I'd like a FRN Grasshopper in a better steel..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I'd like a FRN Grasshopper in a better steel..

Post by Evil D »

Pretty simple, make the Grasshopper in a Dragonfly style handle and offer it in different steels. I think if it were lighter it would be awesome as a keychain knife. It has a few details I prefer over the Ladybug (edge length and a bit longer in the grip without being significantly bigger and slimmer when closed/less bulky on keys). I probably could live with the current steel but I'd still like a lightweight version, but better steel would really be nice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Re: I'd like a FRN Grasshopper in a better steel..

Post by sal »

Hi Evil,

That's a tough request. The maker doesn't like to work with "better" steels. It's a budget model. We could make it with a different maker and a better steel. It would require a redesign and new tooling. Then it would not longer be a budget knife and most would complain about the "other than Chinese made price".
Evil D

Re: I'd like a FRN Grasshopper in a better steel..

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Hi Evil,

That's a tough request. The maker doesn't like to work with "better" steels. It's a budget model. We could make it with a different maker and a better steel. It would require a redesign and new tooling. Then it would not longer be a budget knife and most would complain about the "other than Chinese made price".

Yeah that all comes with the territory I guess. Personally I wouldn't mind the increased cost but I think you'd end up with the inevitable association with a "cheap knife" and it may hurt sales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David