ... I'm gonna carry it regular if I want, even though it'll be a few weeks before I've saved up for the backup. It might be like doing a grocery run in a ferrari, or using a hi end road bike to commute, but the truth is its just a knife and its a nice one and I wanna carry it, even though I haven't got a spare lined up yet.
Am I the only one who has gone thru this? Or is this normal -- for knife folk? ...
I don't think you're alone. I started carrying and using knives in that price range as a teenager working on the fishing side of a mom and pop hunting and fishing store in the south. Things were good for a 16 year old kid who still lived at home, had a no cost to me hand-me-down used car from my parents, and had the part time job money plus an employee discount. My break over point where I was having your dilemma was a carbon fiber front scale / titanium back side frame lock with a CTS-204P blade from another maker that was over $200. That was more recently and $200+ was (at that time) more than I could readily spend to replace a knife. But I decided to carry that knife and use it because I knew the materials were durable. Several years later later, that knife is still in great shape. There's some wear on the black finish on some of the hardware, and there's plenty of evidence of it being sharpened while I experimented to find an angle and finish it liked. But the body of the blade has little evidence of use, the carbon fiber scale shows very little wear, and the titanium back side shows very little wear.

The G10 scales and S30V blade on your Para 3 are likewise very durable, and very abrasion resistant. The compression lock in it is also strong and durable. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at well your Para 3 sheds off wear.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Oddly enough, the only knives I really buy backups for are the great lower cost knives that I use and use and use. I have probably 6 delicas, albeit they are all different. Same with pm2's--I have three different(okay so this isn't a lower cost model). I have two copies of my gec bullmoose in green jugged bone. Probably a few others. About to get a backup for my serrated jazz delica as it has been in my pocket everyday for the past 4 or 5 months and I have grown to love it.

What I'm saying is, It's the ones you use that become the ones you love and thus become the ones you want to make sure you can replace. You'll find so much more value from your para 3 if you use it. Sure, the g10 grippy-ness will smooth out a bit, you will likely put scratch marks on the steel from sharpening, and you may round the tip a bit. But it will be your knife. And that is a great feeling. Also, for any consolation, the para3 isn't going anywhere. Will be replaceable for years to come, I'm sure.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Good decision !!

Ultimately, that is my philosophy of life. Life is short. My knives will outlast me, especially quality knives like Spydercos. So I do use them and think that is the best way to enjoy them. I do my best to take care of them, and not lose them, but there is always some risk of that, so get on with the show! You can keep your knives tucked away at home and get broken into and have them ripped off. Why collect them like comic books you keep in a plastic wrapper and never read. What nonsense.

Makes me think of a guy I invited to go climbing with me. He said no, he had a big trip planned and didn't want to risk getting hurt. Then he slipped in his bathtub and broke his leg. I came home from climbing in fine shape. Draw your own conclusions.