Caly 3 EDC perfection? Could we see a compression?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

Re: Caly 3 EDC perfection? Could we see a compression?

Post by Skidoosh »

BOOM. Just waiting for the A11 or K390 sprint run on a FRN Caly 3 or 3.5
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Hopefully it will be a screw construction, too! I get nervous about full steel liners that are pinned together. One nice thing about compression lock would that it would allow for through-through construction.

EDIT: How do you guys take care of your caly's? I just picked up a HAP40 Caly 3 that I love, but I am curious about maintenance.
Stay Golden :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote: We designed it with a 2 way wire clip.

sal
That's outstanding news Sal.
Hgwxx7 wrote: Hopefully it will be a screw construction, too! I get nervous about full steel liners that are pinned together. One nice thing about compression lock would that it would allow for through-through construction.

EDIT: How do you guys take care of your caly's? I just picked up a HAP40 Caly 3 that I love, but I am curious about maintenance.
I just try to keep mine dry. When it has to get wet, a treatment of compressed air and WD-40 has served my pinned knives for years. Then I apply a drop of lube in the pivot and one on the lockbar tang.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 am
Hopefully it will be a screw construction, too! I get nervous about full steel liners that are pinned together. One nice thing about compression lock would that it would allow for through-through construction.

With mine, I just took it apart, cleaned the blade and put a folded piece of tissue through the handle. Of course the handle doesn't fully come apart, but it's a simple disassembly with hardly any parts. Hold the back lock down when disassembling/reassembling and you're good.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

And I look forward to a LW Caly too :D
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

aquaman67 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:00 pm
The Caly 3 is my all time favorite knife. I have one I carry and a safe queen.
Mine as well and I also have one I don't carry. Just got the Brouwer and it's begging for pocket time, just might have to oblige her. Both are excellent choices for EDC. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The ergonomics are quite different but you may like the Sliverax, the blade reminds me a lot of a Caly but minus the thumb ramp (while I actually prefer). It has the elegance that a Call 3 has and a compression lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 pm
The 3.5 was a Caly 3 designed for me. I prefer a longer blade. I'm currently experimenting with a possible Caly 3.5 in a light weight with nested liners like the Endura. Bi directional texture, with another maker. We usually don't like to change makers, but if the FRN version is popular, we'll need to be able to deliver higher volume than the current maker has capacity to make.

sal

OMG SQUEEEEE
MrSuperBlue

Post by MrSuperBlue »

sal wrote:
The 3.5 was a Caly 3 designed for me. I prefer a longer blade. I'm currently experimenting with a possible Caly 3.5 in a light weight with nested liners like the Endura. Bi directional texture, with another maker. We usually don't like to change makers, but if the FRN version is popular, we'll need to be able to deliver higher volume than the current maker has capacity to make.

sal
Muaic to my ears. The caly 3.5 is one of my top 3 spyderco models. Fits the hand like a glove and provides a lot of edge in a small package. I'm definitely in for a lightweight version.

I was wondering if a hap40 green g10 caly 3.5 will be produced? Seems fitting lol
How about a Caly 3.5 damascus?!

So what's the next Super Blue model coming? ;)
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

I recently got a Caly3 in Hap40, and its in my pocket right now. After using a friends Delica I can't see how the Delica is more popular? The Caly seems to have much better ergonomics, and in a smaller package, with a very nice blade size.

So yes, if you want to make a FRN Caly 3.5 I'd be quite excited to see that! (I'd like something in carbon steel ideally, but S30V would work).
John E

Post by John E »

Interesting timing for this thread for me. I have had a VG10 spyderedge Caly 3 for a long time, but have just recently been carrying it a lot, for harvesting vegetables and flowers, and just in general liking the knife a lot. The ergonomics are really wonderful, and the serrations make it a really powerful cutter for vines and such.

I also have a plain edge super blue bought in Golden, but for now the older one is filling the need.

John
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:

sal
Sal, could this mean that the g10/cf version of the Caly would go to the new maker as well?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

I don't think so.

sal
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

This will likely be my new EDC for a while.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Not a fan of choils, BUT my Caly 3 is among my favorite Spydercos. An FRN version would be very interesting.
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

FRN 3.5 sounds awesome.
Would love to see a caly 3.5 sprint in green g10 with hap40 . Sal, what are the chances?
I will buy at least 2.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think I'd have to have one. Linerless would be fine too.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I really hope this sees the light of day. I would love an frn Caly 3.5
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'd hate to see the zdp/cf disappear though
Makes me feel better about the hard to get Calypso jr
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Jmotley wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm
I’d like to add another vote to PLEASE keep the wire clip on an FRN version. Also I think the texturing used on the ukpk fits the Caly model better than the bi-directional used on the seki models. Either way, can’t wait to have some more Caly 3.5 options. Thank you Sal!!
+1. Figured a thread this great deserved a bump. Great idea, too, motley!