Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Post by JD Spydo »

Qcrazy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm
I'll jump in:

And the Mariner was a beast of a knife.
OH you struck a special nerve mentioning the MARINER :cool: That was the very first Spyder I ever purchased going all the way back to April of 1995 :spyder: But it wasn't long till I got close to a dozen more within the next 18 months or so. But the STainless handled, full Spyderedged MARINER was my entry into the Spyder Fraternity.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Reading through all of the posts in this subject just confirms to me that you couldn't close your eyes and throw a dart at a list of early Spyderco's and not hit a Super Classic design. I'm much more attached to the early knives than the present. I think to me that the hollow grind gives a knife a more appealing look. It may not separate material the same as FFG, but there's just a wow factor that hits my senses.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ZrowsN1s wrote: I know they are new, but the Hawkbill Dragonfly and Wharncliffe Delica are destined to be classics.
I agree with you 100%. I almost feel we need a descriptor to define the newest era of Spyderco knives. Perhaps the Silver Era is appropriate?
PanChango wrote: Some wonderful knives mentioned in this thread.

I am a little saddened for the lack of love of the Stretch/Hunter line. Great knives.

I think the Caly 3.5 in Aogami Super Blue fits the role for me. Great knife in a great steel.
Here is a man after my own heart. If any knife was to fit into a category ranking outside of the "Golden Era" that JD loves to reference, these two knives would be at the top of the heap.

For me, this design knocks the Millie from it's podium and is the epitome of modern Spyderco CQI.

I am fortunate enough to have discovered Spyderco when I did. It's focus on all the key ingredients is what keeps my heart racing and my wallet open.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Don't disagree with anything said yet!

I'd add the Cricket to my own list along with the bolstered Persian, Harpy, and the Caly 3.5. (The 3.5 beats out the other Calypsos for me as a more refined design, but the Stretch is close...)

The Endura is the first Spyderco I saw and owned, but I think the Police is more iconic, and I'd insist that it's still the most recognizable model from the '80s. (Especially in SE with a SS handle.)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:48 am
I agree with you 100%. I almost feel we need a descriptor to define the newest era of Spyderco knives. Perhaps the Silver Era is appropriate?
Spyderco has definitely entered a new era 2016-present. Although the quality, materials, steels, and selection have improved since the Golden Era... so rather than Silver, I would say we are in the Platinum Era of Spyderco. (Or maybe the Maxamet Era? :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:14 pm
xceptnl wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:48 am
Spyderco has definitely entered a new era 2016-present. Although the quality, materials, steels, and selection have improved since the Golden Era... so rather than Silver, I would say we are in the Platinum Era of Spyderco. (Or maybe the Maxamet Era? :D )
Yeah guys that's a great point you all make>> because just from the standpoint of advanced and much improved materials it's fair to say that we have entered into a new Spyder-Era. The immense selection of the newer/better blade steels and the vast amount of new IN House models and collaborations along with a wide range of specialty designs is nothing short of mind-boggling.

Oh I'm still a huge fan of the old school Spyders that drew me into Spyder-Mania and probably will be for some time to come. But I would be deliberately ignoring what is right in front of our faces here of late If I didn't recognize the recent explosion of new products in the main line up. Oh I think it's really a good thing even though most of us have our favorite past eras that we tend to cling to. But much of the progress has been extremely interesting from a "product evolution" stand point. And there's probably something in the new product line up that many of us will end up liking better when it's all said and done.
alpharon

Post by alpharon »

This thread needs more photos.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I also remember the KIWI and KOPA models during the mid part of the previous decade having at least a three year explosion of popularity which I don't remember ever happening to any other small Spyders to that degree.

Probably the very first Spyderco model that I thought attained iconic status was the full SE, Stainless handle POLICE model. Actually I don't think that the popularity of the POLICE model has ever faded.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the Peter Herbst model>> because in it's day it was really super popular at one point.