Advanced Rit Dye Techniques?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BIGSTRETCH

Advanced Rit Dye Techniques?

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Hello

I've seen people use nail polish to create interesting patterns on Ti while anodizing. What are some methods of creating cool patterns and effects on G10 or FRN/GFN/FRCP/etc. with Rit Dye?

I'm only aware of the fade/gradient dying that JT's Knife Life has demonstrated on youtube, but would love to be able to make a crisp tiger stripe pattern or write a name for example.

Pics are always appreciated!

Thanks!
embry386

Re: Advanced Rit Dye Techniques?

Post by embry386 »

I've heard of people using glue from a hot glue gun to cover parts of the handle prior to dyeing. Never dyed a knife myself (yet) but from the photos it did seem to work pretty well. That was on an FRN knife by the way.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

embry386 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:51 pm
I've heard of people using glue from a hot glue gun to cover parts of the handle prior to dyeing. Never dyed a knife myself (yet) but from the photos it did seem to work pretty well. That was on an FRN knife by the way.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. :)
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Hot glue works great. That’s how we used to create patterns on the heads of lacrosse sticks we would dye. You can even pick pieces off as you go, and then re-dunk what you’re dyeing. Creates a faded/layered effect with crisp lines. It takes a bit to get used to using the glue gun to make really crisp lines. We used to cheat and use a razor to make the lines cleaner. Not sure if that would work on something that’s textured like the scales are.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Cool, I will give it a shot. Maybe even some duct tape with hot glue to seal the edges would work. Thx
remnar

Post by remnar »

I used hot glue to add a pattern to my Tasman. The dye did bleed under the glue but the results weren't bad. Here's a link to the thread where I provided more information on the topic. Scroll to the top of the page to see the results.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... ye#p953490
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

remnar wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 pm
I used hot glue to add a pattern to my Tasman. The dye did bleed under the glue but the results weren't bad. Here's a link to the thread where I provided more information on the topic. Scroll to the top of the page to see the results.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... ye#p953490
Looks good! Could make a cool pseudo camo pattern too :)

Does anyone know what the @Mumbojumbo method might be?
-I found this post over at edc forum: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/show- ... st-1829506

Thanks
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've heard of using Rtv silicone too. Probably makes a better seal.