First time customizing g10 (except some light work on rounding my para3: I textured the Ambitious scales. But why is...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

First time customizing g10 (except some light work on rounding my para3: I textured the Ambitious scales. But why is...

Post by lonerider1013 »

Just tried customizing a handle, started with the ambitious as it was inexpensive. Trying to give the g120 a textured look.
Strangely where I sanded it it was lighter in color. I was aiming for grooves, not stripes lol. Anyone know why it's a lighter color?
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
jabba359

Re: First time customizing g10 (except some light work on rounding my para3: I textured the Ambitious scales. But why i

Post by jabba359 »

G-10 tends to get dry, especially when you sand it. Just get a little bit of mineral oil on those grooves and they should go back to black. Also, finishing to a higher grit will help get rid of the chalky look.
Last edited by jabba359 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
lonerider1013

Re: First time customizing g10 (except some light work on rounding my para3: I textured the Ambitious scales. But why i

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks!
Joey

Post by Joey »

This looks really nice! I had a para 3 that was carried for a while until it was smooth G10 with a slight texture. I sold it, but I will have to try this next time I have a knife go “smooth” from use. Thanks for the post :)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Joey wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:03 pm
This looks really nice! I had a para 3 that was carried for a while until it was smooth G10 with a slight texture. I sold it, but I will have to try this next time I have a knife go “smooth” from use. Thanks for the post :)
No problem. It looks better now I put some mineral oil on the sanded parts.
One thing is, don't make it too thin near the edge I imagine that increases the risk of a crack in the scales.

Lonerider
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It also helps if you use a finer grit where you sand. Carbon fiber scales will do the same thing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks. It was a spur of the moment thing so i didn't realize I didn't have finer grit at hand lol. But I will try that soon too.