Poll: DLC or Uncoated?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you prefer DLC or uncoated

DLC
22%
Uncoated
78%

Total votes: 72

steelcity16

Poll: DLC or Uncoated?

Post by steelcity16 »

Pretty simple poll. Just curious how many people prefer DLC vs. uncoated. I have a pretty even mixture of DLC and uncoated blades, but I would take the DLC pretty much every time these days. I am excited to see the St Nick's exclusives are DLC. It looks great with the Red. I'm pretty excited for the Cutlery Shoppe DLC XHP Para 3 as well. And the DLC S90V Native LW is one of my favorite knives.

I'm not sure how many of each they got, but the Cutlery Shoppe DLC S90V Native LW is almost sold out, where there are over 100 of the uncoated ones left (assuming their online inventory is accurate). Perhaps this is an indication that DLC is more popular than most people think?

What are your thoughts on DLC vs uncoated?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Re: Poll: DLC or Uncoated?

Post by vivi »

I prefer DLC all of the time, except for rust PROOF steels like H1.

It makes a massive difference in terms of corrosion resistance, letting blades I'd rust in a day go years without showing corrosion. Complete game changer for non-H1 blades.

In fact I'd take DLC liners and hardware too if I had the option.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I dislike coated blades. I have one coated Spyderco and it is the USN PE Ladyhawk. I wanted a plain edge Ladyhawk and had no other choice.

I have purchased many carbon steel fixed blades by other makers and they are almost always coated and I always immediately remove the coating.

A coating is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only blades I think look as good, or even better, with a coated blade are double edged daggers.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

In an ideal world, I'd prefer uncoated. But since DLC would open up so many more options for users concerned about corrosion resistance, I voted DLC. I would like to see more DLC options, most notably Maxamet.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A few years ago I would have been all in he DLC camp but once I started modding my knives I realized I'd screw up the DLC so now I tend to avoid it. I did go with the blacked out Autonomy though but I still have the urge to tweak the blade shape.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I prefer uncoated. I like to see the steel and don't mind some patina, gives the knife some character. But i don't have rust issues with knives over here. For me DLC is more about looks than function. I really like the Orange from Cutlery Shoppe with black DLC for their looks. But with most other scale colors i don't like the black DLC.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I generally prefer uncoated blades and that's what I voted for. I now have a few knives with coated blades and I'm actually quite happy with them. I wouldn't want all my knives to have coated blades but I think it's a nice change of pace. For me variety is a good thing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
attila

Post by attila »

I don't like DLC sometimes because the coating increases the friction between blade and material.

For example, cutting an apple was strangely difficult with my example of a DLC Manix. It felt like cutting through styrofoam, where it grabs the blade, but here the DLC grabs the meat of the apple.

I haven't sworn off DLC, I just don't want it on most of my blades.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
supracor

Post by supracor »

It depends on what DLC.

I hate the opaque black thing that some people apply on knives and that scratch after two minutes, but i love the TiN or the DLC that Rockstead use, practically scratch proof and mirror polished.
Hitachi have some supercoatings, and i hope that we can see them not only on +$2000 customs.

Katsumi Kitano apply the Tribec© on all his Hap72 blades, and the result is amazing: it has an emerald green colour, it's a mirror, and at the same time it has ~7000 HV.

7000 HV!!!!!!! natural diamond has 10000 HV and Rockstead DLC (the best on the market in my opinion) has 1800 HV, for reference.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't have much of a preference....but I lean 51% to 49% in favor of uncoated. I collect both coated and uncoated blades.
Last edited by Naperville on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I do not like DLC knife blades. I’ve not had corrosion on any of my knives and even if that happens, I will take care of it. For me, DLC is more of a fashion statement. Perhaps it does retard corrosion but I have heard only anecdotal claims.

I like to see the steel itself and how it takes on its wear patterns over time.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:42 pm

I like to see the steel itself and how it takes on its wear patterns over time.

Its funny because I really like the looks of a well worn DLC blade. Uncoated is definitely not a deal breaker for me by any means, but whenever there is a choice of DLC or uncoated Im likely going to go with the DLC.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Didn't vote because I like both. Just depends on the purpose of the knife, steel type and handle materials.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I quite enjoy DLC, but voted Uncoated beacause I prefer it as the default. I want both available if possible, but it sucks when a knife is only available as DLC. ZT0804 is a great example.
juggler

Post by juggler »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm
the Cutlery Shoppe DLC S90V Native LW is almost sold out, where there are over 100 of the uncoated ones left (assuming their online inventory is accurate). Perhaps this is an indication that DLC is more popular than most people think?
Or is it just because they knew DLC isn't as popular as uncoated... and they didn't order as many of them?

I don't really dislike DLC but given the choice I will almost always choose uncoated.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer dlc coated, but i would be equally happy with some stone and/or acid washing. i like steel that doesn’t show marks easily and that won’t rust on me as easy. i live in a tropical area and can use all the help i can get in rust resistance. also, it looks cooler. i’ve never felt the resistance everyone else notices when cutting with a dlc coated blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am definitely for uncoated blades. I understand why some would pick coated blades for certain niche applications. But I prefer satin and polished uncoated finishes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

juggler wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm
the Cutlery Shoppe DLC S90V Native LW is almost sold out, where there are over 100 of the uncoated ones left (assuming their online inventory is accurate). Perhaps this is an indication that DLC is more popular than most people think?
Or is it just because they knew DLC isn't as popular as uncoated... and they didn't order as many of them?

I don't really dislike DLC but given the choice I will almost always choose uncoated.
The inventory is not accurate. I have been watching the satin one like a hawk. It has been slowly dropping and just a couple of days ago it said 17 of the satin in stock.

Also, this is not the best example. There have been a boatload of satin S90V Natives. The DLC is at least something new. Cutlery Shoppe should have done XHP. I would have been a buyer already. I already have two satin S90V Natives. The only reason I keep stalking it is the orange handle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am also glad you made this thread for another reason: To sal and anyone here: Are there any known durable coating materials that can be transparently coated to adhere to the blade, so we get the best of both: A durable blade coating AND the ability to see the satin metal beneath, or, not at this point?