Left handed military trainer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Left handed military trainer

Post by Bodog »

I'd really love to hear Michael Janich's thoughts on this.

In another thread i said this:
"That's something my BORTAC compadres absolutely recommend. Keep the pocket knife in the support hand side cargo pocket in case you can't get to your gun. And practice A LOT with deploying it from multiple situations. As it is right now i keep a military or pm2 in my strong side cargo pocket. (Added for this post: Much easier to access and use if someone is mounting me and i can't reasonably pull my pistol. But most of these guys train with a right handed, blunted, pocket knife carried on their left side. That's wayyy too cumbersome for the real world, imo.)

I hope I'm not the only one who'd love to see a cheap left handed military trainer. I'd buy one. I'm right handed and need a barney level left handed trainer, especially something that incorporates the military, pm2, and pm3.

For anyone wondering, i have my pistol at 3 o'clock hip, pocket knife strong side cargo pocket in case I get mounted, baton 10 o'clock support side and taser 11 o'clock, support side cross draw. Leatherman right behind my pistol, flexi-cuffs in a pouch directly behind that. Keys right behind baton scabbard. Radio at 9 o'clock. Cuffs at 7 o'clock. M4 mags carried on my vest along with extra cuffs. Tactical-ish pen carried center chest, lost my tuff writer and will be getting another when I can. Right now it's a cheap zebra. Don't like it as much.

All this to say my setup is how I like it excepting my pocket knife position. But my support hand is too clumsy to safely practice using a real pocket knife from the support hand side cargo pocket. Knowing me I'd cut some artery or cut my +%$tiscles off."

I think left handed military trainer would be smart. I doubt a lot of people would see the benefit. I do. I don't really think it would sell well but the people who bought one would be buying one with the mentality that they're absolutely serious about the reasons behind buying one and it is because it's a life or death situation they're training for. I could be wrong, but i don't believe i am. Please let me know if you've trained or have any real mentality that accepts the very real need for this training and if it's something disagreeable. Not saying I'm right, i would love to hear others' thoughts. I could be totally wrong. Please let me know what you think if you've considered ever needing to use your support(in this case, left) hand alone for fighting off an attacker on top of you without a pistol (or your strong hand at all) to rely on.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ferider

Re: Left handed military trainer

Post by ferider »

Left/Right hand just affects the closing mechanism. I strongly favor my right hand, but can easily finger flick my Militarys, Paramilitary's, Chinook, and even K2 and Police 4 with my left hand. And the Police 4 and Chinook locks are symmetric. Do you really need to close the knife fast, and does it have to be a liner lock for tactical reasons ? Just wondering.

Now a trainer is a good idea, of course. I can send you a spare s30v Military blade if you want to grind it down.