Mantra 3 Release?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harkwit

Mantra 3 Release?

Post by Harkwit »

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked or discussed already, but do we have an ETA on the release of the Mantra 3? Itching for that compression lock flipper! :)
M4Life

Re: Mantra 3 Release?

Post by M4Life »

Harkwit wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 am
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked or discussed already, but do we have an ETA on the release of the Mantra 3? Itching for that compression lock flipper! :)
Same here thought about getting the sliverax or one of the other previous comp lock flippers but I hear they all had some problems with the comp lock pinching your finger when deploying the blade with the flipper, and the flipper tab smacking into your finger when closing up the knife. So I’m hoping Spyderco addressed those issues and if they did and the flipping action is even halfway decent I think the mantra 3 is going to find its way into my pocket.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Ric

Post by Ric »

https://youtu.be/tkm9csdbaaE

I gotmy Sliverax flipper tab ground down a bit. Now it does not touch my finger.
Mantra 3 seems worse in my eyes...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

M4Life wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:09 am
Same here thought about getting the sliverax or one of the other previous comp lock flippers but I hear they all had some problems with the comp lock pinching your finger when deploying the blade with the flipper, and the flipper tab smacking into your finger when closing up the knife. So I’m hoping Spyderco addressed those issues and if they did and the flipping action is even halfway decent I think the mantra 3 is going to find its way into my pocket.
Aside from the Sliverax, what other comp lock flippers has Spyderco produced?

I know we all have different experiences (different size hands, etc) but I haven't really had any of these issues with the Sliverax. I did have a little bit of pinching at first using the push button method. Then it seemed to go away after awhile. Not sure what changed. Maybe the end of my index finger got a little tougher or my tolerance for pain increased. :) This is a non-issue for me when using the light switch method.

The flipper tab hitting my finger when closing the knife is also a non-issue for me. I have to move my finger as forward as possible on the lock bar to create this issue. This feels unnatural to me. When I have my finger in the middle or toward the rear of the lock bar the flipper tab swings right past my finger. I was concerned about this before I bought the knife. Now that I've had one for awhile I don't even think about it.

Looking at the Mantra 3, I think it'll be less of an issue. Of course I won't know for sure until I get one in hand.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I plan on giving this version a try. I have not yet tried a spyderco flipper with the cqi changes. I had a Mantra previously and didn't care for it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am
M4Life wrote:
The Hanan was a compression lock flipper and I think there might be one more I'm forgetting
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Just my opinion, but when I use a Para2 I need to release the lock bar early when swinging the blade shut to prevent the blade from bouncing back open again. I think if you just release the lock bar early on any compression lock flipper then you can avoid having the flipper tab hit your finger.

Here's a video that shows what I mean:
https://youtu.be/zjnJNNE4F6U

Re: the original topic, I have a Mantra 2 and quite like it. I am really looking forward to trying out the Delica-but-not-a-Delica design with a functional opening hole, flipper, and compression lock. I really appreciate Eric's designs; this should be another good one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

M4Life wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:53 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am
M4Life wrote:
The Hanan was a compression lock flipper and I think there might be one more I'm forgetting
Oh yeah...I forgot about the Hanan. That's it for current comp lock flippers until the 4 new models that were introduced in the Mid-year catalog come out.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I don't have these problems with my Sliverax. I wish they would make a mantra 4 with the smaller opening hole. I have a Mantra 1 so I'd like to mix it up
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m kind of concerned about the grind on the Mantra 3. Spyderco sent a sample to Nick Shabazz for review. I’m assuming anything sent to him from Spyderco has at least had a once over for any obvious manufacturing flaws. Yet he was sent this..

There’s some sort of accidental/horrible intentional recurve happening. It was out there possible to stop the blade from coming into contact with the users finger when manipulating the compression lock.

If you want to see it in action here is the video.

https://youtu.be/zipHM_RceE0
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Hmm, that grind is interesting. It's strange looking for sure, I wonder if that's just his sample or how they'll be. Seems like it curves back out into the flipper tab. Maybe it's to clear the compression lock, but I don't know if the recurve was necessary. But I guess this means it'll be dropping soon
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I thought the exact same thing after watching Nicks video. If they all have that horrible recurve to keep the edge out of the way for the compression lock, the Mantra 3 just became a giant no go. It just looks bad in my opinion.
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's definitely different than the Mantra 1. I have a pre-order in for one of these. I've been thinking about cancelling simply to wait to hear what others think. Not sure the grind is a deal breaker for me but I like my original Mantra a lot and I already have compression lock flipper. So now I'm not sure how much I really "need" this one. I figure I'll use a future eBay discount if I decide I want one later on.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Had the sma reaction when I saw the Nick Shabazz video, you don't see the recurve in any of the promotional pictures or any blade show prewiews. I really hope this is just a fluke and not how all the production pieces will look. I guess we will find out in the near future.