New 20CV Para 2!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Re: New 20CV Para 2!!!

Post by Wright.88 »

I received my two yesterday: they're both perfect examples as far as I can tell: centered, razor sharp, not quite free droppers but not far off, rock solid lockup. Really nice knives!
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Decisions decisions. Ok, I wanted just one of these but since my experience with buying Spydercos has shown me that I have to order two for every knife I am interested in because my luck with getting one with no issues about 50/50. So, I ordered two. They just came in a few minutes ago and sure enough, same thing. I can’t post a pic because see no option to do that via my IPad but one came with several pits in the steel near the tip. Not scratches. Look like scratches but when I look under a magnifying glass they are clearly pits in the steel. The other knife is fine. So, I got the one I wanted. My plan was to sell the other but now with this issue, and being one who believes in full disclosure, I doubt I could even get my money back. So, either return to vendor or send to Spyderco or sell and cross my fingers that I can break even.

Odd thing is I have bought 3 knives now in 20cv and 2 of the 3 had pits in the steel. Not sure what is going on.

But as for the good one, I really like it. Sweet knife.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Its funny to me sometimes being 30 minutes away from where they're manufactured and being one of the last to have my package arrive. Finally here! This G10 is quite interesting... as others have noted it is gray more often than tan. I had get outside in sunlight for the tan to really pop.
Once I set my Cruwear P3 next to it inside my eyes distinguished a bit.
I will say that mine is indeed off center to the show side as well.
Its not too bad and definitely nothing I think is outside of my skill set. Pehaps they had someone new finishing on this run, or one of the stations tools need some maintenance to adjust torque levels?
The blade shows no sign of pitting (I went and looked at my Yo2 after reading Flippings comment, no sign of it there either.)
Overall I am really happy with this knife. My 204P millie treats me so well that I am excited to get the same recipe in my fav platform.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Both of mine are great examples with good centering. 50/50 on one and like 47/53 on the other.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Any PM2 or Para3 is easy to adjust. It does take some finesse but they always come true.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 am
Two of these say they corrected it by a simple adjustment of the pivot screw.
Not pivot screws.

Those don't get tightened enough to keep the blade centered if the rest of the screws are causing some handle distortion. Handle screws are actually a reliable way to fix centering. I wish pivot screws would help me fix centering on both my pinned Caly 3s, but they don't.
Thanks. I stand corrected. I also now have an idea of what to try with the PM2 where I RIT dyed the scales and the blade ended up off center afterwards.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Here's a picture of black smooth G10, earth brown g10, and tan g10 PM2's so you can cross ref and get a better idea as to what the tan looks like - and yes the color does change slightly depending on the lighting. Personally, I think "Sand" or "Light Sand" is a better descriptor than "Tan". I'm fine with the color, but it is not a favorite. Was going to purchase a Be___M_d_ M_n_ Gr_pt_____n with g10 to try the CPM-20cv but this PM2 showed up so I've crossed the B--chM-d- off my shortlist. Wondering if I am done with PM2's now that I have three? I did have two in my cart then decided to back one out. Wonder who the last guy was to get one!!!

CG
Attachments
My pm2's.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Did you all see the DLC 20CV exclusive about to drop????

Jk! Just put some more appropriate scales on this fine piece of steel:l
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 pm
attila wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Not pivot screws.

Those don't get tightened enough to keep the blade centered if the rest of the screws are causing some handle distortion. Handle screws are actually a reliable way to fix centering. I wish pivot screws would help me fix centering on both my pinned Caly 3s, but they don't.
Thanks. I stand corrected. I also now have an idea of what to try with the PM2 where I RIT dyed the scales and the blade ended up off center afterwards.
I'm assuming that you you have the pivot bushings on the right sides. One has a tiny notch and matches a key on the liner.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice swap knickknack!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:05 pm
Thanks for the heads up! Would love to have a link or info.

Jk! Just put some more appropriate scales on this fine piece of steel:l
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

KnickKnackCity wrote:

Lol! Nice! I said a long time ago that the DLC would look way better with these light tan scales. And it sure as heck does! Someone needs to do an exclusive in this combo! I'll take a Native, Para 3, and Military please.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

As a strong advocate for the original version!
0IM6zcdh.jpg
Those OD Green scales with the satin hardware and blade just don't do it for me
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Crux

Post by Crux »

I am so fighting my desire to buy these awesome knives. I promised the Misses Para 3 only. :confused:
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Crux wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 am
I am so fighting my desire to buy these awesome knives. I promised the Misses Para 3 only. :confused:
I bet a 20CV or M390 Para 3 is in the planning.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Thanks Tkok! I had you in mind a couple of times while breaking down these knifes. I had this project in mind since DLT announced. I am definitely on team 20CV as being the best all-around "outdoor steel" for my uses, but these lighter colored G10's show dirt like crazy so I knew I needed a swap. I didn't anticipate liking the DLC OD combo as much as a did. You are right, really fine and unique looking variant. Personally I like the OD and satin a bit more though. Also, I am planning on putting a ton of miles on the trail with my new 20CV, so having the reflective blade and clip gives me an inch of chance of finding it if dropped.
steelcity16 wrote: Lol! Nice! I said a long time ago that the DLC would look way better with these light tan scales. And it sure as heck does! Someone needs to do an exclusive in this combo! I'll take a Native, Para 3, and Military please.
Thanks Steely! You did indeed sir and you were for sure correct! This black & tan is the jam. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if DLT follows up these runs with coated versions of both the PM2 and P3.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

OD and stonewashed would be a good combo...or OD with the blade finish the Brown S35v Para 3 has. Even better if all the hardware was finished the same as well.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Crux wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 pm
attila wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Not pivot screws.

I'm assuming that you you have the pivot bushings on the right sides. One has a tiny notch and matches a key on the liner.
Hmm, well after this tip, I took it apart last night, didn't find the notch but did swap the washers left for right and centering is much better.

But in the process I discovered a handle torx screw is missing, so the search will start for a replacement. The lesson here is that locktite is your friend and if you do any kind of disassembly, you need to secure the screws afterwards. Even fingernail polish will do. Who knows when/where that screw dropped out.
animportant

Post by animportant »

17 on eBay jeez. My phone was dead and I forgot until hours after the drop. I bet in a month or two the hype will die down and so will the prices.
rivy

Post by rivy »

animportant wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:11 am
17 on eBay jeez. My phone was dead and I forgot until hours after the drop. I bet in a month or two the hype will die down and so will the prices.
Haven't looked at the prices, but sometimes more competition is better on ebay. When there are less knives for sales the prices may go up.