Just a General Thank You

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Just a General Thank You

Post by Eli Chaps »

This not just to Sal and the entire Spyderco enterprise, but to the community as well.

Today, I just took a few minutes to reflect and appreciate the whole "Spyderco thing".

Yesterday or so, I read something about a knife too short for cutting apples. I had my Chap LW and an apple. As I cut my apple, I thought on that comment and all the big vs. little knife comments I've encountered over the years. Yeah, the Chap was short but no big deal I thought. But today, I decided to put one of my M2LW's into my pocket. And again I had an apple. And, the M2LW was a bit short as well. Well now, I thought, I don't really want to carry anything bigger than the M2LW so, for me, the apple argument is moot. :)

Today, on another ubiquitous knife forum I was confidently recommending some Spydercos and byrds. I also recommended a Salt series knife to a coworker for his duck hunting boat. I read with quite a smile the post of the lost Dragonfly Salt finding it's way home and how cool that was.

Then I chomped my sandwich and ate my freshly cut up apple and read about original compression lock designs and an awesome Caribbean review and an article on nitrogen-based steels and so on.

I have a birthday around the corner and every day for the past week my wife has been bugging me about what I want. I keep stalling my answer due some deranged idea that just maybe the Kapara will release just in time. When I get over $100 on a pocket knife I get real itchy and I don't get many of them so I have to be really sure. Then I'll tell myself maybe I should just get the Pattada and get the Kapara next year. Then that leads me to thinking about how cool it would be to have a M2LW in BD1N and then I get to thinking that I should really pick up another Dragonfly or maybe a byrd Robin for the car. I haven't tossed a knife in there yet...

I took a little time to think on my current Spyderco collection and all of those I've gifted over the years. I can always count on the quality of Spyderco.

It's one of my few remaining strong brand loyalties.

I reflected on how much I've learned from the folks here and how much I enjoy the discussions around our hobby. We might get a bit gruff here and there but that comes with any discussion people are passionate about. And people are passionate about their Spyderco's.

So any way, thanks every one. That's not butt kissing or anything of the sort, just a genuine reflection and statement of appreciation.

So yeah, when is that Kapara coming out anyways?

:D
Last edited by Eli Chaps on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Just a General Thank You

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm

It's one of my few remaining strong brand loyalties.

I reflected on how much I've learned from the folks here and how much I enjoy the discussions around our hobby......
Same here.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice thoughts Eli. You're right: despite the occasional dust-up or unpleasantness, this forum has been a very pleasant and supportive place. There are a lot of good folks here and I've enjoyed hearing from them all.

By the way, happy upcoming birthday. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thank you too for being here Eli.
:spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good on you Eli! :cool: :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

How do you like them apples? :D

I was just tryin to justify another new knife :p
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I haven’t been here long but I’m glad I got here. Good place, good people.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This is a great virtual community. I have learned a great deal about knives, steel, designs and uses, more than I thought possible before hanging out here. I have also learned that there are kind, supportive folks here too. I’ve gotten more support and conversation here than in my local community.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great post. Thankful for you Eli!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m having a quiet night at home and was doing some reflecting as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Very nice. I also am thankful for this forum. There is a good spirit here and many fine people.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Nice thoughts and good work gang-

You lot go alright.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Here's a good place to be.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice post Eli! I agree 100%. :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good stuff, Eli. Thanks for sharing.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as said many times..
you come because of the knives, you stay because of the people! :spyder: