Spyderco Caribbean why not Mfged. in Golden CO?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

Spyderco Caribbean why not Mfged. in Golden CO?

Post by snapshot2017 »

I really like about everything i am reading and viewing the review videos, of the new Spyderco Caribbean.
But i wonder why not is it being Mfg.ed in golden CO?, like the PM2 the Military and the Manix2 just somethng i would like to have answered.

And before someone asks me I an not bashing it now being made in Taiwan.
steelcity16

Re: Spyderco Caribbean why not Mfged. in Golden CO?

Post by steelcity16 »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm
I really like about everything i am reading and viewing the review videos, of the new Spyderco Caribbean.
But i wonder why not is it being Mfg.ed in golden CO?, like the PM2 the Military and the Manix2 just somethng i would like to have answered.

And before someone asks me I an not bashing it now being made in Taiwan.

My guess is no capacity at the Golden factory? Otherwise I would think they would have just focused on creating G10 Salt versions of their popular models like the PM2, Para 3, and Military. I imagine those would be insanely popular. Hopefully we will see those at some point.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Snapshot,

As mentioned, our Taiwan maker had more capacity for what could be a larger line. Now in one size, with two blade shapes and two edges. There is also a larger version planned.

sal
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:15 pm
Hi Snapshot,

As mentioned, our Taiwan maker had more capacity for what could be a larger line. Now in one size, with two blade shapes and two edges. There is also a larger version planned.

sal
Thank you Sal for the quick reply and i do understand the Taiwan Spyderco Mfgs. do quality work.
I just feel in my heart Golden Co. is Spyderco it's where the owner and his son are, and where all the other many people here in the USA who have made Spyderco a major player in knife's.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Snapshot,

We began making knives in '81 with all of them made in Japan. We didn't start our US factory in Golden until the 90's.

sal
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:27 pm
Hi Snapshot,

We began making knives in '81 with all of them made in Japan. We didn't start our US factory in Golden until the 90's.

sal
When i was getting started in being a knife part time salesman, at a local sporting goods store, i didn't know anything about the Spyderco line of knives.
After seeing many people buy the Spyderco Delica 4s, i bought my first Spyderco knife the Delica 4 in black, i noticed it was made in Japan and i thought all Spyderco's were also made in Japan.
Last edited by snapshot2017 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you sal! I REALLY like and appreciate this knife! You have fulfilled one of my oldest dreams with it.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

I just can't help thinking just what David "Davy" Crockett would have thought, if when he stopped at James Blacks shop in Washington Arkansas to buy a knife, on his way to fight and die March 6, 1836 at the Alamo.

If Mr. Black had told Davy i don't have a Coffin handle Bowie Davy today i have to order it from China.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 pm
I just can't help thinking just what David "Davy" Crockett would have thought, if when he stopped at James Blacks shop in Washington Arkansas to by a knife, on his way to fight and die March 6, 1836 at the Alamo.

If Mr. Black had told Davy i don't have a Coffin handle Bowie Davy today i have to order it from China.
Not trying to be a smart alec, but... Mr. Crockett would find a great many things upsetting in our world.
Perhaps the shift in manufacturing would offend him. But, remember that goods manufactured at scale in America were still quite a recent development in his time. (The Bessemer process for mass production of steel hadn't even been developed!)

At that time, as now, quality blades made to suit "unique" needs were available from local artisans.

The height of blade manufacturing volume in the US has probably passed us by, but there are still plenty of talented makers forging and grinding excellent blades, made to suit nearly every taste and budget you can imagine.

Spyderco (among others) is playing with a delicate balance of investment in production capacity, innovation in materials and design, and maintaining quality control.
The system isn't perfect, but the Glessers have created a company with value that can't be measured in terms you could put on a bumper sticker.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Davy Crockett only thought anything because he wasn’t killed off my a bacterial infection when he was young. We may have our problems, but not everything was better in the past (as we talk about powder metallurgy knives over the Internet)...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would like it if they manufactured the Lc200N Carbibbean and other such Salt knives in Colorado, as well, but I am appreciative and thankful for all they do and what we have available.

The Caribbean Salt is truly an innovative super-design.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF, Jackson,

Thanx for the kind words.

I guess we could sell Mr. Crocket a "Respect" out of respect for Jim Bowie, made in Colorado?

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

A larger carribean?? Interesting!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 am
Welcome back buddy. I’ve missed your input around here.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:36 am
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 am
Welcome back buddy. I’ve missed your input around here.
Thanks buddy. Have a good one!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 pm
Hi SEF, Jackson,

Thanx for the kind words.

I guess we could sell Mr. Crocket a "Respect" out of respect for Jim Bowie, made in Colorado?

sal
That Respect Bowie is one really neat knife,i would like seeing a coffin handle on one.