New 20CV Para 2!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: New 20CV Para 2!!!

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:46 pm
ceast wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:56 pm
i'd imagine that some flippers are doing it help offset the cost of the hobby. Buy two, one to keep, one to mark up and resell to someone who's willing/able to shell out.
Hey !! What an idea! I never thought of that. :cool:

Hypothetical situation...

1,200 exclusives...1,200 knife lovers want one to use...limit 2 per person...fastest 600 people to check out get two each and list their *extra* on ebay for double the price...slowest 600 who missed out at the dealer drop begrudgingly pay the inflated ebay price because they really wanted this particular model

or

1,200 exclusives...1,200 knife lovers want one to use...limit 2 per person...everyone decides its stupid to try to profit a few bucks at the expense of other community memebers (especially since the majority of the markup goes to ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping, insurance, etc.) and all 1,200 people who want a knife buy one single knife at retail from the dealer

which situation is better for the spyderco community??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
anycal

Post by anycal »

I have been through a few PM2s. Never disappointing.

Peter
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

anycal wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:36 pm
I have been through a few PM2s. Never disappointing.

I have as well and you are right on the mark, I've never been disappointed in any of any of them. I think this one may be the sharpest out of the box of all of mine. :) Oh yeah, love the paws.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 pm
C'mon...what's the point of mucking up this thread by continuously moaning about the opportunists. You're preaching to the choir here. I'm sure most here don't like it anymore than you but what can you do about it? It's how our economy works. Supply and demand. As long as there are people who have the money to pay the high prices there will be people who will happily sell to them. I don't mean to come off as harsh but if you think you're going stop this by posting about it here you sadly mistaken. People sell stuff to people who will buy stuff. It happens everyday. No sense getting upset or worrying about it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm
C'mon...what's the point of mucking up this thread by continuously moaning about the opportunists. You're preaching to the choir here.
There is sense in what you say. This business of complaining about scalpers is one of these recirculating topics that comes up again and
again on the forum. I suppose it gets wearisome. No doubt there are some scalpers on the forum, and maybe there is a benefit of making
them feel like the low-down worthless scum that they are, but maybe we should give it a rest.

As someone once told me, a good deal is whenever you have a willing seller and a willing buyer.

And as someone else said, "the early bird gets the worm".

The knife I received today is pretty nice too, and I am thankful to have it, and sort of amazed given how fast it sold out.
DLT did a great job with the whole deal. I can imagine them adding extra staff for the "big day" in order to get hundreds
of knives boxed, labelled, and shipped out. Pretty amazing.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have never sold a knife except one to a friend. The left-handed PM2. Every knife I carry has a replacement which is why my desk drawer if full of them. (I'm a knife ho) I do think if someone legitimately buys 2 knives and sells one for what the market price is that person isn't really a scalper. My concern are the people that buy in bulk just to sell them later.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

This PM2 is rad. For the price, I would say the best yet. I really am glad I ordered one; 2 days shipping to Hawaii, great success. My only regret was not buying 2.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Mine came today and it’s not centered at all, but it’s fine. I love the scales and the blade came wicked sharp on mine! Love it.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 pm
C'mon...what's the point of mucking up this thread by continuously moaning about the opportunists. You're preaching to the choir here. I'm sure most here don't like it anymore than you but what can you do about it? It's how our economy works. Supply and demand. As long as there are people who have the money to pay the high prices there will be people who will happily sell to them. I don't mean to come off as harsh but if you think you're going stop this by posting about it here you sadly mistaken. People sell stuff to people who will buy stuff. It happens everyday. No sense getting upset or worrying about it.

Hear hear...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very strange to hear of so many off centered issues, though normally an easy fix with some tinkering. I just couldn't pull the trigger on this one, but I'm glad most of you seem to like it! Then again, how often do we have a knife released that everyone is complaining about??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 am
Very strange to hear of so many off centered issues, though normally an easy fix with some tinkering. I just couldn't pull the trigger on this one, but I'm glad most of you seem to like it! Then again, how often do we have a knife released that everyone is complaining about??
Now wait a minute. I just went back and counted 4 posts that mention off center knives. Two of these say they corrected it by a simple adjustment of the pivot screw. So let's not blow this up into something it isn't.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

4 is more than I've seen about any other new release. Especially considering how they were posted so closely together. Makes me think there will be more to come. Not turning it into something it is...just stating what I've been reading...
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I received mine yesterday. This is an interesting color (which is a good thing). In some lights it looks warm-grey. In others I would call it ivory/off-white. And it manages to look tan sometimes too!
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Received mine yesterday too. Blade is centered fine, but doesn't drop free, which is ok. Tried to loosen/adjust the pivot and it seems to be TIG welded maybe? Did the light tapping on the driver end, did the hot water... didn't budge. So, it'll get carried, loved, and used like it is :) and perhaps it'll break in a bit over a week or two. I'm happy with it, and grateful that I was able to get it

u.w.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

u.w. wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:34 am
Did the light tapping on the driver end, did the hot water... didn't budge.
A light tap probably isn't going to break the bond. I lay the pivot on a small block of wood, insert the appropriate-sized bit, and give it 3 or 4 pretty good whacks with a small plastic mallet. Not so hard that you cause damage to the knife but hard enough to break the bond. I've probably done 20 knives now (including two in the past couple days) and it's worked every time for me. Only once did I have to go back and give it a few more whacks to finally loosen it. Most of the time I get it on the first try. Also, make sure you're using good torx bits and a driver that you get plenty of leverage with.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:03 am
u.w. wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:34 am
Did the light tapping on the driver end, did the hot water... didn't budge.
A light tap probably isn't going to break the bond. I lay the pivot on a small block of wood, insert the appropriate-sized bit, and give it 3 or 4 pretty good whacks with a small plastic mallet. Not so hard that you cause damage to the knife but hard enough to break the bond. I've probably done 20 knives now (including two in the past couple days) and it's worked every time for me. Only once did I have to go back and give it a few more whacks to finally loosen it. Most of the time I get it on the first try. Also, make sure you're using good torx bits and a driver that you get plenty of leverage with.

I've found that a good t-handle bit holder and quality bits will work best. The t-handle allows you to really get a tight fit on the screw and provides a ton of leverage. PB Swiss are my favorite bits. I think they are even a notch above Wiha, Wera, Snap-On, etc. They are tool obsessed perfectionists from Switzerland. Kind of the Spyderco of the hand-tool world! :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I had some stubborn clip screws in my REX 45 PM2 that wouldn't come lose. Some heat from a soldering iron broke the loctite bond for me. I don't think hot water will get enough heat deep inside the screw to loosen it.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Attention flippers, can you guys hurry up and sell these things? You’re clogging up my fleabay search results for the stuff I actually want to buy :D
attila

Post by attila »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 am
Now wait a minute. I just went back and counted 4 posts that mention off center knives. Two of these say they corrected it by a simple adjustment of the pivot screw. So let's not blow this up into something it isn't.
Not pivot screws.

Those don't get tightened enough to keep the blade centered if the rest of the screws are causing some handle distortion. Handle screws are actually a reliable way to fix centering. I wish pivot screws would help me fix centering on both my pinned Caly 3s, but they don't.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:03 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for the pointers. I'll definitely give'm a go.

u.w.