Fist in the Eye

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Fist in the Eye

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:56 pm
We've not had a chipping problem with S30V. It's been a very reliable steel for us.

sal
I keep reading comments about how chippy S30V is. I have several of your knives with it and I've yet to see any chipping. I'll admit that some if these knives don't see use any harder tha breaking down carboard. I do have a PM2 and Para 3 with S30V that I use at work and they sometimes get a pretty good workout. I keep waiting to experience this chippiness that all these people speak of. Still waiting....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Yeah I feel like "s30v is chippy" belongs up there with the "Maxamet is impossible to sharpen" lore. lol.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

sal wrote:
We've not had a chipping problem with S30V. It's been a very reliable steel for us.

sal
Sal I have the Lil'Temp 3 and so far the S30V has been fine. Granted it's a standard edge and not a Scandi-grind though. My bad experience with S30V was from another company, and early in that steel's introduction. Sort of just made me gunshy with it.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Most of my experience with S30V has been from spyderco. It's my least favorite steel from them. I don't have a charpy or impact tester. All i have is what I've personally seen. S30V isn't that good relatively speaking. I thought spyderco did the mule team project exactly because lab results and the results of real world testing may vary. S30V is literally one of the worst steels I've used. Does it crumble at the slightest hint of misuse? No. The question is does it hold up as well compared to S110V or Cruwear or N690 or any number of other steels readily available. The answer is no, in my experience. It does nothing that well. Even corrosion resistance is mediocre.

But i get why it's so readily used and i get why it's so readily available from spyderco. Doesn't mean a number of other, better performing, steels can't be had for competitive prices. Time to move on, even of that means we see 204P in most knives. I don't think many people would complain.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:

sal
I've had the same experience with all of my Spyderco S30V, even taking the edge down on a Manix XL pretty thin and subjecting it to rough use. I've made other stainless steels chip but not S30V.

But, I have not used it in a fixed blade, and I do subject those to tougher jobs than folders.

204P does seem like a good upgrade to S30V but I don't think it would be economical to use the same way. Standard Spydercos with black G10 and 204P, like a Para 2 or Millie, would likely sell over $200 based on sprint prices.

Compared to S30V, 204P holds an edge longer and IMO isn't any more difficult to sharpen. I was pleasantly surprised by this steel as someone that typically doesn't chase after super long edge holding. I enjoyed sharpening it more than I figured I would.
:unicorn
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:24 pm
sal wrote:

sal
I've had the same experience with all of my Spyderco S30V, even taking the edge down on a Manix XL pretty thin and subjecting it to rough use. I've made other stainless steels chip but not S30V.

But, I have not used it in a fixed blade, and I do subject those to tougher jobs than folders.

204P does seem like a good upgrade to S30V but I don't think it would be economical to use the same way. Standard Spydercos with black G10 and 204P, like a Para 2 or Millie, would likely sell over $200 based on sprint prices.

Compared to S30V, 204P holds an edge longer and IMO isn't any more difficult to sharpen. I was pleasantly surprised by this steel as someone that typically doesn't chase after super long edge holding. I enjoyed sharpening it more than I figured I would.
They're more expensive only because they're sprint runs. 204P is not much more than S30V, especially if ordering in the bulk spyderco does. I'd be happy to proven wrong by spyderco, but i don't believe that'll happen. 204P, in the final manufacturing price, may result in maybe $20 more per knife, if that. And that's a very, very generous assumption.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vivi

Post by vivi »

All of the production 204P models have been pricier models for Spyderco. If it could be phased in as a replacement with minimal cost increase I'd be all for it, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 pm
Most of my experience with S30V has been from spyderco. It's my least favorite steel from them. I don't have a charpy or impact tester. All i have is what I've personally seen. S30V isn't that good relatively speaking. I thought spyderco did the mule team project exactly because lab results and the results of real world testing may vary. S30V is literally one of the worst steels I've used. Does it crumble at the slightest hint of misuse? No. The question is does it hold up as well compared to S110V or Cruwear or N690 or any number of other steels readily available. The answer is no, in my experience. It does nothing that well. Even corrosion resistance is mediocre.

But i get why it's so readily used and i get why it's so readily available from spyderco. Doesn't mean a number of other, better performing, steels can't be had for competitive prices. Time to move on, even of that means we see 204P in most knives. I don't think many people would complain.
Mediocre corrosion resistance? Doing what? I live in a humid area and I haven't seen even a speck of corrosion on any of my S30V blades.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Not a puukko, I know. But this is my wolfspyder that is a true zero grind scandi in s30v. I haven’t sharpened this since I removed the microbevel when I first got it. It sees light to medium use 1 to 3 days a week. No chips, no microchips, only a bent tip.

This knife performs so well in s30v, that I totally understand why sal and co picked it. Plenty tough enough and offers great corrosion resistance.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sure looks like there is a microbevel there.

S30V works fine at very thin edge angles for light and medium duty. But would it be ok whittling seasoned hardwood and splitting apart small sections of wood for kindling? That I have no experience with when it comes to S30V.
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 pm

I can say the same things. All my S30V experience came from Spyderco, and it's not so good; i have had all my S30V Spyders at 20 dps and practically i could only cut cardboard and nothing else. The only S30V knife that i haven't sold is the Vallotton because i love the appearance and f&f.

I'm not talking about S30V that is chippy. In my opinion it's just crap, for you it can be a good steel, everyone can have opinions.
In some models it can be the best steel choice, but hey,
we're talking about a S30V zero ground woodworking/outdoors type blade, that is a gimmick, if not a joke.

Read the title. It doesn't say "S30V is bad", and in fact the Puukko was just an example. I talk about evident wrong steels in some designs that have an enormous potential but that exploit it very little.
supracor

Post by supracor »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Hi Supracor,

We opted for a stainless to bring the design into a broader realm. It was our first Puuko and out first collaboration with the maker. We also made the knife quite a while ago before we were using as many steels as we are now. Hard to please everyone.

sal
Thanks for the clarification :)
Can i suggest for some designs some low-carbide stainless or carbon steels?
Of course i know that the market wants PM stainless superultrahyperhigh-carbide steels, but not all the designs can be made out of them.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm
Sure looks like there is a microbevel there.

S30V works fine at very thin edge angles for light and medium duty. But would it be ok whittling seasoned hardwood and splitting apart small sections of wood for kindling? That I have no experience with when it comes to S30V.
Geometry might play a role as well. I'm able to do hard use things with the tip of my S30V Shaman that I'd never try with my M4 PM2.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I don't think there's anything wrong with S30V and I've never had any of mine chip. The fact that I find VG10 already an overkill makes this steel more than ample for my uses. What I don't like about S30V is how quick it loses its push-cutting sharpness compared to VG10 and I don't care much about the "working edge" at all. Anyways, I prefer XHP over both if given the choice. I just love the toughness and the way it sharpens if I am to look at blades in the same price range.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:24 pm
The DLT Trading PM2 in 20CV that drops today will be only a few bucks more than a base model in S30V....

Though the profit margin on them will be lower and i don't think there is enough supply of M390/204P/20CV to take over on all models yet. But price shouldn't be an huge issue.