How I removed Manix2 scales from lanyard tube

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

How I removed Manix2 scales from lanyard tube

Post by PStone »

Tonight I was disassembling a manix2 for a project I am working on, and hit a roadblock with the lanyard tube. I simply could not remove the scales. No matter how much I wiggled and spun and tried to pry, they weren’t budging. I was ready to give up because I felt I may break the scale or bend the liner. Then I had an idea. String.

I wedged a piece of cotton string between the scale and liner and wrapped it around a few times.

Then I spun the scale around independent from the liner a few times and wrapped some more string.

It was working. I kept wrapping string and spinning the scale. Wrapping and spinning. Then the scale just popped right off with virtually no damage at all.

Worked for the other scale too.

This is by far the easiest way I have ever removed a flared lanyard tube and wanted to share with anyone else having the same difficulties I was. I can’t say for sure it will work on every model though. I’m sure it’d be different with nested liners.
Bloke

Re: How I removed Manix2 scales from lanyard tube

Post by Bloke »

Very clever! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Nice!
I tend towards a more ham fisted approach
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice. How will you get the new scale on?
- best wishes, Jazz.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Jazz wrote:Nice. How will you get the new scale on?
Good question. I thought I’d be able to just use my hands like the pm2s I’ve done before. That wasn’t happening. So I settled on a medium sized hand clamp. It has nice rubber grips that provide some padding. I also added some nylon tape to prevent any sticking.

That worked ok. I would have preferred a mounted vice. I was planning on flaring the tube some more with a taperd punch, but I really don’t think I have to. There are no gaps, everything is tight.

Time and use will tell if I attempt to flare the tube more. For now it’s good. I think I’m done.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice job. Thanks for the reply.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JohnyKwst

Post by JohnyKwst »

Will try this. Thanks.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Nice hack! Wait I only thought the spyderedged chainsaw's had pull strings? :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
PStone

Post by PStone »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:27 pm
Haha! You should try the push start on the Autonomy :D
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:07 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:27 pm
Haha! You should try the push start on the Autonomy :D
:eek: hahahahaha!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
attila

Post by attila »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:44 pm
Tonight I was disassembling a manix2 for a project I am working on, and hit a roadblock with the lanyard tube. I simply could not remove the scales. No matter how much I wiggled and spun and tried to pry, they weren’t budging. I was ready to give up because I felt I may break the scale or bend the liner. Then I had an idea. String.

I wedged a piece of cotton string between the scale and liner and wrapped it around a few times.

Then I spun the scale around independent from the liner a few times and wrapped some more string.

It was working. I kept wrapping string and spinning the scale. Wrapping and spinning. Then the scale just popped right off with virtually no damage at all.

Worked for the other scale too.

This is by far the easiest way I have ever removed a flared lanyard tube and wanted to share with anyone else having the same difficulties I was. I can’t say for sure it will work on every model though. I’m sure it’d be different with nested liners.
That's ingenious!! Well done!!

I look forward to seeing the end result of your 3-way swap project, once completed. What was it, Maxamet in dark grey G10 and bright hardware, 52100 in standard black G10 and black hardware, and a satin S30V blade in the Maxamet's FRCP?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ferider

Post by ferider »

Very smart, thanks for posting !

You know, my sister was a traffic emergency doctor for a few years. They use the same method to get rings of swollen fingers, before surgery.

Roland.
PStone

Post by PStone »

attila wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:44 pm
That's ingenious!! Well done!!

I look forward to seeing the end result of your 3-way swap project, once completed. What was it, Maxamet in dark grey G10 and bright hardware, 52100 in standard black G10 and black hardware, and a satin S30V blade in the Maxamet's FRCP?
Yes sir. That was the plan until I realized the s30v g10 isn’t skeletonized liners. I ended up swapping with my S110V manix. I’m really happy with how everything turned out.
And much thanks again @attila for the advice and links! I never would have gotten that Maxamet blade out of the handle if I didn’t read those threads. Had great pics of the internals which really helped.
attila

Post by attila »

They look great, esp the black/blurple.

I'm glad to have been able to help.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ferider

Post by ferider »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:32 pm
And much thanks again @attila for the advice and links! I never would have gotten that Maxamet blade out of the handle if I didn’t read those threads. Had great pics of the internals which really helped.
attila wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:20 pm
I'm glad to have been able to help.
I am much more impressed that you got the s110v blade back in ! How did you you do that ?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Edited to delete. I’m afraid this is an unsafe mod.
PStone

Post by PStone »

:( I discovered that under little force, this modded lw knife’s lock fails. Looking at this pic I posted you can see the problem. The cbbl is not fully engaged on the lw to the far left. And the g10 in the middle is way to far forward.

Could it be a different size ball in the g10 vs frcp because of the different backspacers? Small changes due to variances in production? I’m not sure and for now am going to not use these two. The black Blurple seems fine as only the scales were swapped. I also do not recommend this swap. :(

Edit: I think the tangs are ground slightly different
ratickle

Post by ratickle »

Just tried your string method. It worked like a charm. Thanks for posting it.
HeavyweightSound

Post by HeavyweightSound »

Thank you so much! I struggled with this for 15 minutes and then found your post. Worked in 15 seconds after I started. Brilliant!