Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: Spyderco Models That You Consider As SUPER CLASSICS

Post by spyderwolf »

Delica and Military
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:34 pm
How has no one mentioned the Persian yet?
I’m partial the red one with the bolsters. Well, partial to bolsters all around. Like the caly 3 with carbon and bolsters. Wish I had that one.
The Persians, Kris, Calypso and Calypso Jr., Dyad, Goddards, and several others are covered 100% under my “Everything Micarta” comment above.

I’ll also again mention all things Bob Lum:

The original Terzuola designs (dragon head, etc) are also classics:

Plus not to mention all the crazy/wonderful models by Ed Schempp and the groundbreaking original designs of Mr. Sal Glesser himself - Worker, Delica/Endura, CALYPSO/CALY/UKPK family (my favorites!), and on and on... :D

(Japanese market Ti Delica 3)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elena86

Post by elena86 »

There is only one : Spyderco Police C07 in spyderedge.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:34 pm
How has no one mentioned the Persian yet?
I’m partial the red one with the bolsters. Well, partial to bolsters all around. Like the caly 3 with carbon and bolsters. Wish I had that one.
Yeah you've got something there "SF" ;) Because that Ed Schempp Persian model was one of about 4 models I can mention that had a true "cult following". The one Super Classic model I dearly love that has a blade with some "belly" on it and that being the C-60 Massad Ayoob model. But the longer I get deeply into many of Spyderco's collaborations I now find myself liking blades with well defined curve. And the Persian has that and then some. I can't at all object to your well thought out choice "SF" :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This thread needs more eye candy...

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Very nice! We need an Orange H1 SE Catcherman sprint to match the Spyderhawk sprint!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 pm
xceptnl wrote:

Very nice! We need an Orange H1 SE Catcherman sprint to match the Spyderhawk sprint!
I could not agree with you more. I'm even fine with the integral clip.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I still really like the Worker. An updated FRN Worker with a wire clip and H1 SE and PE would be sweet. Especially blacked out.

The Military is obviously a super classic. Not much else to say that hasn't been said already aside from please continue the evolution by making a G10 Salt Military with PE and SE H1! Blacked out. Would be the end all be all folding outdoor knife. :D

The C95 Manix is my other vote. I would love to see a sprint of the orginal big daddy with the "dino jimping" in something like DLC Cruwear, 4V, or 3V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The other old school Spydoes I really like the looks of are the old Tim Wegner and Bob Terzuola designed blades. I don't own any as the high prices and VG-10 don't appeal to me as much as the current Spydies, but if they were ever to bring some of these back from the dead and do them in Golden with steels like Cruwear and M4, then I'd be all over some of these.

The Ocelot is the one I REALLY love! Such an incredible design and I even love the paw print cutouts! Aside from the C95 Manix, this would be the other one I would love resurrect as a Golden made model with red G10 and DLC Cruwear or 4V.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
This thread needs more eye candy...
Landon!! :mad: I hate you!!! :D Nah!! Just kidding :D But you could replace the word "hate" with the word "Envy" and truthfully that would be close to accurate :rolleyes: I've had over the years everything on your picture parade with the exception of that Co-Pilot>> never ever had one of those. Short blades just don't pump my adrenal glands like some of those grown up Spyders do :cool:

Landon ol' Buddy I want one of those "Yellow" full Spyderedged, AUS-8 Catcherman models so bad that someone could probably clobber me on a trade if they played their cards right :rolleyes: It seems like you, myself and probably only two other Spyderville citizens know just how awesome of a kitchen and outdoor tool that full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman really is. It's the only model I know of with that particular serration pattern. And I know you back me 1000% on that one for sure. Gee ol' Buddy that C-111 Captain sure looks familiar :D We've just got to get the Great Spyder Factory to do a Sprint Run of the Catcherman in full SE and the Captain with the inner arch in full SE. To me that would be the ultimate Sprint Run, Christmas gift set for the upcoming holidays.

Yes Landon my great Spyder Buddy you most definitely know the full definition of SUPER-CLASSIC Spyders :cool: I hearby proclaim you to be one of Spyderville's ambassadors for old School Spyders. You get it!!! you most definitely get what I'm talking about :cool: I give you a big serrated HIGH FIVE and a huge verbal salute :cool: :spyder: LONG LIVE THE GREAT SPYDER FACTORY!!! :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Errr, yup good job Landon! Glad someone’s adding pics to this thread... :o
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that a lot of you all disagree with me but I do believe that one special place in time really defined what Spyderco has become today. I call it the "GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS ( 1998-2003). Just look at those great pics that "xcepnl" just shared with us. Most of the models in those pics have come from The Golden Era of Spyders ( 1998-2003). Also look at how many other posts on this thread where the models that people call their own "SUPER CLASSICS">> most of them so far in this thread have again come from The GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS

That era was truly a special time in Spyder-History where they really set the tone for their overall product line that you can still see today in many instances. Great pictures!!! Great Input!! But please don't quit now.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Came here to mention the Persian as a super clasic and the Spydiechef as a super classic-in-waiting.

Late as ususal. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Big50 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 am
Came here to mention the Persian as a super clasic and the Spydiechef as a super classic-in-waiting.

Late as ususal. ;)
Oh without a doubt Ed Schempp's designs truly have a following. One I liked better during that same era in which the Persian gained popularity was the KRIS model. I've wanted to see a Sprint Run of the KRIS over the years. It's one of the very few models from that time period that for whatever reason I never got my hands on. And I'm starting to really appreciate Recurve blades.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know they are new, but the Hawkbill Dragonfly and Wharncliffe Delica are destined to be classics.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:29 am
Big50 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 am

Late as ususal. ;)
Oh without a doubt Ed Schempp's designs truly have a following. One I liked better during that same era in which the Persian gained popularity was the KRIS model. I've wanted to see a Sprint Run of the KRIS over the years. It's one of the very few models from that time period that for whatever reason I never got my hands on. And I'm starting to really appreciate Recurve blades.
If they made a sprint Kris, I would buy 2. I've wanted one for a while, but I never can justify the price when they come available.

White or grey/blue handle with satin blade, bolsters and hardware. Steel is the kicker, it was made in Moki right? Unclad Super Blue?

I've been enjoying the Caly Jr so far, the steel even more so. I know it's going to be rough taking care of it, but I have never had a steel stay at this level of sharpness for so long. I've been using it as my fruit knife.

I'd also take a Persian in the same setup.

I won't hold my breath for either.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Some wonderful knives mentioned in this thread.

I am a little saddened for the lack of love of the Stretch/Hunter line. Great knives.

I think the Caly 3.5 in Aogami Super Blue fits the role for me. Great knife in a great steel.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'll jump in:
Vieles, Large and small and later including the Phoenix
Meerkats
Navigator, Co-Pilot, Pegasus since they are so similar
Not to forget:
Venator/Pro Grip

And the Mariner was a beast of a knife.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Another vote for the Kris. They don’t make em like they used to.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PanChango wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm
Some wonderful knives mentioned in this thread.

I am a little saddened for the lack of love of the Stretch/Hunter line. Great knives.

I think the Caly 3.5 in Aogami Super Blue fits the role for me. Great knife in a great steel.
Personally the more I think about it I truly believe that all of the CALYPSO series should be considered IN HOUSE, SUPER CLASSICS. I"m also thinking that all the IN HOUSE TEMPERANCE models ( FIxed & folders) should also be in the SUPER CLASSIC slot as well.