why has Spyderco not made an Auto Knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

why has Spyderco not made an Auto Knife.

Post by snapshot2017 »

When i was selling knives the auto knives were a hot item, not implying they are the best all around useful knife but they do have some advantages .
Woodpuppy

Re: why has Spyderco not made an Auto Knife.

Post by Woodpuppy »

They have/do. But as you know, the sale of auto knives across state lines is infringed upon by the federal government, and various states also infringe/prohibit sales/possession of them. If you live in an auto friendly state and the knives are manufactured in the same state, the feds can go soak their heads and you’re gtg. Otherwise it probably sets a manufacturer up for major headaches. IIRC Japan has anti auto laws, don’t know if they can be manufactured for export. No idea about China, they seem to be able to do anything if it’s for export/profit because so much of their manufacturing is state owned. No idea about Taiwan. And Colorado may or may not be friendly depending on where you are. Denver is :(
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They have.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

There is even a subforum here for restricted models, which covers autos and butterfly knives Spyderco makes/made.

viewforum.php?f=7&sid=3e58cae68047bb8f0ba32baf5cd98d6d
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 pm
They have/do. But as you know, the sale of auto knives across state lines is infringed upon by the federal government, and various states also infringe/prohibit sales/possession of them. If you live in an auto friendly state and the knives are manufactured in the same state, the feds can go soak their heads and you’re gtg. Otherwise it probably sets a manufacturer up for major headaches. IIRC Japan has anti auto laws, don’t know if they can be manufactured for export. No idea about China, they seem to be able to do anything if it’s for export/profit because so much of their manufacturing is state owned. No idea about Taiwan. And Colorado may or may not be friendly depending on where you are. Denver is :(
Question: If it's legally hairy to ship autos across state lines then how do companies like Blade HQ sell Microtechs openly on their website?
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Question: If it's legally hairy to ship autos across state lines then how do companies like Blade HQ sell Microtechs openly on their website?

I'm also curious about that because they mailed me one no questions asked.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Dumbest laws ever that I'm pretty sure will never get fully repealed....
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 pm
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:

The answer is simple. When you check out of the website, you are asked to accept the terms and conditions of which you basically are assuming the risk and attesting that you fall into one of the owner categories that can legally be shipped to. With that attestation, the legal liability shifts to you the buyer.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Accutronman wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:42 pm
Evil D wrote:
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:

The answer is simple. When you check out of the website, you are asked to accept the terms and conditions of which you basically are assuming the risk and attesting that you fall into one of the owner categories that can legally be shipped to. With that attestation, the legal liability shifts to you the buyer.
I wonder how often an auto gets caught mid-shipment and what repercussions the buyer has to deal with... It would really be unfortunate to spend $600 on a auto to have it confiscated and looking at federal charges. Eek
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Whether or not that’s actually enough to exculpate them is another story. Hiding behind a terms and conditions document that is broad and possible not to read might not be enough.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 pm
Dumbest laws ever that I'm pretty sure will never get fully repealed....
Pretty much. Its a farce. Dumb laws still on the books because some politicians got scared and had a kneejerk reaction to something they know nothing about. I can open any knife with a flipper or spyder hole just as fast as any auto.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Accutronman wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:42 pm
Evil D wrote:
Brown_Recluse wrote:

I wonder how often an auto gets caught mid-shipment and what repercussions the buyer has to deal with... It would really be unfortunate to spend $600 on a auto to have it confiscated and looking at federal charges. Eek
One way to cut back on liability if you’re concerned is to have the vendor ship the knife any way other than USPS. Since the federal switchblade act of 1958 which governs these knives was passed prior to fedex and UPS, you get around half the Act by shipping non-postal service
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Not quite sure so don't quote me on this but I think you can own but not carry any automatic opening knife in Illinois. If you have a CCW for handgun in Illinois, you can carry an automatic knife.

Don't ask me why a person's life is more valuable with a CCW, but there you go.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’m like 99.999% sure you only need an active FOID card here in Illinois. Not the CCW permit. But Chicago still doesn’t allow any autos to be carried by anyone.

Edited to remove quote. Also adding link because it also addresses the sale/exchange of autos.

https://kniferights.org/legislative-upd ... mediately/
Last edited by PStone on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

The Sporting Goods store i worked at had been selling Auto Knives, to law enforcement only before our state made them legal.
After the law was changed and they were legal in our state i sold a lot of Microtech autos to many buyers.
Attachments
Reduced Size Microtech 4.jpg
Reduced Size Microtech 4.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Reduced Size Microtech 3.jpg
Reduced Size Microtech 3.jpg (15.53 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Reduced size Microtech 2.jpg
Reduced size Microtech 2.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
Reduced Size Microtech 1.jpg
Reduced Size Microtech 1.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Typical laws... the only people these laws stop or hurt are those who are uninclined to hurt people. The violent criminal will never obey or be deterred, and knife and gun violations are quickly plead down/out, the net result being these laws will never do what they told us they would; they merely add to the power of the fed gov, an entity with explicitly limited powers. We’ve been asleep at the wheel, and as a people we have traded temporary security for freedom. Shame on us.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think many online retailers can circumvent, the state line rule by placing a disclaimer on their site about the customer being liable for checking local laws pertaining to restricted items.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

If Spyderco would make a auto knife and get into a movie as Microtech did with the John Wick movies, after his movies were out i found a picture of a three John Wick Microtech set that was the only one Microtech made, i asked Microtech if they were going to make another their answer was no ,they made only one for a special customer.

Spyderco would have a real in demand winner to sell.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:50 pm
If Spyderco would make a auto knife and get into a movie as Microtech did with the John Wick movies, after his movies were out i found a picture of a three John Wick Microtech set that was the only one Microtech made, i asked Microtech if they were going to make another their answer was no ,they made only one for a special customer.

I'm pretty sure I have had an Autonomy 2 on pre order for many moons. If that button is just for aesthetics, I'm going to be bummed out. :rolleyes:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Are you saying there's high demand for a knife that only 1 exists? I hope it's selling for a lot of money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David