Amazing H1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Amazing H1

Post by VashHash »

So I've spoken about bending a tip on an H1 knife and bending it back. Back then I didn't take pictures of stuff like this. When I pulled this out of my pocket I knew that I had to share it.

I didn't think this was possible. I figured it would have snapped already. I must have hit it against something when I was using it yesterday.

The story didn't end there. I decided i would try and straighten it. So I rubbed it against the edge of a steel plate to bring it back around or snap it off. Then I put it in a vise to straighten it a little more.

Sharpened it after and it cuts like before. H1 just keeps amazing me.
Joey

Re: Amazing H1

Post by Joey »

That’s impressive! The steel is completely pointing in the other direction, and even in a delicate area. I was polishing my H1 the other day, and couldn’t believe how easily a burr was created. It is just so soft and easy to work with. I agree, amazing and very special!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

H-1 is certainly a unique steel. That is impressive.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wow, Never seen anything quite like that. I only have 1 knife in H1...it's one of my favorites (Salt 2 SE) Though this steel scratches very easily and dulls quickly, it's so easy to get back to super sharp!

This thread and the one with the guy finding his Dragonfly H1 in a creek after a year and not a spec of rust on it...amazing.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Amazing. This "steel" is growing on me!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love it in both PE and SE.
sal

Post by sal »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:43 pm
Wow, Never seen anything quite like that. I only have 1 knife in H1...it's one of my favorites (Salt 2 SE) Though this steel scratches very easily and dulls quickly, it's so easy to get back to super sharp!

This thread and the one with the guy finding his Dragonfly H1 in a creek after a year and not a spec of rust on it...amazing.
Hi Tkok,

Surprised to hear that your serrated edge Salt dulls quickly. What are you cutting?

sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

H1 is a great steel, I edc a Salt 2 SE and I can't find a reason to change it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:48 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Tkok,

Surprised to hear that your serrated edge Salt dulls quickly. What are you cutting?

sal
Hi Sal,

Usually camping and gardening I'm cutting through branches, vines, small roots. Of course dirt and sand don't help matters. I have no problem with it though! I don't mind sharpening or touching up on the Sharpmaker afterwards. I find the sound of sharping relaxing and soothing!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is why I prefer H1 for my serrations, it seems less likely to break a tooth off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It doesn't rust, it gets wicked sharp with ease, mirror polishes, it's tough, the best of the SE steels, did I mention it doesn't rust? :D There's a reason I have more H1 in my collection than any other steel. Oh, and it's affordable.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Stuff like this is why I remind folks H1 isn't just rust proof, it also outclasses every stainless I've tried when it comes to toughness.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

And given what we know about work hardening, you probably just increased the edge retention of the tip.

H-1 is the only steel out there that not only can take this sort of abuse, but it actually improves with it! :p
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My Tasman HB PE is pretty impressive. I use it to cut boney gills out of fish without any finesse just brute force without any ill effect and surprisingly it holds an edge way better than expected.

I can certainly see why it has such a strong following. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I love H1 in both PE and SE. It makes up probably a third of my entire Spydie collection. Pac Salts, Salt 1s, Dfly Salts, and a Spyderhawk. I still want to grab some Salt 2s and fixed blade H1 knives as well. It truly is amazing stuff. I'm excited for the Native Salts so I can compare LC200N to H1, but I really hope H1 doesn't go away anytime soon. One of my dream blades would be a full salt version of the G10 Military with H1 blades. Both SE and PE versions. Blacked out. I know those would be hugely popular as would PM2 and Para 3s in H1 Salt form. The demand for these alone is probably worth considering a factory expansion or a new factory in Golden.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

oh, yes, the marvels of H1 :cool:

My fragile Tasman tips have benefited from that toughness more than once...straighten the tip and nobody will notice it was once bent :p
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I too have noticed the rather high plastic deformation on my H1 knives. It's so nice to be able to fix a tip rather than have it break off.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!