Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Post by JD Spydo »

Many of us here have been Spyderco fans for quite some time. Even a lot of the newcomers we've had here at Spyderville are very much aware of some of the older classics like the Mariner, any of the Calypso models or a number of older, time tested models that you consider to be SUPER CLASSICS. The Immortal Harpy and of course the timeless MILITARY model both fit that definition in my rankings.

Now here lately I've been looking over my "User Arsenal" of Spyderco blades and I love certain models so much that I even refer to some of them as SUPER CLASSICS.

For instance I've got a couple of older 1990s models that I've had for a long time and they are still my ultimate favorites but more than that I also consider them SUPER CLASSICS. The ATS-55 Era Stainless Handled RESCUE model is one that I consider a SUPER CLASSIC from yesterday's models and my older and very rare fully serrated CATCHERMAN with AUS-8 blade steel. If that knife had an odometer it would have way over 400,000 miles on it.

I also consider two of my older C-60 Ayoob models SUPER CLASSIC Spyders. I would also add the C-54 Calypso which is the original grand dad for all the Calypso models and I consider it a SUPER CLASSIC. One more I'll add to my list of SUPER CLASSICS is my original, ATS-55 era C-44 DYAD model.

OK what do you all consider your personal Spyderco SUPER CLASSICS? It doesn't necessarily have to be a really old model but on the other hand I think it's status that should be earned to some point. So tell us which Spyderco models you've loved so much that you consider them a SUPER CLASSIC. It might just be one that you don't even use>> it might be a safe queen that you consider sacred. OK let's get started :cool: :spyder:
ugaarguy

Re: Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Post by ugaarguy »

Super Classic: Calypso Jr in AUS-8 and black micarta. It's the only knife I've ever regretted selling. One day I'll hopefully get another one.

Instant Classic: SpydieChef with CQI ceramic ball detent. It's basically rustproof, and (unlike the Caribbean) has no liners to trap moisture. The chef has an amazing nitrogen steel blade with the simple construction of riding that blade on bronze washers in frame locking Ti slab scales with standoffs. Until we get a Vanax blade in something like a Sage 2 pattern, the Chef is the ultimate Salt series folder (IMO of course). I hope it leads to more Salt Ti framelocks with even more advanced nitrogen steels.

Under Rated Future Classic(s): The red and black weave, and blue and black weave Dominos. They have R like ergos in a frame lock. The red and black weave is the only red and black Spyderco I know of. It matches the Spyderco company colors, and it matches my college team's colors. Mine is a safe queen / fidget toy that gets admired quite a bit but carried very rarely, if at all. The black and blue model reminds of the police thin blue line stylized items that are around. I suspect that color scheme will be sought after by LE if more officers discover it. If these two color schemes stay this rare, I suspect they'll become highly collectible.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 pm
Super Classic: Calypso Jr in AUS-8 and black micarta. It's the only knife I've ever regretted selling. One day I'll hopefully get another one.

Instant Classic: SpydieChef with CQI ceramic ball detent. It's basically rustproof, and (unlike the Caribbean) has no liners to trap moisture. The chef has an amazing nitrogen steel blade with the simple construction of riding that blade on bronze washers in frame locking Ti slab scales with standoffs. Until we get a Vanax blade in something like a Sage 2 pattern, the Chef is the ultimate Salt series folder (IMO of course). I hope it leads to more Salt Ti framelocks with even more advanced nitrogen steels.
Can't argue with that Micarta Caly Jr. However if they would do something really out of the ordinary like doing a Sprint Run with the Micarta Caly Jr. I would love that if they would use one of the Supersteels. Why Spyderco has somewhat abandoned the gorgeous Micarta models really kind of breaks my heart in a way. My guess would be that manufacturing costs must have catapulted. But The Caly Jr. with a top quality handle would be an instant sell out IMO.

Also can't argue with the Spydiechef. Haven't used one yet but it looks to be a great model. Yeah the Caly Jr is a SUPER CLASSIC!! But so is it's big daddy the C-54 Calypso model too :cool:
FK

Post by FK »

C36 Military in full serrated CPM 440V blade.

Regards,
FK

Member since Feb 17, 2001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FK wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am
C36 Military in full serrated CPM 440V blade.
Member since Feb 17, 2001
A big "AMEN"!!! and Hallelujah!! to that Super Classic :cool: But on the same note I will also add some of the C-36 Military Sprint Runs like my hallowed M390 Military :cool: as well as the D2 version and some of the latest in the C-36 Military Sprint Runs. Speaking of Sprint Runs I would have to add the Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr. If Spyderco had a "HALL OF FAME" ( which they should) the Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr would be one of the first for sure.

There's a reason that the C-36 Military model has been in the main line up as long as it has>> because it's the "REAL DEAL" :cool:
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

POLICE #C07GS SPYDEREDGE G-10 GIN-1
JESS HORN #C34S SPYDEREDGE MICARTA AUS-8
MILITARY #C36GSE SPYDEREDGE G-10 CPM 440V
MINI DYAD #C39P&S PLAIN & SERRATED MICARTA ATS-55
BOB LUM #C46P PLAIN EDGE TITANIUM ATS-55 My all time favorite I have all 6 early variations
J.D. SMITH #C58BMP PLAIN EDGE MICARTA ATS-34
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pretty much anything with Micarta handles, especially the white and burgundy varieties. :) The Kopa models also rank super high up there for me. I really enjoy many of the old school Japanese Spydercos, more so probably than ones from the early Golden years. All the Bob Lum models rank way up there too.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm
Pretty much anything with Micarta handles, especially the white and burgundy varieties. :) The Kopa models also rank super high up there for me. I really enjoy many of the old school Japanese Spydercos, more so probably than ones from the early Golden years. All the Bob Lum models rank way up there too.

You can't bring up the Kopa without the Kiwi. In my opinion, the Caly Jr., JD Smith in Micarta handles and the first generation Native models are all Super Classic.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'm largely ignorant to spyderco's history compared to most of you, but the 2 most iconic models to me are the Endura and the Delica.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My overall SUPER CLASSIC :spyder: would be the Spyderco Military, any steel, PE.

Second closest SUPER CLASSIC would be the old Spyderco C95 Manix, PE.

Then right there with the Military and C95 Manix as a SUPER CLASSIC would be the Spyderco Delica, PE and SE.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Michael Walker C22 was the first to mind.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 pm
I'm largely ignorant to spyderco's history compared to most of you, but the 2 most iconic models to me are the Endura and the Delica.
I definitely think the Endura deserves to be in the conversation. However, I like the the latest FFG rendition. I'm not sure if that would classify as a super classic though.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

What, no PM2? Certainly iconic, wildly popular, and a knife that so many get compared to.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Also, Delica of course.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CXXX wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm
POLICE #C07GS SPYDEREDGE G-10 GIN-1
JESS HORN #C34S SPYDEREDGE MICARTA AUS-8
MILITARY #C36GSE SPYDEREDGE G-10 CPM 440V
MINI DYAD #C39P&S PLAIN & SERRATED MICARTA ATS-55
BOB LUM #C46P PLAIN EDGE TITANIUM ATS-55 My all time favorite I have all 6 early variations
J.D. SMITH #C58BMP PLAIN EDGE MICARTA ATS-34
Holy SPYDEREDGE BATMAN!!! :cool: That is one supercool line up of SUPER-CLASSICs :cool: Hey CXXX!! You get it!!! You get exactly what I'm talking about. There is sort of a mixture of iconic, super functional and extremely envied old school classics that just put the point across exactly like I was thinking when I started this amusing thread :) But Brother you most definitely get what I'm talking about. :spyder:

You get a Super HIGH-FIVE for that line up!! :cool:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Many good ones I would've picked have already been named, but I guess the WORKER is the ULTIMATE SUPER CLASSIC. Still wonder sometimes about tracking down one of the sprints, but it's never quite made the top of the list for me, despite its status. :o
:spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm
You can't bring up the Kopa without the Kiwi. In my opinion, the Caly Jr., JD Smith in Micarta handles and the first generation Native models are all Super Classic.
You know something Landon? I just want to sit down and start crying like a really young baby when I see pictures of the KOPA model. It was back around 2005 when I went to that BLADE Show in Atlanta and my best friend at the time was very sick and couldn't go ( even though he had a ticket :( ) and he called me and ask me to get him a black KOPA. The next day I looked all over that show and finally found one. When I got back my buddy died on me so I sent the Black KOPA back to SPYDERCO and they engraved his name, date of Birth, and date of death. His family still has that black KOPA and showed it to me back around Memorial Day of this year. Again I almost started crying like a 5 year old that just had his candy stripped away from him.

For that reason I just refuse to even own a KOPA even though it is one of my favorite of all the "Small Spyders">> but I never will forget how happy he was that I did land him one at the show. And YES the KOPA does indeed qualify as a SUPER CLASSIC.

Now where in the heck is my ol-buddy the DEACON :D He has the very best collection of Mariners, RESCUEs and most of the other great Sheepsfoot Spyders. He's holding out on us :D I'm anxious to see what he thinks is a Super-Classic :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean.

Dyad.

Swick.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Super leaf!
Military!
Dragonfly 2!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

How has no one mentioned the Persian yet?
I’m partial the red one with the bolsters. Well, partial to bolsters all around. Like the caly 3 with carbon and bolsters. Wish I had that one.