Who’s in for a Bushcraft sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Who’s in for a Bushcraft sprint?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Full convex grind in 52100 with green & tan herringbone micarta! :eek:
Taper the tang and leave it undrilled under the scales.

Pretty please!
Woodpuppy

Re: Who’s in for a Bushcraft sprint?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Or FFG...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

See: the Proficient.

It’s probably not selling super well, so there might not be much demand for a sprint. What about 52100 do you like better than O1? They seem quite similar, both relatively simple carbon steels.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thanks for the link! That’s the right form factor and grind, but I’ll take a pass on the CF and s90v.

I have no real preference between 52100 and O1, just figured enough other people are fired up about 52100 it might make some traction. I have no real interest in the Scandi grind, convex is preferable to me.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea the Proficient definitely gets caught in a weird space, I agree with you there. It’s a great user design but with a primo price tag, and a steel choice that seems a bit odd given the form factor. Maybe that guy who was complaining about “cost cutting” would like it, but I have trouble thinking of who would actually use it frequently and how.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am
Yea the Proficient definitely gets caught in a weird space, I agree with you there. It’s a great user design but with a primo price tag, and a steel choice that seems a bit odd given the form factor. Maybe that guy who was complaining about “cost cutting” would like it, but I have trouble thinking of who would actually use it frequently and how.

Yeah, the S90V / CF combo was a weird choice indeed for this type of knife. Most blades of this style that Ive bought or considered in the past have had 3V, A2, 01, 4V, or Cruwear. 52100 seems like a good fit as well. For scales I think Micarta or G10. Not that I would nessessarily buy one. Im more into folders these days. I dont need any more fixed blades.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would go for it as long as it was offered in Spyderedge and plain edge both. Because so far our selection of a good outdoor, utility fixed blade in Spyderedge is a very short, limited selection which to me is just outright confusing. Especially being that Spyderco and their patented Spyderedge is a big factor of what put them in the forefront of the commercial knife market IMO. Because the main reason I bought my first 3 Spyders was because I wanted some high quality, premium made folders with a serrated blade. And that is what ultimately led me to make Spyderco my ultimate favorite factory made knife. And their quality borderlines on custom quality in my humble opinion.

The TEMPERANCE 1 model in SE is still one of my all time SUPER CLASSIC favorite fixed blades in my entire "User Arsenal" of knives that I use on a regular basis. And there is no reason we can't have a broader selection of Spyderedged fixed blades. Hey how about a Bushcraft fixed blade with LC200N in Spyderedge? I truly believe it would be a home run over the center field wall IMO. And sure make it in plain edge too.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be interested to see the Bushcraft in 4v.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

No 4v. My goal is a knife I can maintain with the sharpmaker and strop, not something that needs a calendar appointment to block out the time it takes to sharpen it. I’d be good with M4.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

It would be great if they could make a budget friendly puukko design bushcraft knife in 4v for the masses.

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm
No 4v. My goal is a knife I can maintain with the sharpmaker and strop, not something that needs a calendar appointment to block out the time it takes to sharpen it. I’d be good with M4.
4v is just as easy to sharpen as M4 while having better toughness. Should be no problem for a sharpmaker.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have no personal experience with 4V (or 3V for that matter) so l’m stuck going on what I can read. While I like sharp knives, I don’t particularly enjoy sharpening them. That’s as much a function of quantity as anything I suppose. I’ve started giving away kitchen knives I don’t use to reduce my “responsibility” :rolleyes:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't own any 4V but given the composition, I would have said that 4V is less wear resistant than M4. Also, I bet Spyderco's M4 is harder too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well maybe I’m in for a rude awakening with M4? I’ve only sharpened my p3 once so far, and it went so well. Wish I could try some of these steels without having to spend so much. I guess that’s what Delica sprints are for...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 pm
Well maybe I’m in for a rude awakening with M4? I’ve only sharpened my p3 once so far, and it went so well. Wish I could try some of these steels without having to spend so much. I guess that’s what Delica sprints are for...
Well, like I said, I don't own any 4V so I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I do have an Advocate in M4 and so far, I haven't had any trouble keeping it razor sharp with the Sharpmaker.
Wish I could try some of these steels without having to spend so much.
Me too. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:46 pm
I have no personal experience with 4V (or 3V for that matter) so l’m stuck going on what I can read. While I like sharp knives, I don’t particularly enjoy sharpening them. That’s as much a function of quantity as anything I suppose. I’ve started giving away kitchen knives I don’t use to reduce my “responsibility” :rolleyes:
I have zero problems sharpening my v4e fixed blade. I'd rate it as basically the same as M4 in terms of sharpening difficulty.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am
I actually have a Proficient and have used it for camp chores.

I really like s90v as a fixed blade steel--I've definitely found it tougher than s110v (it rolls where my s110v chips). Of the high end stainless, it's my first choice for a "hard use" knife (well, maybe tied with m390), into which category pretty much all my fixed blades fall.
Slash

Post by Slash »

80crv2 with micarta handle and leather wrapped kydex sheath.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Slash wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:37 pm
80crv2 with micarta handle and leather wrapped kydex sheath.
That's a nice one :D
Make that sheath a dangler and then give the knife a very high saber grind.