Is the Ladybug worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M4Life

Re: Is the Ladybug worth it?

Post by M4Life »

I own the ladybug and the manbug they are both great slicers, and the ZDP-189 version will hold an edge really well. My only "complaint" is that they are too small to spydie-flick open. I highly recommend either the manbug or the ladybug.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Donut

Post by Donut »

If you want to carry it in your watch pocket, it's pretty much perfect. I put a little lanyard on the end of it that will make it fill your hand an open a lot easier.

It has about the same blade length as the Dragonfly, a lanyard will make it feel like a dragonfly in hand and the only thing it doesn't have is a clip.

I think it's really good in H1 Serrated.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Nate

Post by Nate »

likethevegetable wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm
I was hoping for VG-10 for it's cost, ease of sharpening, and corrosion resistance.. I don't think I'm ready to try ZDP..
Gotcha, wasn't sure if you knew the other options were available.
:spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

If it’s just going to live in the change compartment in the car, how about a lightweight Squarehead? Personally I think Spyderco should offer these in all available colors of frn. I bet they’d sell pretty well.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the ladybug was my first pocketknife when i was a kid. i remember thinking it was ugly in the coolest way and i had to have it. i loved that knife. as an adult, i prefer the dragonfly. in my experience, it fits more hands better. i can even get four fingers on it. as such, it is a bulkier knife though. you can’t go wrong with either. both are great for small tasks and small hands.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am
I have a couple of Manbugs. I have been carrying my G10 Manbug for the last two days as my only knife. Very handy. The Ladybug will be just as handy. My wife actually prefers the Dragonfly (she has two). However, the Manbug/Ladybugs have the same cutting edge in a smaller knife.

I prefer the Dragonfly in every way except carrying on my keys, which is really my only purpose for a Ladybug and really the only reason I'd choose it over a Dragonfly. For me a Dfly is a bit too bulky for keys.
Yeah, I also prefer the DF, but I also really like the G10 Manbug.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Well, the purple ladybug showed up today...what a cute little knife! I can't get over it haha. I always thought my Chaparral was tiny, that thing looks like a Military compared to the ladybug. But, most importantly...my wife loves it! Thank you everyone for helping convince me to pull the trigger on this lil fella. I feel like I want one for myself now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:19 pm
Well, the purple ladybug showed up today...what a cute little knife! I can't get over it haha. I always thought my Chaparral was tiny, that thing looks like a Military compared to the ladybug. But, most importantly...my wife loves it! Thank you everyone for helping convince me to pull the trigger on this lil fella. I feel like I want one for myself now.

I'm pretty fond of the ZDP version, it's a heck of a steel for such a little knife and it's FFG so it slices really well considering how thin the blade is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VG10

Post by VG10 »

I'm a big guy, but I've been carrying a SE ladybug for nearly 5 years. Fits in the key pocket on jeans, not bulky in dress pants, doesn't scare people in public. Despite being small, it's hair popping sharp. I feel that because it's so small, it's easier to make a habit of bringing it with me every day, and when you really need a knife, the best one in the world is whichever one you have.

I think when people decide to drop the cash on a quality knife, they want a larger knife, and that's totally fine, but I want the highest quality in something I can always have on me.

Tl;dr I have strong opinions in favor of the Ladybug.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

She absolutely loves it so far. Lots of Amazon boxes have been showing up with at home, she loves whipping that ladybug out and using it to open them and cut off tags on clothes and what not. It's her knife and I have to ask her to check it out or use it haha. Tells me to get my own! Again, thank you all for helping me make this decision. She loves it and says she appreciates more than the Camillus knife she lost because I got it for her, and it's from the company I love and support.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick