Caly 3.5 (at last)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Caly 3.5 (at last)

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m a very late adopter, as you can tell....

I’ve had a Caly 3 SE from new, various UKPK’s but always wanted a VG10 Caly 3.5, and yesterday one finally arrived. They seem remarkably scarce. I’ve hovered over the ZDP version many times, but my peace-of-mind much prefers stainless.

And guess what - everything good about it that I’ve read is true - the svelte handle, the remarkably large blade, the smooth Moki action.

So, today, I’m drying my tears of Rex-less-ness and enjoying a Classic!

Now, if only it were in M390, had Ti scales and a liner lock ..... (joke).
anycal

Re: Caly 3.5 (at last)

Post by anycal »

One of those knives (probably the only one) that has been in my shopping cart several times. Not sure what I am waiting for. I like Caly 3 a lot, and I am confident 3.5 would be a hit - looking at the ZDP CF model.

A sprint/exclusive would certainly do the trick.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Since I generally prefer models with 3" blades I didn't have much interest in the Caly 3.5. While waiting for the Caly 3 sprint to drop there was an "amazing deal" on the CF/ZDP Caly 3.5. The price was too good to pass up. So I ordered one. I'm now very glad I did. Amazing amount of blade in a relatively small package.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is one of those knives I have wanted but never bought. I already have the Caly3. However, if Spyderco brought this knife out in HAP40 and green G10 like they did the Caly3, I would have to find a way to get one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anycal

Post by anycal »

^^ Ha!

I have some points with KC and I thought, you know, with $20 off, why not, let's do it. Then I thought about the green HAP40 version of this knife.

Here I am, empty handed... again...
Peter
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

IMHO the Caly 3.5 still ranks among one of the best designs Spyderco has ever produced. I have the Caly 3, 3.5 VG10, and 3.5 ZDP. However, I must admit my interest has waned a bit in light of newer technology and materials. The Mantra 3 looks like the evolution but appears to be more of a combination of the Delica and Caly, and not quite the same. Plus the Mantra 3 only offers a 3" blade.

I would love to see a refresh to the Caly 3.5, a model that stays true to the dimensions of the original but incorporates some of today's popular design philosophy and materials such as: serviceable construction (as opposed to pinned), compression lock, front flipper, maybe a CF+TI version, and any one of today's popular steels like M390/CPM 20CV/CTS 204P.

However, until that day comes (which may be never) I'll still enjoy my originals :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love my caly 3.5 vg10 :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I have a vg-10 version and the super blue and love them both. Actually I have yet to try a Caly 3 because I prefer the longer blade. Really hoping for some new Caly 3.5s in the near future. I know there has been talk of an frn version, which would be great, but I also would like to see some more regular production or sprint g10 runs.
Definitely one of my all time favorite spyderco designs.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Jmotley wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm
I have a vg-10 version and the super blue and love them both. Actually I have yet to try a Caly 3 because I prefer the longer blade. Really hoping for some new Caly 3.5s in the near future. I know there has been talk of an frn version, which would be great, but I also would like to see some more regular production or sprint g10 runs.
Definitely one of my all time favorite spyderco designs.
I was surprised at how much I loved the caly 3 sprint actually. I'm usually carrying knives comparable in length to the pm2, which is my ideal.
The delica and native however hold a special place for me as well, and I bought the caly 3 sprint just to have one (hap40 being my steel of choice in smaller folders as well). In my opinion the caly 3 is one of the best smaller folders in terms of ergonomics. It definitely beats out the delica and frankly, the native too which I used to measure other folders in that size ratio to. It fits my hand perfectly, the placement of fingers feels natural and allows for a strong grip all around. To me it's like a perfect combination of all that makes a native (leaf shaped blade, great ergos) and the delica (firm grip due to high jimping securing your thumb). Got another one to keep back should I ever lose my user.
It feels like no compromises have been made, and the action is very smooth over time as well. Spydieflicking is very possible and it nearly free drops when the back lock is disengaged.

I've been trying to justify getting a 3.5 after this overwhelming positive experience but other blades got in the way haha. The 3.5 is sexy as **** though. It's sure to be added to my collection eventually.
For reference.