Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Post by Pelagic »

It doesn't seem like there is a thread dedicated to answering the many random questions users may have pertaining to spyderco knives, and often times these questions don't necessarily warrant making their own thread. This can also be a place to share knife related comments and issues, or for advice to be given regarding sharpening, knife maintenance, modifications, etc.

:D

I have a question or 2:

Which models have a compression lock aside from the pm2, para 3, Shaman, and Caribbean?

Do we know of any sprint runs coming out in pakkawood scales?

What model do you feel is the most underrated spyderco of them all?

Have a blessed day everyone!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tvenuto

Re: Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Post by tvenuto »

The Oruboros has a comp lock. Nice little knife that will fall victim to the “Seki value issue” I’m afraid.

I haven’t heard of any.

The R is absolutely the most underrated Spyderco.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Why is it called the "R"? Is that short for something?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The ATR, Sliverax, Salsa, Lil Temperance (1+2), Junior, Superhawk, Superleaf, S, Shaman, Lil’ Native, Yojimbo (1+2), Szabo Folder, Rhino, S, Wolfspyder...I’m sure there are a few more I’m missing. I know there are plenty more coming.

Most underrated Spyderco? Well the UKPK of course. :cool:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 pm
tvenuto wrote:

Don’t think it’s short for anything and I have no idea, it’s just its name. There’s also a Q and an S. All of these featured a skeletonized handle or blade. That’s a better question for Sal and Co.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

A couple other compression lock knives (I'll label the discontinued ones with a "D"):

Lil' Native, Sage 5, Yojimbo, Junior (D), Salsa (D), Szabo Folder (D), Rhino, Hanan and Vesuvius (D).

I also haven't heard of any other Pakkawood handled knives coming, but would be happy to hear of more.

As for underrated, I think that the Centofante 3 often gets overlooked because it hasn't had a design update in almost a decade and a half, doesn't get sprint runs, no "special" blade steels, and isn't using a lock with a lot of buzz around it.

Edit: typing on my tablet was slow and it looks like Liquid Cobra covered most of the compression locks while I was typing away. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wow... I had no idea so many models had the comp lock!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the *first* Spyderco with compression lock, the Gunting. Although its model number, C68, is later than the Vesuvius, C66--another quirk.

One other feature of the Gunting's compression lock is unique among Spydercos; which is...?

(a later Spyderco design might *almost* fit that unique criterium-- which model would that be?)

--Part of the "Spyderco Trivial Pursuit" game I've been cobbling together, hehe--

edit: actually that stuff is all just in my head, and pops up with different sorting or detail queries. But a Trivial Pursuit game would be a tiny hoot
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm
One other feature of the Gunting's compression lock is unique among Spydercos; which is...?
Would it be that the Gunting had the lock cutout on the right-handed/presentation/obverse/show side of the knife (which would place the lock itself on the left-handed/reverse side)?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

jabba359 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm
nicked.onaut wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm
Would it be that the Gunting had the lock cutout on the right-handed/presentation/obverse/show side of the knife (which would place the lock itself on the left-handed/reverse side)?

You might want to add that factoid to the Wiki. Or not.

After the Gunting, other Compression locks were reversed to the "front'/presentation scale. This allows easier and safer and more ergonomic manipulation with the index finger.

On the Gunting, release of the lock by thumb can be done with the scales pinched between fingers and thenar eminence, though the thumb access is somewhat awkward. To use the index finger on the lock release, one can use the side (ulnar/lateral aspect) of the index finger while the scales are held between thumb and other fingers, but that is a weak movement for the finger. If you rotate the hand to align the index fingertip/pad to press the lock release, the thumb tends to rotate into the path of the closing blade.

Sal solved those problems by switching the frame-side for the lock. Brilliant.

(my part two question should thus be obvious to you, but leave it for further cogitation and rumination by others?)

cheers
(from a teetotaler ;-)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:02 pm
Which models have a compression lock aside from the pm2, para 3, Shaman, and Caribbean?
If you're just looking for current models and soon to be released models you can filter by lock type on Blade HQ and Knife Center, and probably some other big knife retail sites.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nicked.onaut,

Actually I designed the Compression lock with the release on the side that we use now. Bram insisted that we make his version with the lock release reversed, which I made as he requested. But all of the other Compression locks were made as I designed the lock to be.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 pm
tvenuto wrote:

Hi Conner,

The first skeletonized blade model was called the "Q". We made many variations with logos in them. Then we made the "R" which was a larger version. Then we made the "S", which had a MIM'ed blade.

sal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 pm
Hi Nicked.onaut,

Actually I designed the Compression lock with the release on the side that we use now. Bram insisted that we make his version with the lock release reversed, which I made as he requested. But all of the other Compression locks were made as I designed the lock to be.

sal
I find it strangely pleasing that that was at his insistence. You always have such thoughtfulness in your designs. That switch-hit lock release also therefore include jimping to help with thumb purchase for release, which tended to chew up the side of the thumb tip. The "proper" side release requires no such jimping for the index finger..

Also, the switch-hit lock tab confers no apparent advantage for impact usage. I may pull out the trainer and the CRIMPT and see if I can decode why Bram was adamant. Or query?

kind regards,
a n.on
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Great topic, we haven't had a chat thread in a bit.

Recently got a Lil Native in, and eagerly looking forward to other new comp lock knives. Are all or most comp locks MBC rated, or if not MBC rated, up to the strength standards of MBC?

I ask because the lock construction on the Yojimbo 2 doesn't seem beefier than on, say, the Shaman - assuming liners/stop pins are not made from drastically different materials across models.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t choose a knife primary for its lock, but as it happens I have one slip joint (Roadie), one WLL (One-Eyed Jack) and three compression locks (Rhino, Lil’ Native,Para Military 2). I think compression locks are more than strong enough, easy to release and have minimal complexity.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The compression lock is simply extremely user friendly (if you're right handed) it's one of those things that surprises you the first time you use it, and still sneakily grows on you without you knowing it. Very intelligently designed in that regard.

The first time I carried a pm2 for 2 months and went back to a Military, it was as if I thought to myself "Ewww.... A liner lock?" for the very first time. So in my case it literally makes other locks look bad (at least in some ways). As much as I like my Military (down to one now... s110v), I think the next one I get will be a Ti frame lock. Liking liner locks less and less with time.

For me, ideally....
Everyday frequent use knife - compression lock, all day
Occasional hard use knife - Tri-Ad lock

I really do like the Tri-Ad lock, despite spyderco's locks blowing it out of the water in regard to ease of use/practicality. It will sound like blasphemy to the hardcore spyderco fans, but I have often wondered what a Glesser/Demko collaboration would be like..... Hard user, yet elegant? Tough, rugged, but beautiful and refined? A stout blade, but tall enough to maintain slicing ability? Ergonomics of a Shaman? Full liners but not too heavy? We'll likely never know.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I've got another question if anyone wants to weigh in...

What steels were you not very intrigued about at first impression, but they grew on you?

For me it could honestly be 8cr13mov. After some experience with CRKT's 8cr13mov, I was about to write it off as unworthy. But spyderco's byrd line has impressed me so much that I now want a Resilience for a "beater".
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 pm
The compression lock is simply extremely user friendly (if you're right handed) it's one of those things that surprises you the first time you use it, and still sneakily grows on you without you knowing it. Very intelligently designed in that regard.

The first time I carried a pm2 for 2 months and went back to a Military, it was as if I thought to myself "Ewww.... A liner lock?" for the very first time. So in my case it literally makes other locks look bad (at least in some ways). As much as I like my Military (down to one now... s110v), I think the next one I get will be a Ti frame lock. Liking liner locks less and less with time.

For me, ideally....
Everyday frequent use knife - compression lock, all day
Occasional hard use knife - Tri-Ad lock

I really do like the Tri-Ad lock, despite spyderco's locks blowing it out of the water in regard to ease of use/practicality. It will sound like blasphemy to the hardcore spyderco fans, but I have often wondered what a Glesser/Demko collaboration would be like..... Hard user, yet elegant? Tough, rugged, but beautiful and refined? A stout blade, but tall enough to maintain slicing ability? Ergonomics of a Shaman? Full liners but not too heavy? We'll likely never know.
I'll say this, the shaman is very well suited to hard use. Tip strength is off the charts even on the base s30v model.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you want a hard use lock, I'd say the CBBL of the Manix is what you are looking for.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal