Warranty and Modified Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brackish

Warranty and Modified Knives

Post by Brackish »

If I were to purchase a Spyderco marked as “modified” from a retailer (see example below), would I essentially be buying a Spyderco without the warranty?

Thanks

https://www.knivesplus.com/modified-spy ... andle.html
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
knivesandbooks

Re: Warranty and Modified Knives

Post by knivesandbooks »

Yeah
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I don't know about the warranty, but I will say that my two modified Delicas and one modified Endura are three of my favorite Spydercos.

I went with a couple of "Red Dragon" models and let me tell ya, they came sharp as razors. The regrinds are superb. The way I looked at it, I have only needed warranty help once over dozens of Spydies, and if there was anything with the knife the "modders" would have discovered it while working on the knife. Stonewash and heat colored screws were a worthwhile upgrade and look great.

OK, I see your link is to the Salt. Since the only mod on that is the dye job, you MIGHT still be good on warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

There shouldn't be an issue with the warranty unless the modification or disassembly/reassembly of the knife itself causes damage, or if you tried to claim they owe you new oem scales under it lol.

My best advice is to read the policy. It's all spelled out pretty explicitly on the warranty page:

https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

"If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect."

"Spyderco’s warranty only applies to original, unaltered Spyderco components. Aftermarket parts and accessories added to your knife are not covered by our warranty, nor are Spyderco components that have been altered or modified in any way. If, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the installation of an aftermarket part or the modification of an original Spyderco factory part compromised the proper mechanical function of the knife in any way, the knife is no longer covered by warranty."
:spyder:
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Nate wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:38 pm
There shouldn't be an issue with the warranty unless the modification or disassembly/reassembly of the knife itself causes damage, or if you tried to claim they owe you new oem scales under it lol.

My best advice is to read the policy. It's all spelled out pretty explicitly on the warranty page:

https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

"If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect."

"Spyderco’s warranty only applies to original, unaltered Spyderco components. Aftermarket parts and accessories added to your knife are not covered by our warranty, nor are Spyderco components that have been altered or modified in any way. If, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the installation of an aftermarket part or the modification of an original Spyderco factory part compromised the proper mechanical function of the knife in any way, the knife is no longer covered by warranty."
Interesting. So, if you dye the scales, then they are no longer under warranty. However, the rest of the knife should be.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Kiteman72 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:22 pm
I don't know about the warranty, but I will say that my two modified Delicas and one modified Endura are three of my favorite Spydercos.

I went with a couple of "Red Dragon" models and let me tell ya, they came sharp as razors. The regrinds are superb. The way I looked at it, I have only needed warranty help once over dozens of Spydies, and if there was anything with the knife the "modders" would have discovered it while working on the knife. Stonewash and heat colored screws were a worthwhile upgrade and look great.

OK, I see your link is to the Salt. Since the only mod on that is the dye job, you MIGHT still be good on warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.
Your warranty point is valid. I’m just gun shy, warranty wise, after having to purchase two dehumidifiers in the last two years. Neither of the issues they had were covered under warranty. What’s interesting is that it’s the number one issue with that model.
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I've had my eye on that dyed Salt, the SE version anyway. I haven't tried anything with H1 and figure it's getting to be about time.

According to what Nate quoted, it sounds like a dye job wouldn't hurt your warranty at all.