Forester Sprint run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
supracor

Forester Sprint run

Post by supracor »

In H1 and with micarta handles :rolleyes:

Not a good idea?
supracor

Re: Forester Sprint run

Post by supracor »

But please no skeletonized handle :(
vivi

Post by vivi »

Only if the edge angle is half what the original one was run at. I want it to bite into wood when I chop not bounce off.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:26 pm
Only if the edge angle is half what the original one was run at. I want it to bite into wood when I chop not bounce off.

I remember an old thread about the Rock Salt that ended with rippled edges from chopping coconuts. That was with H1. I wonder if that's why it isn't thinner?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd like to see a 4 inch or smaller day hiker. Always sad I missed the Hossom fixed blades....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Love the idea of a Hossom Forester sprint
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'd be more into something a little smaller, like the Forager or Woodlander. But those knives are basically choppers; go with 4v or something like that.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Imagine a Spyderco folding Hossom...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wanimator wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 pm
Imagine a Spyderco folding Hossom...
I'd be down for this, but I feel like the fixed blade world tolerates recurves a lot more than the folding world. Still, with the Sharpmaker, it's all good :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm
Vivi wrote:

I remember an old thread about the Rock Salt that ended with rippled edges from chopping coconuts. That was with H1. I wonder if that's why it isn't thinner?
The forester (and the other Hossoms) was convex and very thick behind the edge (think thicker than an axe). Very well made knives, but they all required a regrind to function well. Traded mine off and haven't missed them to be honest. They were beautiful and cool, but not very functional imho.
vivi

Post by vivi »

NoFair wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:22 am
Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

The forester (and the other Hossoms) was convex and very thick behind the edge (think thicker than an axe). Very well made knives, but they all required a regrind to function well. Traded mine off and haven't missed them to be honest. They were beautiful and cool, but not very functional imho.
Same experience I had.

My Forester was gorgeous, extremely well made, came with a great sheath, gorgeous micarta scales and had great ergonomics. The knife was lighter in the hand than I expected and felt very lively and easy to use.

Except, as you said, the edge was thicker than on my two handed axe with a factory edge.

At the time I had just gotten my Scrapyard Dogfather. I compared the two side by side. The Forester bounced off wood and a scale came loose after ten to fifteen minutes of chopping. The Dogfather bit into wood and had nothing to come loose.

Still have the Scrapyard, didn't want to put in the work on the benchstones turning a 10" recurve into a knife so traded the Forester.

I adore the design. Shame about the edge.

I'd love to see it brought back in a tough carbon steel with a thinner edge. It would make a lot more sense using such a steel in a design like this opposed to say, a Para 3.
:unicorn
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Always loved the looks of these. I never handled one but they did look like they’d be awesome in hand. Suck to hear the grind wasn’t up to par, I would love a rerun with a thinner grind. Carbon steel, being a fixed blade, sounds like a great choice to me. 3V, Cruwear, M4?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I bent the edge on my rock salt twisting out of a piece of wood. I'd take a forester in 3v like the man who designed it originally made it. H1 is a good steel but not for a chopper in my opinion. Also agree a thinner edge would be nice.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Yes. That was my Rock Salt and my coconut. H1 should definitely not be used in a chopper. I was never able to straighten it back out.