Question regarding blade steel vs. hardware

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brackish

Question regarding blade steel vs. hardware

Post by Brackish »

So, I have to assume that even if Spyderco produces a knife in something like H1 or LC200N, the rest of the components (i.e. screws, locking mechanism, etc.) are not produced with that same steel type. Would I be correct in my assumption?
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
tvenuto

Re: Question regarding blade steel vs. hardware

Post by tvenuto »

I don’t think you are correct. The liners/lock may be in the case of Lc200N. The screws are not, just an extremely corrosion resistant stainless.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I've wondered this myself. I know that on some of the H1 models the hardware can get some corrosion whereas the blade stays clean. Granted these were extreme saltwater tests but it still tells me that the hardware SS is different from the blade steel.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

I recall when searching some long past posts where Sal mentioned that the lockbar on H1 Salt knives was also make of H1, and the hardware is things like 17-7PH steel:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/h1- ... st-2232008

Most of the Salt folding knives don't have any liners, which I believe is for this specific reason. The pocket clips are often Titanium. The barrel nuts I assume are plastic.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

guywithopinion wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:52 am
I recall when searching some long past posts where Sal mentioned that the lockbar on H1 Salt knives was also make of H1, and the hardware is things like 17-7PH steel:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/h1- ... st-2232008

Most of the Salt folding knives don't have any liners, which I believe is for this specific reason. The pocket clips are often Titanium. The barrel nuts I assume are plastic.
The barrels are also Ti I believe. Definitely not plastic and definitely not magnetic like the rest of the salt hardware.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What would a Spyderco knife look and perform like if it was made of 100 percent H1 or Lc200N?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:05 am

The barrels are also Ti I believe. Definitely not plastic and definitely not magnetic like the rest of the salt hardware.
I've swapped the clips on my Slats so many times that if the barrels were plastic they'd be worn, cracked and cammed out by now. :o
They are Ti or other very stainless metal :cool:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

We don’t need to know what the other hardware is made of, all that matters is how rust proof it is.

Nobody makes LC200N or H1 screws.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:05 am
That makes more sense. They sorta look/feel like plastic in the knife, I've not removed them though. The pocket clip doesn't strike me as being titanium either, though, but it is. So I'm not good at identifying titanium. ;)
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 am
We don’t need to know what the other hardware is made of, all that matters is how rust proof it is.
You don't need to know what any product is made of, as long as it performs as advertised. But quite a lot of people want to know what they are paying for, and not just take a manufacturer's word that it will perform.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:44 am
What would a Spyderco knife look and perform like if it was made of 100 percent H1 or Lc200N?
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... C200N/1035

A folder would probably look and perform a lot like the Foundry model (heavy for size and a framelock), except it would be rust proof and probably quite expensive. I think it would have to be a frame lock, as springs made out of H1 or LC200N might not have any durability. I'd guess machining screws and pocket clips and such out of blade steel would be very expensive.
sal

Post by sal »

Blades and locks have to be carefully considered. Materials and how they interact with each other, heat treat, etc. Other hardware must also be carefully considered in the making of a Salt. We usually use Ti clips. They work well, though more expensive. Barrel bolts are coated brass, screws can vary depending in what's available, we also use ceramic.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, it is interesting that brass is used. Brass is a very rust-resistant metal and has been with mankind for thousands of years. cool. Brass and Iron.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:18 pm
Blades and locks have to be carefully considered. Materials and how they interact with each other, heat treat, etc. Other hardware must also be carefully considered in the making of a Salt. We usually use Ti clips. They work well, though more expensive. Barrel bolts are coated brass, screws can vary depending in what's available, we also use ceramic.

sal
Thanks, Sal!
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)