Help me choose my first Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

For my first Spydie ever. (light weight for hunting)

Stretch 2 ZDP-189
67%
Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet
11%
Other
22%

Total votes: 9

azdonw

Help me choose my first Spydie

Post by azdonw »

Long tire lurker but hopefully a new Spyderco owner soon. I'm looking for an elk (and other animal) skinner/dresser that won't need sharpening midway through. I have 2 old Gerber folders and a fixed blade Remington, all in ATS-34, so you know the time frame of my last knife purchases :) . They've been okay, but I've never made it through an entire elk without needing to sharpen or bring in a second knife. I got the urge for a new super steel, and I'm think'n Spydie! As I would be toting it along with my other hunting gear, weight is highly important. Blade shape for the skinning part is also important, but probably not as important. I do have a diamond sharpener and recently ordered a new one.
I'm looking at:
a) Stretch 2 ZDP-189
better shape for skinning
longer blade
easier to clean?
more stain resistant,
less expensive but...
heavier
shorter lasting edge
not the sexiest, newest super steel

b) Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet.
lighter weight,
longer lasting edge,
newest, sexy super steel! but...
not the best skinning shape
mechanism might be harder to clean after processing game
much more expensive
blood, etc. will stain
may rust if can't dry fast enough (live in a desert, so not as big issue)

I'm open to other suggestions, too. Mule, anyone?
Hgwxx7

Re: Help me choose my first Spydie

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Well, the Stretch was previously called the "hunter" for a reason!

For your needs the Stretch in ZDP may be the one you're looking for. It's pretty lightweight.

There are a whole line of fixed blades that may interest you as well. The mule has a similar shape to the Manix. Have you looked at the Sprig (which I think is more of a bird and trout knife) or any of the Stuart Ackerman Spydercos?

EDIT: The SpydieChef may also be a great knife for your needs. It's LC200N so you won't have to worry about rust, especially a CQI model with ceramic detent. Plus you could carry it easily outside the field.
Stay Golden :spyder:
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Uh.... How about you skip the folder designed specifically for hunting and get the A11 Mule while they are still available ;) :p
groundhog-day-driving.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Stretch ZDP-189 would be the right choice for you. I am not certain you could tell any real world difference between ZDP-189 and Maxamet in the field. Personally, I might opt for the VG-10 Stretch as it would be easier to sharpen in the field. However, the Stretch is the knife you want.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Not the Manix unless you are wearing gloves. The aggressive jimping is too much for sustained use like that.

Not the Stretch because of the closed back construction. All that blood and gunk getting in there. Gross.

This comes up now and then and I just don’t understand why you’re not just using a fixed blade hunting or skinning knife. Every knife doesn’t need to be a Spyderco.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

A good clean and it should be ok. ZDP isn't the most stainless, but it should work fine. Used my CF/ZPD one for reindeer, elk and moose. Edge holding is very good, but avoid bone and don't apply too much sideways force on the edge.

A fixed blade is better in use and either a Mule or Serrata would work fine if you want something from Spyderco. Streat beat works too if you can find one :) If you count in the sheath a fixed blade often adds quite a bit of weight over a folder.
Shane77

Post by Shane77 »

I agree with using the stretch and think it would serve you well in this elk dressing role...but in my opinion, only as a sidekick to a good fixed blade. Spyderco has many good fixed blade options.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There have been a lot of deer and elk skinned and cleaned with a Buck 110, so I think the Stretch will be up to the task. I think, (my opinion), that the VG-10 will be tougher than the ZDP-189 and that is why I recommended it, plus the fact that it will be easier to sharpen in the field. I wish they made this knife in CTS-XHP. That would be the best all around steel for this knife, in believe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050