Spyderhawk or Superhawk in a Titanium Handle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TitaniumTroy

Spyderhawk or Superhawk in a Titanium Handle?

Post by TitaniumTroy »

I really love both my Superhawk and Spyderhawk knives, I was wondering if Spyderco would ever consider making a version with a titanium handle? Titanium being my favorite handle material which is why I have both titanium versions of the Military knife.

Anyway it was just a thought, as I have been carrying more hawkbills, including Harpy Karambit, Matriarch, and Civilian lately.

Troy
VashHash

Re: Spyderhawk or Superhawk in a Titanium Handle?

Post by VashHash »

I'd vote spyderhawk. Been carrying one for about 9 years now i think. Semi retired my first one but the orange one took it's place. Make it in H1 and Ti scales. I'd buy at least 2. Of course with the screw construction of the newest spyderhawk it could be done after market.

I have a superhawk but it doesn't see as much pocket time. Don't really care for the choil. It's also pretty thick and shorter than the Spyderhawk.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The SUPERHAWK I truly believe would have still been in our main line up had it originally been offered in Spyderedge. With all that has been said and observed concerning Hawkbill performance especially in the past 5 years or so I think we've documented that the serrated Hawkbills are far more useful than plain edged Hawkbills are.

Just look at the Harpy model for instance. I would be willing to bet that at least 95% of all the Harpy models sold throughout the years have been Spyderedged. And for good reason>> because those curved blades ( especially Hawkbills and Reverse S) simply perform vastly better with serrated edges. Absolutely the Spyderhawk and Superhawk both should return to the main line up but in SE this time around. Because once people start to realize how much better Hawkbill blades perform in SE the Hawkbill blades will sell themselves and sales will no longer be a problem.

I doubt if I ever buy another plain edged Hawkbill unless it would be a really obscure collector's piece that I could get a deal on. Because I doubt I ever use a PE Hawkbill again. Yeah please!!! Bring back the SUPERHAWK and Spyderhawk both in SE this time!!!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Full Salt SuperHawk SE! Just put an SE Hawkbill blade on the Caribbean frame, it could be done in no time.

Why would you even put that thought in my head JD?
Shame on you! :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Spyderhawk yes, Ti no. I have a plain edge one in yellow and a serrated one in orange. For the types of things where I use the Spyderhawk, unlined FRN suits me just fine. G10 (unlined, please) would also be okay. I have nothing against titanium, own a Slysz bowie and several custom Ti framelocks, but it adds both cost and weight I don't need, while offering a less secure grip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:24 pm
Full Salt SuperHawk SE! Just put an SE Hawkbill blade on the Caribbean frame, it could be done in no time.

Why would you even put that thought in my head JD?
Shame on you! :p
Well when me and the Good Dr. Hannibal Lecter MD both became Spyderville's Hawkbill Ambassadors we both knew there would be a price :rolleyes:

But as mis-understood as the Hawkbill blades are we are still seeing more and more people actually giving them a try and thus more of them are disappearing from the shelves as we speak :D Actually it's a thought that should be in a lot of knife users heads ;)

I've been saying for at least 3 years now that it's high time we get another G-10 handled Hawkbill. Put that in your head and meditate on it :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I do like Titanium handled lockbacks. They are fairly rare though so I'd look favorably at most any Spyderco release that is affordable.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 pm
I do like Titanium handled lockbacks. They are fairly rare though so I'd look favorably at most any Spyderco release that is affordable.

Joe
You know the more I think about it I would love to see a model like the SUPERHAWK or Spyderhawk with a Titanium handle similar to the one that they used on the Ti ATR model.

Yeah a heavy duty Ti handle with an LC200N SE blade would truly be a deluxe package.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

As much as I like my Spyderhawk im not sure the world is ready for a Ti sprint. The orange FRN sprint doesnt seem to be close to sold out anywhere, which was actual pretty surprising to me given how great of a knife it is it, plus H1 salt status, plus relatively cheap. If people aren't willing to pay $100 for the standard sprint, how many are going to pay a premium for titanium? I look at the Spyderhawk as a utilitarian tool for yardwork and such, and the standard FRN handle is perfect for that. My wish would be for an orange FRN H1 SE catcherman Salt to match my Spyderhawk sprint. I would love to see an orange FRN FFG LC200N PE Catcherman as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Affordable is the question these days. Machining Titan takes equipment, labor and the cost of the Ti itself. You're over $100 just thinking it. Now add an exotic steel, after all, it's Ti.

I'm with JD on the SuperHawk. Very effective design, but cost was high and Hawkbill's are not the most popular blade shape.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm
Affordable is the question these days. Machining Titan takes equipment, labor and the cost of the Ti itself. You're over $100 just thinking it. Now add an exotic steel, after all, it's Ti.

I'm with JD on the SuperHawk. Very effective design, but cost was high and Hawkbill's are not the most popular blade shape.

sal
Would either the SUPERHAWK or SPYDERHAWK with a G-10 handle be out of the question? Because I believe that if you were to market the Spyderhawk for lawn & garden uses a G-10 handle would be more desirable IMO. As much as I liked both models I still say that at least a G-10 Sprint would be interesting to see how end line users would like it?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Looks like they're both made in Japan. We got to see how unaffordable Japanese G-10 was in the St. Nick's delica. It would be very much more expensive I'd guess.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam