St. Nick's Knives Exclusive Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BIGSTRETCH

Re: St. Nick's Knives Exclusive Para 3

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Spydersense wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm
Hgwxx7 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:34 am
Out of curiosity, would the DLC offer REX45 any increase in rust/corrosion resistance?
Nope. Here's a quote that supposedly came from TazKristi that I found on BF.

"The DLC does not help with corrosion at all. If your blade is going to rust then it will rust right through the DLC. Cleanup is the same, you can remove the rust without altering the coating at all."

All DLC coatings must not be created equal. There is a lot of research available online concerning DLC coating and rust resistance. It can help. Here is a Youtube vid that compares different coatings. His DLC coating performed relatively well against rust: https://youtu.be/QyUoFdjnOHg

It would be a pretty straightforward test for some brave soul to compare a couple Spydies and see how the coating fares vs an uncoated blade of the same steel, preferably same model and year too.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’d like RWL34 or CPM-154
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blues wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm
Seems rather pointless in that case. (Imho, of course.)

I believe the original intent was anti-glare. Like for soldiers on the battlefield who don't want to give away their positions. Snipers and such. Most non-professionals buy it either because it looks good (or tacti-cool), they don't like the looks of a patina'd blade, and the perceived corrosion resistance (real or not...a lot of people who use these knives day in and day out in harsh conditions swear up and down that it helps).

I love DLC from an aesthetics standpoint and when given the option of the same knife in the same steel I would choose DLC over non-DLC pretty much every time. I still think there is some anti-corrosion properties. I've heard people say that it holds a rust preventative better than non-coated, which makes sense and I've seemed to notice this myself in use. Similar to how I keep my black oxide impact sockets and bits coated with ATF to keep them from flash rusting.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

anybody know when in September it will get released?
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
blues

Post by blues »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:42 pm
blues wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm
Seems rather pointless in that case. (Imho, of course.)

I believe the original intent was anti-glare. Like for soldiers on the battlefield who don't want to give away their positions. Snipers and such. Most non-professionals buy it either because it looks good (or tacti-cool), they don't like the looks of a patina'd blade, and the perceived corrosion resistance (real or not...a lot of people who use these knives day in and day out in harsh conditions swear up and down that it helps).

I love DLC from an aesthetics standpoint and when given the option of the same knife in the same steel I would choose DLC over non-DLC pretty much every time. I still think there is some anti-corrosion properties. I've heard people say that it holds a rust preventative better than non-coated, which makes sense and I've seemed to notice this myself in use. Similar to how I keep my black oxide impact sockets and bits coated with ATF to keep them from flash rusting.
Might be. I don't know.

Speaking as a retired federal LEO with some years on SRT, I can't say that I remember too many folks obsessing whether their pocketknives were coated black. (Though most of our gear was either black or subdued.)

Oddly enough, however, the first black coated blade I ever purchased was a Benchmade AFCK in M2, (with a licensed Spydie hole, I am told), which was co-designed by former SEAL Chris Caracci, who, as it turns out was my first SWAT school instructor back in the late 80's or thereabouts. The black coating on the M2 steel was reputed to prevent oxidation even when rubbed off and that has proven to be the case on mine.

(I had no idea that Chris had designed the knife at the time of purchase. I just liked the knife and still have a couple.)

Later on we both met up on another knife related forum where I ended up a super mod...and so it goes. Circle of life knives.
- Retired from the chase -
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

Not to keep going down the DLC subject path alone, but it does help protect steel from corrosion in addition to the anti reflective property. This is per Spyderco's own literature with the DLC m4 PM2.

Back the the St Nick Para 3.. Come on A11!!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Spydersense wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm
Hgwxx7 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:34 am
Out of curiosity, would the DLC offer REX45 any increase in rust/corrosion resistance?
Nope. Here's a quote that supposedly came from TazKristi that I found on BF.

"The DLC does not help with corrosion at all. If your blade is going to rust then it will rust right through the DLC. Cleanup is the same, you can remove the rust without altering the coating at all."
So then it is either cosmetic, for those folks that think a black blade looks nice -- or it may be important to the real tactical folks (and the mall ninjas too), but a para 3 is hardly a "tactical" blade. So it is for looks, cosmetic - which can be nice.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Am I the only one hoping it's something I don't like or already have? My knife budget has been severly depleted by the Para3's already released this year :D And I need to save my pennies for that Micarta Shaman! St. Nicks sure picked a good exclusive color though. This will be tough to resist.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

No one else has their fingers crossed for Rex 121?

The REC exclusive's choice of steel really raised my hopes for getting some cool steels in sprints. It seems like some of the people ordering exclusives are starting to go "above" the standard steel ranges.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

oops
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
citori

Post by citori »

Their Delica is worth the asking price for me. I don't own a Para 3 and never thought about getting one, but if the steel offers something interesting I'll probably have to try it out.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:26 am
Am I the only one hoping it's something I don't like or already have? My knife budget has been severly depleted by the Para3's already released this year :D And I need to save my pennies for that Micarta Shaman! St. Nicks sure picked a good exclusive color though. This will be tough to resist.
I'm with you as well! I had zero Para3's when I joined this forum and now have 4! Rex,bbs m390,52100 cf and jade m4. I think I like the para3's the most.

Actually now that I think of it, I think Sal used some sort of web based MK-Ultra on me! :D Had 2 Spyderco's total when I started lurking around here and now I have 14.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:56 am
Actually now that I think of it, I think Sal used some sort of web based MK-Ultra on me! :D Had 2 Spyderco's total when I started lurking around here and now I have 14.
They certainly have a way of multiplying fast! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blues

Post by blues »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Maybe the company should have been named Rabbitco ;)

(BTW, I'm one who also thought the Para 3 would be of no particular interest or too small...one in Maxamet and one in Rex 45 say differently. Live and learn.)
blues

Post by blues »

double tap
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blues wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:51 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:
Maybe the company should have been named Rabbitco ;)

(BTW, I'm one who also thought the Para 3 would be of no particular interest or too small...one in Maxamet and one in Rex 45 say differently. Live and learn.)

Yep, I shunned the Para 3 at first and now I have a Rex and a Cruwear, an S110V, a Maxamet on the way, and Im going to try to buy the St. Nick's one and the DLC XHP Cutlery Shoppe one. I have zero PM2s now. :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
blues

Post by blues »

Zero PM2s? Well, that may be taking it a bit too far. :p
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blues wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am
Zero PM2s? Well, that may be taking it a bit too far. :p

Ha, yeah, it is a great knife, but I find them a bit too big for EDC, and then when I want something bigger than a Native or Para 3 I go for the Military or Manix. The PM2 for me is too big for a small knife and too small for a big knife.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I know. After living with one of Sharp Guy’s Para 3s for a couple of weeks I’ve grown more fond of the knife. I really like the Para Military 2 but when I had one it seemed too big (for me) to carry frequently. The Para 3 hits that sweet spot though and has most of the defining characteristics of the Para Military 2. However, I do like the longer blade on the Para Military 2, which is of course the reason it is bigger. So, looks like I am on the fence and will stay there for a while.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ferider

Post by ferider »

Sharp Guy wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:
You have to keep the boy and girl (stainless?) steels apart. Or use sheaths.