More Reverse-S blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

More Reverse-S blades?

Post by carrot »

The reverse-s blades as seen on the Cricket, Matriarch, and Civillian, are a surprisingly versatile cutting edge, providing an excellent slicing angle for nearly any material with the added aggression ala hawkbill. Zip ties, cordage, and webbing are easily made short work of.

I feel that if there is a market for hawkbills there certainly must be a market for hard working reverse-s blades outside of the self-defense realm. A Dragonfly, Meadowlark, or even Para3 / PM2 with such a blade pattern would be a great worker.
Hgwxx7

Re: More Reverse-S blades?

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Here here! Especially in FFG!
Stay Golden :spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Meerkat reverse S is pretty nice.

I really like reverse S for some specific use cases. I started a design for a reverse S folder, need to get back to that.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Team Dodo Resurrection
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

I experimented and carried only a cricket for almost a year. That little thing did everything I asked of it and I really never noticed I was carrying it. Love that knife.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Don't forget that BBS still has the non serrated lil matriarch. I keep meaning to pick it up but the 15 dollar shipping hurts too much.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
carrot

Post by carrot »

Nice marmot wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 am
I experimented and carried only a cricket for almost a year. That little thing did everything I asked of it and I really never noticed I was carrying it. Love that knife.
I used to have a Cricket before I gifted it to a friend.

Incredibly capable little knife; I've thought about re-buying one on multiple occasions for sure!

On the other hand, difficult for me to decide whether SE or PE is better on this kind of blade.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’m in for a reverse s design. I prefer slimmer blade profiles like the lil Matriarch to the more stubby ones like the cricket.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Would LOVE a reverse S DFly, Lil Matriarch, or DODO:D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 pm
Lil matriarch is already reverse S?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This REVERSE S thread really has me thinking in about 3 different directions. First of all it was only yesterday on a Civilian thread that I said what I've said before at least 3 times. If they would at least take a Matriarch model and beef it up so to speak I think it would re-define the entire Reverse S blade sector. On that thread I suggested ( as I had several other times in the past 3 years) that they take a Matriarch model and inject some steroids into the design. First off you could make the blade and especially the tip part significantly thicker so you could use one for regular EDC chores without fear of snapping off the tip. Which is the biggest thing that Spyderco has warned people about over the years with the Civilian and Matriarch models.

I truly believe if they would beef up the traditional Matriarch model along with the Lil Matriarch with thicker, more stable blades. It would give you the best of both worlds. You would have a rigid EDC blade and a really beefed up Self Defense blade as well.

Also I've cried and shouted from the Roof Tops that the Dodo model in a bigger/larger scale would be a huge seller. Take the Dodo model and make the blade wider and somewhat longer and also offer it in Spyderedge again :rolleyes: Please!!?? I truly believe that a bigger, beefier Dodo would be a hard user's dream knife. It would truly re-define the Reverse S Spyderco blades completely IMO.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:51 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Yes it is, Dodo too. I just wanted Sprints :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm
zhyla wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
I can't argue with this logic. The lil matriarch and the big brother matriarch are the ideal blade lengths for my uses when reverse S is the subject at hand. I carry both on a regular basis as a companion to my PE blades. A sprint of either would be a must buy.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
zhyla wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 pm
Team Dodo Resurrection
Did someone say Dodo?!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wanna throw out, you can probably find a Myrtle for a good price. It is a surprisingly good knife. Maybe the blade stock is thick but it is a def good
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm
Wanna throw out, you can probably find a Myrtle for a good price. It is a surprisingly good knife. Maybe the blade stock is thick but it is a def good
I have always liked how Spyderco designs value form over function and I have always been willing to carry a knife that worked well even if it was a bit funky looking. The Myrtle was one though that was just a bit too wonky looking even for me. It has a gorgeous handle design, but man, that blade. It's not that I have an issue with odd. The Dodo blade is odd and I loved it from first sight. Its just that the Myrtle blade looks out of proportion. Visually, the curves and angles don't flow as part of a coherent total...at least to my eye. That said, I'm kind of sad and more than a little ashamed that I never got past that idea and gave the design a chance. If I get past the visual speed bumps and imagine how the knife would actually perform, then the knife starts to make more sense. I have a feeling if I owned and used one then I would find it quite functional and the design would immediately start to become more visually pleasing due to its functionality. It might be one of those blades that just doesn't make sense until you use it...and those types have a habit of becoming my favorites. Maybe I'll pick up a used one some day and give it a go...i think the design deserves a chance.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:58 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm
I have always liked how Spyderco designs value form over function and I have always been willing to carry a knife that worked well even if it was a bit funky looking. The Myrtle was one though that was just a bit too wonky looking even for me. It has a gorgeous handle design, but man, that blade. It's not that I have an issue with odd. The Dodo blade is odd and I loved it from first sight. Its just that the Myrtle blade looks out of proportion. Visually, the curves and angles don't flow as part of a coherent total...at least to my eye. That said, I'm kind of sad and more than a little ashamed that I never got past that idea and gave the design a chance. If I get past the visual speed bumps and imagine how the knife would actually perform, then the knife starts to make more sense. I have a feeling if I owned and used one then I would find it quite functional and the design would immediately start to become more visually pleasing due to its functionality. It might be one of those blades that just doesn't make sense until you use it...and those types have a habit of becoming my favorites. Maybe I'll pick up a used one some day and give it a go...i think the design deserves a chance.
Surf, it definitely does. I don't think it is the best at anything but there's something about it that if I carry it and don't think about it's eccentricities, I'm always very satisfied with it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As much as I would love to see the Dodo return in SE & PE both>> I would also like to see a larger scale version of the Dodo with a longer/wider blade with a modified handle to accommodate the increased size.

I feel just about every Reverse S blade that Spyderco ever made could be made into an EDC folder with minor modifications. Just a thicker tip on the Matriarch model for instance would make it a very good utility blade ( especially in SE).

Even the lowly CRICKET model has a lot more uses than most blades in it's size range IMO.
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 pm
Team Dodo Resurrection
yes please!
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I'd go for a compression lock Dodo. (Stop lock, maybe?) Has one from the black G10 run and wound up selling it; loved the blade but too many other models were more my style.