Pivot Material

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Pivot Material

Post by ferider »

Obviously, next to the edge, the most stressed part on a folder is the Pivot.

Do Spydercos with different blades have different Pivots ? For example, a Manix 2 with S110V has the same or a different Pivot than one with S30V ?

And what's your take on the very pretty anodized Ti Pivots that so many folders have ? (new and aftermarket)

Thanks,

Roland.
The Deacon

Re: Pivot Material

Post by The Deacon »

Only someone from Spyderco could say for sure. However, my guess (and it's strictly a guess) is that either all the pivots on Spyderco knives made in a given factory are made of the same steel or, at the very least, all pivots of a given style from a given factory use the same steel.

Thought one of the reasons for using titanium for lockbars is that it "sticks" to steel. Seems that would be counter productive for a pivot. So I have to wonder if the anodized ti pivots you mention are actually titanium, or are they three pieces - a steel pivot and two anodized ti screws?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Hard to imagine a better material for a pivot than steel. Strong, hard, wears well.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would guess they're hardened stainless steel. I don't think the pivot would wear the same as a lockbar because it's a different kind of friction. I have to agree with deacon the pivot screws are ti not the actual pivot. I think Ti is better suited for barrel spacers and things like that. Not really a bearing surface like hardened stainless bushings.
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

Hard to say, I'm no knife authority, but I learned long ago when I was young from our shop machinist (practically a genius when it came to metals) that a steel shaft rotating within a bronze bushing will show less wear of BOTH metals over the long run compared to steel against steel. That's been proven true at pivot points in dozer/loader rams and other equipment. A little off the beaten Spyderco knife path, but same theory only bigger pivot points. :)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Pretty sure pivots are steel. The washers in many knives are bronze. Screws and standoff’s are usually steel, though spacers, or standoff’s can be titanium. I think the pivots are generally made of stainless steels from less expensive and easier to machine materials. The use of high end steel being reserved for blades. This makes the knife cheaper to manufacture. It would add significant time and cost to manufacture the pivots from exotic and harder to machine steels.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
supracor

Post by supracor »

I want Maxamet scales and S110V pivot...i don't want rust inside of it :D