Serrated Native 5 question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Serrated Native 5 question

Post by Jazz »

Does anyone have one of these? I’d like to know if it’s a good slicer compared to other serrated Spydies, since it’s FFG. Strongly considering one, so any gratuitous pics for enabling wouldn’t hurt. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
zhyla

Re: Serrated Native 5 question

Post by zhyla »

I had one for a few months. I did a whole thread on it. Overall I wasn’t a fan.

As far as sliciness... I think the SE Stretch that I have outperforms in this area. The Native is rather thick in my opinion. If you want slicy get something thinner. If there were an SE Chaparral it would be amazing.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Jazz and anyone else: Would you like a Native Salt blade on a fixed handle? Does that design appeal to you, or you prefer the folder?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I got a good deal on one and its in the mail. Will be here Monday. I got it to compare against the wharncliffe delica in se.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:50 pm
I got a good deal on one and its in the mail. Will be here Monday. I got it to compare against the wharncliffe delica in se.

Please share it here. I know the wharnie SE is a great slicer, so your comparison will help a lot.

I’m thinking it’ll cut way better than the Salt 2’s saber hollow grind.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm
Jazz and anyone else: Would you like a Native Salt blade on a fixed handle? Does that design appeal to you, or you prefer the folder?

Myself, I’m way more into pocket knives, but that would be interesting.
- best wishes, Jazz.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I have one. It find it not quite as slicey as the Delica wharncliffe, but much better than the Salt1 and Pacific Salt in that department. It certainly zips through cardboard boxes just fine. I recommend getting one.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

My first Spydie was a serrated Native 5 blackout lightweight. I love it. Characteristic Native built-like-a-tank feel, with a flat-ground blade, and the serrations are great for things like sawing through large blocks of rubber and dried glue, or biting apart duct tape, or anything else that serrations are good at. My hollow-ground serrated Rescues are not knives that I've attempted doing those things with, but I've used them all on cardboard, and the Native is by far the slicier one there. I wouldn't even try sawing apart blocks of rubber with the hollow-ground ones when I've got my perfectly good flat-ground Native to do it with.

The Native won't compare to the Delica in terms of sliciness, but it'll beat out just about any of Spyderco's other full-serrated blades because of the lovely flat grind. The serrated Paramilitary or Stretch might be more slicy, but compared to the saber- or hollow-ground ones the Native will be miles better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

All I can say is that I learned about a Serrated NATIVE model about 8 years ago doing a "Job Out of ****". I had even resigned myself to believe that the knife was going to be trash after I got the job done. But much to my most pleasant surprise it not only survived the job but I still keep it handy for any other nasty cutting job that I don't want to use one of my premium blades on.

I won't bore any of you with the story because I've talked about it at least 3 times in the past. But not enough can be said about a Spyderedged NATIVE model in SE. I would even get a new NATIVE model in SE if they would make on in XHP steel >> or maybe another premium, high end blade steel.

LONG LIVE THE Spyderedged NATIVE!!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, guys. embry386, I'm sure it was partly your pics that got me going here.
- best wishes, Jazz.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 pm
I’m thinking it’ll cut way better than the Salt 2’s saber hollow grind.
Oh, so I have a previous gen Native FRN serrated with the old hollow grind. I thought the 5 would be a definite improvement since it’s flat ground. I didn’t notice a difference. And to be honest I think I like the old style handle better.
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

It's not ffg but if you can find a 440v Native serrated I would grab it because I love using mine when I do.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SpyderCuse wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 pm
It's not ffg but if you can find a 440v Native serrated I would grab it because I love using mine when I do.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum. Is the steel that good?
- best wishes, Jazz.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:25 am
Thanks, guys. embry386, I'm sure it was partly your pics that got me going here.
Wow, really? That's pretty cool :D

If you want any more photos of it, or photos at a specific angle or showing a specific aspect of the knife, or photos of it in comparison to some of my other knives, let me know.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

embry386 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 am
Wow, really? That's pretty cool :D

If you want any more photos of it, or photos at a specific angle or showing a specific aspect of the knife, or photos of it in comparison to some of my other knives, let me know.

Thanks. I was going to ask, but I saw your calendar contest test pics thread. I just ordered the knife. :D
- best wishes, Jazz.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Mine came in. It's a blacked out native 5 lw serrated in s35vn. I love the natove platform. Went ahead and tried it on cardboard and it isn't a super spicier like the delica se wharnie. But for rough tasks it should be great.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:16 pm
Mine came in. It's a blacked out native 5 lw serrated in s35vn. I love the natove platform. Went ahead and tried it on cardboard and it isn't a super spicier like the delica se wharnie. But for rough tasks it should be great.

Thanks for the comparison. Do you have a picture? :) I eagerly await mine. The Native’s not my favourite, nor are black blades, but this one looks so good with shiny teeth and all black.
- best wishes, Jazz.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:37 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks for the comparison. Do you have a picture? :) I eagerly await mine. The Native’s not my favourite, nor are black blades, but this one looks so good with shiny teeth and all black.
The native g10 is one of my favorite for looks alone. I don't find it to be the best user for performance. It works fine and is a great small tanky knife. The black with serrations looks great. I'm all about edc pairs and the serrated native will pair well with something slicier like a delica or Chaparral. Just like I've been pairing my s90v native lw with my se delica wharnie.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Came in today. Looks great. Haven’t used it yet.

- best wishes, Jazz.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Let me know what you think. I prefer your delica in serrated still. I do feel cool pulling this thing out. Those shiny teeth against the dlc look mean.