Spyderco Users: Who wants VG1 stainless blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Users: Who wants VG1 stainless blades?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Based on some of what I have read regarding corrosion resistance and durability, who wants more blades with VG1 stainless steel to be seen by Spyderco?
ThePeacent

Re: Spyderco Users: Who wants VG1 stainless blades?

Post by ThePeacent »

I only have VG1 blades from Cold Steel (6 of them) and I am happy with it. It responds to sharpening similarly to AUS8, and unlike CS folders with that steel, I've never had a VG1 folder rust, pit, spot or discolor due to corrosion and rust. :cool:

I like it, and in my (limited) experience VG1 was as close as it got to rust-proof steel, before I had my first H1 knives :o

supracor

Post by supracor »

I'd accept them willingly
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey if you like the VG-1 blades then all I can say is "more power to you". However I've heard that Spyderco is already taking a serious look at newer/better steels to even eventually take the place of VG-10 that we've had so much success with. And I've personally been a VG-10 fan for quite a while now and still have a lot of Spyderco VG-10 models and will probably keep them for a while.

This is one of the reasons I haven't even really considered anything with CTS-BD1 is because I've been told it's liking taking a step backward in a sense. Oh I know a lot of guys like steel that is a bit easier to sharpen and I understand that. But I guess I'm kind of a "weird duck" in a way because I actually love the challenge of sharpening steels that are not really easy to sharpen and also love the performance of many of those steels>> especially M390 and S110V and XHP. Those are 3 of my current favorites but I plan on even going up the ladder from there.

Now if I want a blade steel like with kitchen knives for instance or just knives I do a lot of repetitive work with then I've already got several VG-10, MBS-26, AUS-8, ATS-55 ect, ect,. blades to work with already. I've passed up two trades recently where someone wanted to trade a couple of the older AUS-6 Spyderco models and again I just don't care to go backward. I've already got several knives with older and easier to sharpen steels already. No I want to explore the world of steels that cause curse words to come out of my mouth when I sharpen them. :D Hey I learn a lot about sharpening by taking on the newer/better, meaner blade steels. Which is why I continue to place Spyderco as my top brand..
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:40 am
Based on some of what I have read regarding corrosion resistance and durability, who wants more blades with VG1 stainless steel to be seen by Spyderco?
why?
jd had a good if lengthy 😀 reply but spyderco already uses great steels with the gamut of attributes
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have not tried VG1 yet but I expect to like it.

I'm a really big fan of steels like BD1 and VG10 and I would buy fewer Spydercos if they stopped offering these sorts of steels. I can put a shaving sharp edge on any steel Spyderco has sold me, but I enjoy sharpening VG10, BD1 and similar steels more than the extreme edge holding kinds. Just like I'd rather sharpen a 1095 knife than S30V. Neither is tough to sharpen for me, but the former is faster and easier.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

VG-10 does everything VG-1 does, but does it better. It's just more expensive.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Sal's statement mirrors what I've heard.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Maybe it's the way Spyderco heat treats it along with the way Cold Steel heat treated theirs but I like Vg10 for thinner, higher grit edges at a bit lower angles and VG1 I do a bit coarser with more bite at thicker angles. VG 1 was supposed to be chippy at one time reputation wise but like so many steels I never pushed hard enough on the thinness and hard use to have the problems others reported. It seems like the abrasion resistance in general is about the same with the grain structure being Vg10's real advantage. I don't recall any other Vg1 blades besides Cold Steel and IIRC I one Kershaw folder with it. I've heard VG1 is pretty similar to Sandviks 19C but I'm no expert on that either.

Let us know how it does for you Vivi. It should be another good steel in a good knife. Corrosion wise my guess is the finish will make more of a difference than the chemistry.

Joe
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:44 pm
VG-10 does everything VG-1 does, but does it better. It's just more expensive.

sal
sal, thank you. That puts the matter to rest for me. And what I also like is in the thread on VG10 that you indicated that as far as you know, Spyderco will continue to make blades in VG10. This is much appreciated! I also prefer convex and V grinds, and the appleseed grinds, and saber grinds. Thank you for having Enduras and other knives with those grinds in VG10.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I will be interested in Spyderco's VG1 or VG2 if they will implement it as VG10-VG1/2 dual core like how Shun did with their kitchen knives as described here: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/shun-kni ... ki-vg0018/
seems like a very interesting idea
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

While the damascus serration theory sounds good, has there been any actual research done on it?