Spyderco Caspian Salt: Bring Back A Sprint Run Please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Caspian Salt: Bring Back A Sprint Run Please!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Come on folks, let's hear it, let's see it: We want a Spyderco Caspian Salt Spring Run! Yes?
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco Caspian Salt: Bring Back A Sprint Run Please!

Post by JD Spydo »

You know SEF we should check out our family trees because the more I get to know you I'm starting to believe that we must be related to each other :cool: . I've said on 3 different threads in the past that the old CASPIAN SALT fixed blade should be a top priority candidate for a fixed blade Sprint Run>> or maybe just bring it back to the H-1 Salt Series all together in another blade steel like LC200N for instance in full SE or CE.

Even though the CASPIAN SALT is designated to be a "diver's knife" I still maintain that blade could be used for a myriad of different cutting jobs. Me and the honorable Dr. Hannibal Lecter MD both talked about that at length even when that model was still in the main line up. Also there should be at least 2 or maybe even 3 variants of that blade just like they've done with the Jumpmaster for instance.

Heck I could even go with a full Spyderedged version in LC200N or maybe even one of the other new nitrogen based blade steels. I don't know of any other fixed blades I would want to see more other than the original TEMPERANCE 1 model for re-introduction or at least a Sprint Run.
attila

Post by attila »

Yes, please!!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

A great idea Im in for two thanks
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some of these 10 year plus Spyderco fixed blades are so forgotten at this point I'm doubtful if even 10% of the people here on this Forum are even aware of the CASPIAN SALT ever being in the line up. I run into the same problem with the original TEMPERANCE 1 model that was also popular when the CASPIAN SALT was still in the line up. Only about 1 out of 7 people I talk to are even aware of either one of those great old fixed blade models.

As with all the models in the Salt Series there isn't one of them that would not be great for every day usage. Another aspect of the CASPIAN SALT model that occured with many models during that time period was that it really didn't get a lot of attention until it got discontinued. Another fixed blade that shared that distinction was the VAGABOND model which was also released in that time period ( 2004-2006).

It would be great to see the CASPIAN SALT in a SPRINT RUN.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

My daughter and her boyfriend are both Marine Biologists. I gave them both Caspian Salts for diving. They both reported that it is the best dive knife they have ever used. The dive often in Monterey Bay and along the North coast of California.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I lucked out a couple of years ago when someone on a kayak fishing site I belong to posted about a few of the Caspian Salts for sale ebay relatively cheap, all brand new. At that point, I had been a long time Spyderco fan, but really didn't follow anything in the knife world. Heck I didn't even know Spyderco put out a catalog until 2017, but I owned probably 6 or 7. Anyway, the guy on the forum talked it up so much I impulse bought one. It's awesome and I'm glad I was able to get one. I'd definitely be in for one or two for a sprint run.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

In for DLC with GITD Day Glow Flourescent Yellow G10 :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm
A nuclear YELLOW G-10 handle just makes perfect sense for a model designed for marine use like the CASPIAN SaLT. If the knife gets dropped ( GOD Forbid!) they are much easier to find in those nuclear, florescent colors. I guess I'm one of the few who do like the Spyderco knives intended for hard use ( users) who like the Nuclear Colored handles. But there are times where common sense outweighs overall aesthetics IMO.

And when you think about it over it has been a while since Spyderco has had a really premium dive knife. Yes a Sprint Run just makes sense.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:13 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm
A nuclear YELLOW G-10 handle just makes perfect sense for a model designed for marine use like the CASPIAN SaLT. If the knife gets dropped ( GOD Forbid!) they are much easier to find in those nuclear, florescent colors. I guess I'm one of the few who do like the Spyderco knives intended for hard use ( users) who like the Nuclear Colored handles. But there are times where common sense outweighs overall aesthetics IMO.

And when you think about it over it has been a while since Spyderco has had a really premium dive knife. Yes a Sprint Run just makes sense.

I'm with you JD. I love the nuclear/neon/flourescent colors on my salt knives. its nice to have the blacked out option as well. I just buy both most of the time. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I don't really look at those nuclear colored handles as a handsome blade handle per se but I do think that they do well as a hard use knife and are much easier to find if misplaced or GOD Forbid!! fall in the water of a lake, pond, river, steam ect. I can assure you a color that might glow under a black-light will be much easier to find.

And for hard use knives like those in the Salt Series the nuclear colors seem to kind of grow on you after a while. I actually enjoy playing with my nuclear green USN Catcherman Sprint Run folder. It makes me want a full Spyderedged Catcherman in one of these new steels so bad that I'm just outright confused as to why they don't do at least a Sprint Run of a full SE Catcherman.

If they bring back the Caspian SALT I also wish they would offer that old model in full SE and not just CE alone. Actually if I were a diver I would find Serrations/Spyderedges to be extremely handy for underwater uses. But nuclear handles on both models please??!!
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

This is a great idea.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Come on folks!!! Get on board!! This is a great chance to get a super Sprint Run of one of the very best fixed blades that ever came forth from Spyderco. In less than a year after it was discontinued you couldn't get one anywhere. I've only ever seen maybe two of them on auction or for sale anywhere in the past 10 to 12 years.

It's not just a dive knife>> no it's a lot more than that. And to think that now we've got LC200N which would make this model so much better.

I've always thought that the Caspian Salt would also make a great outdoor type fixed blade as well.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It's a great dive knife. It is a pretty mediocre knife for anything else. The straps on the sheath suck (sorry Sal, but they don't work) and need to be replaced with rubber straps before use. Not that many people dive, most of those aren't knife people so sales probably weren't good. Afaik Spyderco rarely disco a knife that sells well...

I even have a NIB spare so I'm good ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NoFair wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:25 pm
It's a great dive knife. It is a pretty mediocre knife for anything else. The straps on the sheath suck (sorry Sal, but they don't work) and need to be replaced with rubber straps before use.
Hey I'm not at all opposed to modifying and improving something that needs to be on a Sprint Run. I would even like to see them use LC200N this go-around instead of H-1. A lot of people have complained to me about the sheath on the original TEMPERANCE 1 model but I've learned to use it efficiently. Sure I would always like something better even on the TEMP 1. I would love a super deluxe version of the C-60 Ayoob too. Hey I'm never opposed to making a good thing even better.

As far as people who dive or work in marine conditions I beg to differ with you>> because that market is bigger than you might want to believe. Now I will admit that any Specialty type knife is going to have a limited market>> but what the heck there are really very few Spyderco blades that don't fall into some "Specialty" category. But how many people really do you know and that I know that probably think we're totally whacko for buying pocketknives that are $200+ in many cases>> trust me Brother I hear it almost on a daily basis :rolleyes: But you and I are quality minded and so would be the people who would like a shot at the Caspian Salt. Glad you're well stocked Brother :) I have 5 TEMP 1 models and I wish I had at least 3 more of the Spyderedged versions. But what the heck do I know :rolleyes: :D